• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Anyone still have a Cromby ?

I do, and occasionally wear it in winter. Very practical in extreme cold as it keeps your legs warm.

Just Googled this coat. And was amazed at the cost. A camel coloured all wool (like mine) is now a snip at £495. Down from £895.

I wonder what my Armani Tuxedo cost these days.

INT21.

oh that tiny handbag is splendid. It would be just the thing to go with my new Balenciaga coat
3508.jpg

It would be just the thing to go with my new Balenciaga coat

there are days I would love to have that. Retreat inside it and never come out!

I had one off my father, wore it over a cave-man outfit one cold New Years party. No idea where it went after that.

I LOVE parties like that!

there are days I would love to have that. Retreat inside it and never come out!

I LOVE parties like that!
One lady wondered what cavemen wore under their animal skin (and checked) and another did something quite naughty with the baseball bat 'club' that was the other part of the costume.

I've learned from the FT that a sock from Ancient Egypt has been found, and it had a section for the big toe, to make them easier to wear with sandals. That's right - the Ancient Egyptians wore sandals and socks. Don't seem so cool now, do they?

I had one off my father, wore it over a cave-man outfit one cold New Years party. No idea where it went after that.
You've just reminded me of a cave man themed party me, the ex and my soon to be flatmate organised on Cromer beach about 12 years ago, I can't remember if it was for her birthday or mine.

Me and the soon to be flatmate borrowed a wheely bin from somewhere and spent quite a few days transporting wood down to the beach. In my mind, it was going to be like one of those 80's parties that you'd once see on a video rental film ... I'd done parties like that before, one of them even made the national news because someone had stolen a JCB digger truck and wrecked a portion of the house. Then I realised I didn't really know anyone in Cromer yet to invite so it ended up being just the three of us getting pissed on the beach dressed in home made cave man a woman outfits.

I spotted a local tramp watching us so I invited him over to join us but he declined.

I went back to tidy up the next morning and some tourist asked me if a purse he's literally just found was mine, I looked at it then realised it was my ex's purse. It was a good night even though there was only three of us and the fire burned a lot faster than we'd planned.

Funnily enough I've noticed a large number of follicle challenged gentlemen wearing large black framed glasses recently. Is it some form of fashion statement, like the twenty and thirty something blokes wearing skinny blue suits, brown pointy shoes, and stubble?

Is it some form of fashion statement, like the twenty and thirty something blokes wearing skinny blue suits, brown pointy shoes, and stubble?
Why do some men insist on wearing blue and brown together? Are they color blind? :ranting:

Why do some men insist on wearing blue and brown together? Are they color blind? :ranting:
It might be a 'nerd statement'.
It's an odd thing. Many men, as soon as they turn into adults, go from liking bright colours to liking dull, monochromatic stuff.
Maybe they feel it's 'expected of them' or maybe they genuinely like dull ol' colours? Who knows? Is it a change brought on by the action of testosterone on the brain?

fun fact .. Sam Raimi, director of The Evil Dead dressed Ash in a blue shirt and brown trousers because he felt that specific colour combination would be timeless ..

aash04.jpg

aash05.png

Um um um .. er er can't see anything wrong with it myself. No I'm not colour blind. :) I remember being told in dressmaking classes that 'blue and green should never be seen' who came up with that one?
I 'spose I aught to get dressed instead of sitting around reading this forum, ... oh decision decisions should I wear the brown or the green jeans with the blue t shirt?

Sollywos x

I've never understood why some people (invariably women, in my experience ... ) challenge the combination of blue and brown for men's attire. Brown is the relatively neutral color or tone closest to blue's chromatic opposite (orange), so brown / blue is a conservative way to assemble a scheme emphasizing overall contrast or exploiting contrast to highlight one or more items in the ensemble.

Another relevant point is that men have a longer history of dressing themselves unencumbered by the walking bondage of socially-prescribed fashion (or, as I prefer, fascion - as in "fascism" ... ) prescriptions, and brown is admittedly a color that seems to connote "casual."

This casual theme is influential because certain casual or casual-style items are most often available only in blue or brown. For example, consider the two most ubiquitous categories of men's casual pants - jeans (overwhelmingly blue) and chinos / "khakis" (overwhelmingly tan-ish or brown-ish).

Finally, I have to point out that whatever rule there is prohibiting blue / brown combinations (except for shoes in formal attire) isn't evident in men's fashion advice (as if I give a damn about that ...). Indeed, the blue / brown combo is promoted for men's fashion. See, for example:

https://www.gq.com/gallery/brown-blue-shirts-ties-combinations
https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/matching-colors-for-men/

I hate fashion with a passion so now I'll start calling it fascion ... good word sums it up nicely.

It wasn't that long ago that upper class men were just as constrained by the expectations of fashion as women. I'm thinking of Tudor and Georgian mainly. Not to mention that in historical times commoners weren't allowed to wear certain colours as they were deemed Royal colours, can't have the plebs getting above their station now can we. Mind you cost would have been an issue as well so I don't suppose it bothered them right a lot. Ah it's all status signalling can't be doing with it meself.

Wear what is comfortable, and fun for you and to hell with the fascion mags.

Sollywos x

This thread is being established to contain discussions on issues of sociocultural and popular standards or innovations in fashion or dress.

... the saggy, shapeless dress that everyone is wearing this summer. it suits no-one at all in equal ugliness, and covers up all manner of body quirks in the same made-from-old-curtains fashion.
i want it.
It looks so 19th century!

If you were born and raised in the rural south (as I was) it was still common wear among older women in the mid 20th century. My grandmothers (both matrons of self-sufficient farms) wore such frocks their entire lives, and as a child and teen I saw it every Sunday as the standard uniform of the venerable church ladies.

It's as eminently practical as overalls and as comfortable for warm weather wear as the more flamboyantly colorful muumuu.

I kinda like the Laura Ashley one
As for brown and blue together, they can go really nice if you get the right shade of each colour, I never followed conventions when it came to clothes, altho when i was younger I dressed like Sandy in Grease, both versions, I dressed in what I wanted to wear. Too many people get obsessed by fashion.

Back