• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Think of it as a triple dickey for two arms as well as the neck.

How did we miss this one?
For those who love topiary:
Christian Siriano style Getty images.jpg

Here is the Vogue's idea of fashion for 21st century men, from the February 1939 edition.
It's probably supposed to be 2039.

Note the surrounding arty electricity images. BANG up to date, and I do mean BANG.

View attachment 33572
Obviously they also predicted Tesla coils would be popular and futuristic in 21st century.

Here is the Vogue's idea of fashion for 21st century men, from the February 1939 edition.

View attachment 33572

Even in 1939, it couldn't have been a good idea to wear a chain mail vest and a metal fruit basket on your head around high-voltage equipment. That thing on his chest is probably a fire extinguisher . . .

Perhaps this isn't a new kind of garment, but I've never encountered it before.

The Turtle-Neck Sleeve-Scarf (really).

Actually, seeing it on the model, this is perfect for me! If my neck is warm, I'm warm - cue a lot of scarf-wearing this week - and this would be ideal for layering in our cold north-facing study. Sign me up.

Go look at the Gerry Anderson series "UFO", set in 1980. The men on the SkyDiver submarine-aircraft wore mesh tops. Alas, while women also served, their tops were mesh but with an underlayer. (Naughty young me back then! :angel: )

Last edited:
The progression from expedition wear specialty shop to mass market fashion company is characteristic of a number of formerly cutting-edge outdoors apparel manufacturers. Generally, these are companies whose products were once state of the art but are now mass marketed as fashion items for urban / suburban wannabes. Other examples include:

- Filson (high quality wool and canvas outerwear; once the gold standard for backwoodsmen)
- Eddie Bauer (once among the premier manufacturers of down apparel)
- Woolrich / John Rich & Co. (once famous for their Arctic down parkas)
- L. L. Bean

Each of these companies has gone mass-market and upscale over the last few decades. By and large their products are still of reasonable or higher quality (Filson's stuff is still superb), but anachronistic in terms of technology / performance.
I remember when i was ain my teens and a member of the scouts/ventures i had a set of helly hanson thermal underwear, at the time it was a niche clothing brand, niwdays i cant turn around without bumping into someone wearing helly hanson

I haven't noticed these but I have been noticing people wearing coats with something like "Super Dry Japan" or something on them and have wondered about it.

On top brands - we have a friend who travels a great deal for work and who splashed out on a super-light, super-tough suitcase to try and lessen the pain of having to carry heavy luggage about all the time. He tried in vain to rough it up a bit to disguise it a bit before parting with it on to airport carousels but because it was so super tough, he didn't really succeed. He then found himself pursued by suitcase enthusiasts in airports. Yes, people recognise suitcase brands.
Ironically 'superdry japan' is a british company set up by a british guy lol

Merkins. :) I've often joked that if it were deemed fashionable to walk around with your willy hanging out of your jeans, some would be idiotic enough to do so. Now I'm not so sure it is a joke.
To quote George W Bush "ma fellow mirkins" lol

I know I'm late to this particular thread but, after reviewing it ...
Just f*ck it: Wildly offensive English language t-shirts are apparently all the rage in Asia
Where can I get some of these?
As a fan of the "Abroad in Japan" You Tube channel, the merchandise includes a wonderful design of which I just had to purchase ...
1610384723890.png

I'm waiting for these to come back into fashion again! ...

I'd love to find fishnet / mesh underwear again, but not for the sake of fashion ...

I always preferred fishnet base layers for strenuous (very) cold weather hiking and backpacking. The mesh provided an insulating air space next to the skin which offered better ventilation during strenuous exertion and avoided having to (e.g.) unzip and vent in sub-freezing (e.g., -20 F.) conditions. Wicking poly-pro base layers supplanted old school mesh, but I never found the newer togs as persistently comfortable in such conditions.

It helps wick away the sweat when he's dancing on the podium in nightclubs.

I'm waiting for these to come back into fashion again!...

I believe that the first item was once used by fishermen, for catching crabs.

The second is clearly a religious vestment (known in Victorian times as a 'gentleman's chastity blouse') - designed to ensure that should the wearer reach for items of 'bachelor art' from their usual location on the top shelf of his local newsagent an act of self castration will take place.

(Not to be confused with 'Porlock's Universal Incontinence Shirt' - which was similar in design, but made of rubberised canvas and had a tap on the side.)

I'm reminded of the Goodies and their song String ...
"Put on yer pants,
Put on yer vest,
Everyone knows
String is best!"

Doctor, my poo comes out like chips when I go to the toilet.

Pull up your string vest - boom tsch.

I used to have one of those 'body' things (for women) when they were in fashion back in the 80's. They were chiefly noted for two things - the frantic groping at your crotch when you were desperate for the loo and trying to undo your bodysuit on your way across the bar and the sudden popping sound and then the resultant flappy gusset when you stood up too quickly and the poppers spontaneously uncoupled.

Yeah, but they were so closely associated by fellers with, well, underwear that could be like, y'know, basques an' corsets 'n' stuff!
Dead sexy!
Alan Davis did a really good routine about this in his stand-up act. We blokes had it easy! I mean (as he posits) ... if we blokes wore similar then, well, we might catch a bollock between the poppers! It's all very well, listening to the quiet 'pop pop pop ' of the gusset-release, symbolising the accessibility of the ... region but if we blokes had to quickly re-fasten and caught a ball, well, then, gangrene might get involved! o_O

I'd love to find fishnet / mesh underwear again, but not for the sake of fashion ...

I always preferred fishnet base layers for strenuous (very) cold weather hiking and backpacking. The mesh provided an insulating air space next to the skin which offered better ventilation during strenuous exertion and avoided having to (e.g.) unzip and vent in sub-freezing (e.g., -20 F.) conditions. Wicking poly-pro base layers supplanted old school mesh, but I never found the newer togs as persistently comfortable in such conditions.
178822_1.jpg

I used to have one of those 'body' things (for women) when they were in fashion back in the 80's. They were chiefly noted for two things - the frantic groping at your crotch when you were desperate for the loo and trying to undo your bodysuit on your way across the bar and the sudden popping sound and then the resultant flappy gusset when you stood up too quickly and the poppers spontaneously uncoupled.
Remember those in Absolutely Fabulous, flapping in the breeze?

Back