• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fate Magazine In The UK

nmckenn

Fresh Blood
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I have recently bought an old copy of Fate magazine on ebay - cheap and in reasonable condition so bought more out of curiosity than anything.

I was expecting it to be the US edition of Fate ( simply because I assumed that was on the only edition there was ) but it turned out to be a British version of the publication.

Without going through it with a fine toothed comb, I can't see any reference to the US version. So, was interested to know, were they related or is the British one a completely unrelated rip off of the US magazine ? Obviously, the US version is still going - anyone know how long the UK version lasted ?

Bit geeky I know - but better than actually working !

(1) Welcome to the forum!

(2) What was the date of this UK issue? FATE magazine changed ownership multiple times over the decades, and that might have a bearing on publishing arrangements. I don't know about the situation(s) with FATE, but I do know that some publications found it more economical to sub-contract overseas printing and distribution rather than do it all from the primary site in the USA.

1 ) Thank you !

2 ) It dated November 1954, and is supposedly volume 1 number 1. It's different from the US issue for that month ( cover and contents are different by the look of it ), but the "FATE MAGAZINE" title looks pretty much the same.

interesting find! What are the contents?

Fate cover.jpg

Selections from the contents page :

• Man-eating trees ( looking forward to that one ! )
  • Rejuvenation by yoga ( might give that one a miss )
  • Strange ways of chance
  • The Three Sally Beauchamps ( looks like a case of multiple personality )
  • Did they live before ? ( reincarnation in children )
  • The Vibrations of Life ( "The dying man was placed upon the scale, and at the instant of death, the body had suddenly lost weight!")
  • Telepathy and clairvoyance
  • Using the magic pendulum
  • What has happened to spiritualism ?
  • Will the earth capsize ( a theory that as the artic ice caps gets thicker, the weight causes the world to capsize - guess we'll never find out now )
Also seems to be an early version of "it happened to me" and some stuff about astronomy.

It would appear this new find is a slight variation on the US August 1954 issue.

This is the cover of the US version from August
5AD4DA7E-86EA-4D52-B73E-EF2FE5A23270.jpeg

And I assume this is the cover for the potential U.K. November issue?
43C9EF46-608C-4BAB-B13B-75734EA5173A.jpeg

So date and price are different and the addition of a circle giving an indication of the contents.

It would appear this new find is a slight variation on the US August 1954 issue.

This is the cover of the US version from August
View attachment 32469
And I assume this is the cover for the potential U.K. November issue?
View attachment 32470
So date and price are different and the addition of a circle giving an indication of the contents.
Aha, whilst I was getting this ready you posted the cover of your copy, excellent.

Ah ! That'll explain it. I guess the adverts, and the editorial were different for the UK version ( editorial makes a lot of it being a new magazine ! ).

My guess is that it's the first issue of a UK edition launched in autumn 1954, years after the original magazine began.

Makes sense. Wonder how long it ran for - not been able to find any other issues.

Back