• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Perhaps I analyse too much (well, I do) and notice trends too easily....

Anyway: everywhere I go at present, any city or large town in the UK, I'm noticing people wearing Canada Goose arctic jackets. I didn't initially understand the significance of these little badges on the arms of people, but I've now worked it out....

Although targeting a somewhat different demographic I've noticed the last couple of years that the British brand Páramo has become pretty ubiquitous. That demographic is probably one that sees itself above such brand influence, but it's clearly working very well.

Actually, I think it's probably good gear, although it's always felt a bit flimsy and shapeless to me - it's just that it appears to have very rapidly become standard outdoor gear for fair-weather walkers and people who actually don't really do outdoor stuff at all; a group I once christened the 'Ramblers of Rohan' - Rohan being an older standard brand for that group.

I’m not saying everyone who favours the stuff is like that – just that it’s a pretty visible group. And I'd emphasise that I think both companies probably produce quality gear - I've got a couple of old Rohan items myself somewhere, and they are pretty well indestructible.

I believe that the company may have launched a quite aggressive sales campaign around three/four years ago - having been buying gear in at least two different shops when brand reps were on site, and listening in on how they went about it. From what I could tell they also insist that if shops sell the brand, then they also have to display Nikwax waterproofing – which was created by the same guy who launched Páramo. In fact, the latter is referenced on the sleeve patch, which - if you hadn't noticed it already - you will now see absolutely everywhere:

Paramo 2.jpg

Paramo.jpg

Codpieces are always lurking somewhere in the murkier corners of the collective psyche.
Let that be a warning to everyone, you don't want to bump into a lurking codpiece.

I suspect not one of those pockets is functional. However, it’s nice that fashion designers have created a code to say ‘Step Away From This Vain Entitled Rich Dick.’ while still extracting large amounts of money from them.

1649799671902.jpeg

The tiny little prick size alien is safe in the see-through cockpit of its human
simulation device. But you have to look closely to see it's little snoot.
1649800243137.jpeg

I'm sure these fashions were considered lovely back in the 1920s, but I'm glad we've marched on to different clothing:
Where I live in Brighton (UK) none of those would be considered odd or strange.

A few weeks back on the sea front I saw about 10 or 12 people in period costume riding Penny Farthings. No one really took any notice.

Last week I saw three blokes, I assume, walking down a main road street dressed up as bananas. Again, no one really stopped and starred. Life just went on as normal.

Back