• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Favourite Book

Just scrolled through this entire thread for the first time (!) and am slightly amazed nobody mentioned Shirley Jackson: The Lottery and The Hanting of Hill House among others. A wonderfully creepy writer.

Shirley Jackson

I agree lopaka. Also:

"'My mother did in fact say that she was a witch,' says Joanne Holly (Shirley Jackson's daughter), 'that she used her witchly powers. In the kitchen was drawer. Shirley would open it up and she'd need something and it would'nt be there, and she'd slam the drawer and say its name and open it up and it'd be there on top. I've seen her do it. I can't do it myself but I've tried'... According to Sarah Stewart (Another of Jackson's daughters), 'My mother believed in the power of inanimate objects to 'pack a wallop', as she used to say... She also believed that houses also had personalities. She spoke often, and strongly, of the wills of inanimate objects and hoped to affect them with her will."

Clive Barker's A-Z of Horror, compiled by Stephen Jones, BBC Books, London, 1987, p176-177

Inverurie Jones said:
Watership Down. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm trying to draw some conclusions from this, but having difficulty.:confused:

beakboo said:
I'm trying to draw some conclusions from this, but having
difficulty.:confused:
Well, I dunno. Not very fortean, is it? I jut like the characterisation (Hazel was my hero when I was little) and the setting...names of plants and all that, I'm a big fan of wildflowers.

I can't pick a favorite, but here are a few I really liked:-
~
'The Sheep Look Up' by John Brunner
~
'Steel Beach' by John Varley
~
'A Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley
~
'This Perfect Day' by Ira Levin
~
'Fluke' by James Herbert
~
'Secret School' by Whitley Strieber

As for Watership Down...The song 'Bright Eyes' sung by Art Garfunkel and written by Mike Batt always brings tears to my eyes...I haven't watched the movie since I was very very young.

Incredibly hard to pick a favourite title, but I'd have to say anything by Frank Herbert or
Iain M. Banks, especially The Player Of Games…

Great thread - you can find all kinds of suggestions for books to hunt down, etc...but...

I find myself absolutely positively unable to choose "a" favorite book. Or even to come up with a reasonably short list. Granted, that is because I tend to greatly overthink these kinds of damnable questions ;) ...

This thread got me thinking of how complicated the relationship between the reader and the book really IS, how where you are in your life has SUCH an impact on how a book "interacts" with you. I can recall a book about a boy and a mechanical whale/robot/sub that entranced me... but I was SO young at the time that the title is long forgotten, and the book is almost certainly out of print. A few years later, but still in elementary school, I can recall reading Heinlein's "Star Beast" and loving it, I can recall reading a book on Norse Mythology that was SO fascinating to me that when I found a reprint a few years ago there was no question but that I HAD to buy it, and so forth...

I can recall reading some collection of bizarre, somewhat Fortean tales by "Frank Edwards", I think, and poring over Van Danaiken (butchered that spelling, sorry) in my teens, and being enthralled (if still somewhat skeptical! ;) ).... and eagerly consuming every last book on UFOs, Bigfoot, Nessie, and all the rest...

...and so on. The point of this - yes, there is one! - is that some books will be great whether you read them at age 13, 30, or 73, while some books are just "perfect" for you at the age you encounter them....and probably would not "work" again now. Even so, I don't know that that makes one book "better" or not.

To say nothing of the fact that different books "do" different things for the reader... some are dessert, some are the main course, etc... but they can be equally good in different ways.

Apologies for the somewhat off topic ramblings; this chain of posts was a pleasure to read and got me thinking about the many great reading experiences I have had up to this point... wanted to try to share some of that thought process with the rest of you and see what YOU thought...

Shadow

A book, unlike the Internet, say, doesn't change with time.

BUT THE READER DOES...

So even if you finish a book and then immediately reread it, you are different (if only by virtue of having read the book already!), and therefore find different things in it.

If you reread a book after several years then you are a very different person, and you may well see many things that you never saw first time round.

So perhaps the measure of a good book is that you can reread it time after time and still find, not exactly 'something new', but new resonances with the life you have lived since the first reading, or, more importantly, with your perspective on life since then.

I think Rynner is spot on here, though it does tend to undermine
our notion of a book as a package of known ingredients.

My test case for this is always Joyce's Ulysses. I struggled through
it as a lad of fourteen, just to spite the teachers who thought it was
obscene. I still reread it at intervals and find layers which keep pace
with my reading. It has an occult way of reflecting my preoccupations!

One day, I hope to come to terms with The Wake. When I have that
fathomed, I guess life itself will stand revealed. er Maybe. :confused:

haven't read the whole of the thread but agree with GCU Gray Area that Iain M. Banks is a wonderful writer, very imaginative and original (his ship names are particularly inspired, do you not agree Gray Area?).

Has anyone read "The Sparrow" by Mary Doria Russell (not strictly fortean) its a sci-fi book but less technical than Banks/Herbert/Gibson, very character driven - took over my life when I read it, the characters became very real to me, the writing is wonderful and making it even more impressive is the fact that it was her first novel - no other book has ever had the same effect before or since.

The sequel "Children of God" is just as captivating as the first one. I'll stop my rantings now, but I do think that I should be on Ms Russell's payroll, she gets loads of free promotion through me!! :p

Non-fic: Daimonic Reality by Harpur, a great ontological examination
of the paranormal.

Fic: The Magus by Fowles

Of course Fort's books, Colin Wilson, Lovecraft, Dr Jacques Vallee,
John Keel.........to name a few.

David said:
Any one tried Ian Banks, or in his SF writing form Ian M Banks, The Wasp Factory was brilliant?

Wasp Factory - fantastic.

Spelling on this board - a sad indictment of our educational system.

Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy is quite awesome.SOme parts of it are so brief but so moving.I urge everyone to read it.

Oh and of course the Illuminatus trilogy:)

fantasy books : legend by david gemmell
the broken sword by paul anderson

Lard said:
Wasp Factory - fantastic.

Spelling on this board - a sad indictment of our educational system.

I'll have you know that I was mostly self taught, thank you very much...I just can't type very well.

My all-time favourite book is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I've read it too many times to even guess how many, but I am starting to know it by heart. Its the book I read whenever my life seems to be going to pot, or when I'm depressed or homesick at Uni or just when I can't be bothered with trying to get into a new book. I know it's not exactly Dickens, but I make no excuses :).

William Hope Hodgson "The Nightland" (2 volumes). He wrote some great ghost stories too. See "Carnacki: The Great Ghost Hunter".
I'm also partial to a bit of Larry Niven.

bizkit_1979 said:
My all-time favourite book is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I've read it too many times to even guess how many, but I am starting to know it by heart. Its the book I read whenever my life seems to be going to pot, or when I'm depressed or homesick at Uni or just when I can't be bothered with trying to get into a new book. I know it's not exactly Dickens, but I make no excuses :).

You're alright in my book (ha ha); Dickens was a right miserable sod.

Seeing as how this has strayed so far away from Fortean Books, I'll add my twopennethworth. To be honest, the only vaguely Fortean stuff I've read is 'Strange Deaths'.

'The Last Samurai' by Helen Dewitt is one of my faves, and quite a recent read.

It's about a young hyper-intelligent kid whose single mum uses the Akira Kurosawa film 'Seven Samurai' as a substitute for a father. She plays it over and over and from it he learns about feudal Japan, the Samurai code and of course Japanese. The book is very well written, and how the film is reflected in this kids life is very subtle, until the kid decides to go and 'find' himself a real father.

The only problem I had with it was that it is interspersed with a lot of information about how one goes about learning a language. It includes quite a lot of Greek, Japanese and even Inuit! It is worthwhile working your way through these sections, trying to grasp the grammar of these languages, and thus gauge a better understanding of the intelligence of the child portrayed in the book. He whips through those languages with relative ease. It can get tedious for the reader, but is worth it in the end.

Besides the minor technical aspect of it, it is by turns funny, moving, tragic and a very enjoyable read.

I won't spoil it any more for you - you must read it! Cracking stuff.

If you haven't read any Peter F Hamilton yet, do so - his books are just incredible, particularly the Night's Dawn Trilogy beginning with 'The Reality Disfunction.' An amazing blend of horror, fantasy, sci-fi and grand space opera. You've got to read this book! It is amazing!

It is the first part of a trilogy and combines all the best elements of sci-fi, gothic horror, soap opera and just damn good yarn spinning!

It has a huge cast of characters, but tells the tale of Joshua Calvert, an amazing pilot about to start earning a living as a freighter owner and Quin Dexter, an evil acolyte of a devil worshipping cult sent as a prison slave to a recently colonised planet.

A freak accident happens, opening a bizarre portal to the netherworld through Dexters head, and literally all hell breaks loose!

The book is a long but absolutely compelling read. Even if you are not a fan of sci-fi, this has to be on your bookshelves as an example of superb storytelling and 'edge of your seat' narrative!

I still love loads of childrens books, and recently bought the rerelease of Mervyn Peake's 'Letters from a Lost Uncle'. The illustrations are beautiful, done by Peake himself, and his storytelling is as funny and captivating as ever. I'll see if I can post a page of it, or at least an illustration...

Just indulge me a sec, as I just post another beautiful illustration for you...

Shaolin_monkey said:
If you haven't read any Peter F Hamilton yet, do so - his books are just incredible, particularly the Night's Dawn Trilogy beginning with 'The Reality Disfunction.' An amazing blend of horror, fantasy, sci-fi and grand space opera. You've got to read this book! It is amazing!
This is a coincidence. I picked up my first Peter F Hamilton on Friday (Watching Trees Grow-I thought I'd start with something small) I was very impressed and I'm going to buy the first part of Nights Dawn tomorrow, if I can get anyone to help me carry it home. There seems to be a rennaisance happening in British SF.

I'm about halfway through 'Fallen Dragon' by Peter F Hamilton. It's a cracker!

DanHigginbottom said:
Fortean for different reasons, but there's the famous Bradbury (Ray, that is) story 'A sound of thunder'. Some research was commissioned a few years back to find out what people remembered from their childhood learning/reading and a staggeringly huge number worldwide remembered the details of this story without knowing the title or author.

For those of you who may be in the above category, it features a t-rex, a time machine, a presidential election and a butterfly. Ring any bells? Damn good story.

YES YES YES !! Put me in that category!

Paulo Coelho, The alchemist - simple, charming, and Quite Brilliant. i've bought 3 copies now, keep lending it out & never getting it back..

Probably the worst book i've read, after much 'You really MUST read this' persuasion, is 'the Celestine Prophecy'. what an utter pile of bollox.

4imix said:
Probably the worst book i've read, after much 'You really MUST read this' persuasion, is 'the Celestine Prophecy'. what an utter pile of bollox.

I second that! Utter nonsense! No literary value whatsover.

4imix said:
Paulo Coelho, The alchemist - simple, charming, and Quite Brilliant. i've bought 3 copies now, keep lending it out & never getting it back..
Now there's a coincidence - I found a copy in the local charity shop recently and I've just read it. I'd never heard of it before.

It's OK, but I doubt I'll bother to read it again. You get a bit cynical about ideas of destiny when you reach my age and the whole of life seems to have gone pear shaped.

His age! His age, he says! Mine started off pear shaped...seems to be an aubergine now...

Mine's kind of doughnut shaped...

That Ray Bradbury one, 'A Sound of Thunder' - I did read it when I was a lot younger but I could never understand quite how the death of that butterfly meant so many changes when they got 'back to the future', to coin a phrase...

Could any explain it to me?

Good Omens! Great book, however, I have grown to dislike Pratchett... way too smug, I find... I think a lot of people get into his stuff as a teenager and grow out of him.

At the moment, I'm trying to read Crime and Punishment, Confessions of an English Opium Eater and Watership Down... I keep working late and forgetting to read though! Maybe this summer...

Back