• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

I'm sure these fashions were considered lovely back in the 1920s, but I'm glad we've marched on to different clothing:

View attachment 56035

View attachment 56036

Some were really elegant:

View attachment 56037
The third picture reminded me of standing behind an elderly lady in a queue who was wearing a fox stole round her neck. My mum may have had one once but I'd forgotten it still had the fox head and feet attached. A brave look for some-one of a more modern generation.

Some gorgeous Jersey Shore fashions from the 1920s:

1654948751465.png

1922 Atlantic City, I can see where the 1960s mini skirts originated:

1654948849882.png

The men were just as fashionable:

1654948900879.png

1654949046794.png

Last edited by a moderator:
100 years ago, I might have my long hair in 'kielbasy curls' as pictured, and look at the beautiful 'finger waves' of the 1920s:

1655036257433.png

1655036293549.png

1655036767577.png

1655036946277.png

These are great! Thanks for posting.

Has anyone else noticed how fit and not fat everyone looked?
So true, both men and women were for the most part so lovely and slim!
My doctor told me that people used to eat less than we do today, and they were used to walking everywhere, several miles a day.
I wonder about the foods of today also - after all, if one looks at the photos of the Hyde Park festival and Woodstock of 1969, everyone was quite thin.

So true, both men and women were for the most part so lovely and slim!
My doctor told me that people used to eat less than we do today, and they were used to walking everywhere, several miles a day.
I wonder about the foods of today also - after all, if one looks at the photos of the Hyde Park festival and Woodstock of 1969, everyone was quite thin.
They had high-fat diets back then. Bread and dripping for breakfast.
We have 'healthy' food today. Hmmm.

They had high-fat diets back then. Bread and dripping for breakfast.
We have 'healthy' food today. Hmmm.
We are also consuming food that is genetically tampered with, I try to stay way from all that.
But exercise is so important.

I've got a handed down for stole with the legs and head. He's ca!!ed Gilbert and gets an airing at Brighluse 40s weekend
I've got my grandma's. It looks spectacular when she's wearing it in photos in the 1930s (she was a bit of a style icon, always immaculately dressed). But he looks comical, now.

If he had been anyone else's I'd have given him a decent burial in the garden but it's one of the few things I have of my grandma's and I can't bring myself to part with him. He's faded and battered now and his glass eyes look like teddy bear eyes.

I once put him on my son's bed to terrify him (it worked). That's how scary he looks. But in photos of my grandma wearing him, he looks really impressive...

Although picture one was presumably for beach or swimming pool, whereas now it would be considered rather restrained for a visit to the supermarket. Is that Josephine Baker in the last picture?
Yes, it is. I wanted to include everybody.

Back