• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Especially puppy crocs!
:D
Unlike this poor embarrassed-looking pooch.

shopping.png

Tell you what was a GREAT fashion: Hot Pants. Yup, shorts that you wore with tights like a skirt, and with knee-length boots if you were lucky.
Sometimes they had a bib like little dungarees.

I loved them. They were like wearing trousers which was still frowned on for women and girls.
If girls at my Grammar school wore trousers or Hot Pants to school events they were sent to the changing rooms to borrow a lost property sports skirt to wear instead.

Made no sense - why was a short skirt more modest than full-length smart trousers?
This didn't happen to me but I saw perfectly respectable teenage girls treated like this.

Anyway, Hot Pants. Possibly the most glamorous garment I have ever worn. It's all been downhill since then.
I seem to remember if anybody turned up to my junior school wearing hot pants there was a massive commotion, kids used to chant ‘hot pants, hot pants!’ as the wearer walked across the playground in the morning. No idea why it was so exciting but obviously the fuss probably contributed to the rarity.

If girls at my Grammar school wore trousers or Hot Pants to school events they were sent to the changing rooms to borrow a lost property sports skirt to wear instead.

Made no sense - why was a short skirt more modest than full-length smart trousers?
A girl wearing trousers? That would be so masculine, don't you think? Highly inappropriate!

I recently learned that in France during the first half of the 20th century it was illegal for women to wear pants. When they wore their son's or husband's trousers during the privations of war (to stay warm, of course, since there was no coal for heat), they were actually breaking the law. I haven't read of anyone getting jail time for it though. I guess the Nazis and the Vichy officials were focusing on other things.

Last edited:
A girl wearing trousers? That would be so masculine, don't you think? Highly inappropriate!

I recently learned that in France during the first half of the 20th century it was illegal for women to wear pants. When they wore their son's or husband's trousers during the privations of war (to stay warm, of course, since there was no coal for heat), they were actually breaking the law. I haven't read of anyone getting jail time for it though. I guess the Nazis and the Vichy officials were focusing on other things.
That's mad! There have been laws against the wearing of all sorts of clothing and shoes through history.
We have experts who know all about it. :wink2:

During the Troubles in Northern Ireland female police and soldiers on patrol wore skirts and never trousers.
The was to enable snipers to distinguish them from the men. It would be considered unsporting to shoot a woman.

Tell you what was a GREAT fashion: Hot Pants. Yup, shorts that you wore with tights like a skirt, and with knee-length boots if you were lucky.
Sometimes they had a bib like little dungarees.

I loved them. They were like wearing trousers which was still frowned on for women and girls.

This didn't happen to me but I saw perfectly respectable teenage girls treated like this.

Anyway, Hot Pants. Possibly the most glamorous garment I have ever worn. It's all been downhill since then.
You got the look rocking...

ca2b68d1995610b147e8edd89dfc9f02.jpg

You got the look rocking...

View attachment 46021
Haha, I wish! :chuckle:

This is how I wanted to look in the '70s, like the impossibly cool Carly Simon -

Carly Simon.jpeg

Had a cassette with that picture so it was no more than 2.5 inches square and it was the first I'd ever seen of her.
Now you can look at the whole series taken on the day and even *sigh* identify the location should you wish to re-create the shot.

...During the Troubles in Northern Ireland female police and soldiers on patrol wore skirts and never trousers.
The was to enable snipers to distinguish them from the men. It would be considered unsporting to shoot a woman.

I've heard that too - but given that IEDs and mortars don't make judgements based on attire, it would seem a bit pointless. I suspect the deep conservatism of the Loyalist hegemony also played a part.

(That said, a loose fitting skirt would help break up the profile of an individual, but wouldn't be much use given the usual focus of a sniper's shot. I reckon a skirt, a cape and a mitznefet would be optimum apparel - but I don't see the paras adopting that as regular combat dress anytime soon.)

Last edited:
I've heard that too - but given that IEDs and mortars don't make judgements based on attire, it would seem a bit pointless. I suspect the deep conservatism of the Loyalist hegemony also played a part.

True but female RUC casualties were usually inside vehicles or or mortared barracks, same with female soldiers. In particular off duty female part time UDR soldiers were never targeted but 100 serving (and former) part time UDR members who were male were killed.while off duty.

(That said, a loose fitting skirt would help break up the profile of an individual, but wouldn't be much use given the usual focus of a sniper's shot. I reckon a skirt, a cape and a mitznefet would be optimum apparel - but I don't see the paras adopting that as regular combat dress anytime soon.)
True but female RUC casualties were usually inside vehicles or or mortared barracks, same with female soldiers. In particular off duty female part time UDR soldiers were never targeted but 100 serving (and former) part time UDR members who were male were killed.while off duty.
I saw this skirt business explained in a TV documentary, illustrated with grainy security footage of night patrols where the skirts showed up well. Good enough for a sniper.

I saw this skirt business explained in a TV documentary, illustrated with grainy security footage of night patrols where the skirts showed up well. Good enough for a sniper.

Yep - I think I’ve seen that, possibly as part of Peter Taylor's Troubles based trilogy of documentary series' on the BBC back in the 90's.

I'm not doubting that the thing is said to be a thing - I'm just not sure that there's any real evidence that the various groups involved really did eschew the killing of women as a matter of course, and I can’t help feeling that the figures reflect the ratio of women to men in the various target groups as much as they do any real reluctance to target females per se.

Although that ratio is certainly reflected in the numbers there's no shortage of female names listed in the epic Lost Lives (Feeney, Kelters, McKittrick, Thornton, McVea): Alleged female touts were abducted and executed; Heidi Hazell, a British soldier's wife was shot while sitting alone in her car near Dortmund; women who were clearly women were shot side by side with their targeted husbands; in fact, at least one off-duty female UDR member was deliberately targeted - Margaret Ann Hearst; a female census worker in Derry was shot point blank in the head. That's from a five-minute scan of the book. (And I should point out that it’s not my intention to be partisan - women were killed by all sides.)

The numbers are very definitely much lower (according to one website - which itself appears to use Lost Lives as its source – around 10%), but to my mind it’s a moot argument as to whether these are exceptions that prove the rule - or represent a statistical truth, rather than a moral one. And, going back to the original point, if it were proved that gunmen really did avoid female targets due to the application of some sort of moral code, it still seems a bit of a technicality – given the number that would be killed by more anonymous means.

(Lost Lives is a book which was written with the intention of documenting every single life lost as a direct result of the Troubles. It's pretty epic, and now horrendously expensive.)

…if it were proved that gunmen really did avoid female targets due to the application of some sort of moral code…

Any group which could perpetrate, for example, the La Mon restaurant atrocity has no moral code.

lf there was any hesitancy on their part about murdering women, l’d suggest it related more to the bad publicity such a crime would attract, rather than any ethical qualms.

maximus otter

Last edited:

The next fashion trend is clothes that don't exist

The online metaverse is coming and if we're going to be spending more time in virtual worlds, there's one crucial question: What are you going to wear?

"When I first started talking about this, my friends were like, 'What are you talking about?'" said 27-year-old Daniella Loftus.

1633352747_949165_1633352918_noticia_normal.jpg

"But my 14-year-old cousins understood it immediately."

For many, the idea of buying clothes that don't exist is a conceptual leap too far.

But emerging digital fashion stores are tapping into a growing market -- not actual clothes but digitally generated outfits that stores simply photoshop onto a customer's photos or videos to be posted onto Instagram and elsewhere.

Soon they are likely to become a way to dress your avatar when interacting in online games and meeting places, all potentially while reclining in sweat pants in your own home.

3ce8a65b766624c831d424588642c866.jpg

British influencer Loftus sees so much potential that last month she gave up her job with a fashion consultancy to devote herself full-time to her website, This Outfit Does Not Exist.

Her Instagram shows the potential of virtual clothing that doesn't need to obey the laws of physics -- from a shimmering silver liquid pant suit with tentacles, to a wobbling pink creation with lasers firing out of her bustier.

"Digital is coming to overtake physical. Kids are asking each other: 'What skin did you have in this game yesterday?'" said Loftus.

https://news.yahoo.com/next-fashion-trend-clothes-dont-102535368.html

maximus otter

The recent MET Gala is full of strange fashion.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/the-met-2021-gala-another-display-of-the-elites-insanity/

Lots of people in BDSM / gimp masks this year.

Bonus conspiracy / illuminati angle in the linked article.

It is interesting to note that a lot of male guests are been coerced into wearing skirts. An American althlete ( basketball player I think ) has gone on record with GQ magazine to say he was dead against wearing one......he caved in the end. All in the article .

The recent MET Gala is full of strange fashion.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/latestnews/the-met-2021-gala-another-display-of-the-elites-insanity/

Lots of people in BDSM / gimp masks this year.

Bonus conspiracy / illuminati angle in the linked article.

It is interesting to note that a lot of male guests are been coerced into wearing skirts. An American althlete ( basketball player I think ) has gone on record with GQ magazine to say he was dead against wearing one......he caved in the end. All in the article .
I thought the woman with the white contacts looked amazing!!

I'd love to put all black ones in but I just can't stick things in my eyes!

Having been to torture garden I love their costumes even if I personally would not wear them!

If you're looking forward to your first holiday party since before COVID, but don't know what to wear, considering dressing as dessert:
donut dress.jpg
This item is from 2017, so you might find it at a discount now.

Alternatively, if you're worried about the weight you gained during COVID, and want to hide it, wear a dress that's supposed to be
rounder than you are:
Bubble dress.jpg

Have we had hi-fashion hi-visibility before?
Balenciaga are flogging these jackets, a snip at nearly three grand. Much mocked. :hahazebs:

It's like when you wear serious outdoor gear for the pub, only in this you'd be asked to leave for turning up in workwear. :chuckle:

Balenciaga logo print parka.jpg

It occurred to me that an excuse might be how useful such a jacket might be in an emergency such as changing a wheel in a snowstorm; nah. People who can afford this coat don't need to get it dirty.

(Safe Irish Examiner link.)

Would you pay €3k for a high vis jacket?

Now we have high visibility jackets by Balenciaga.

The luxury fashion house has released its Reversible Logo-Print Parka, as seen on the runway, for an eye-watering €2,990.

While the renowned designer's price point isn't exactly a surprise, its inspiration might be.

Back