• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Favourite Fictional Robot?

The Black Hole robot was called Maximilian. Built for threat more than anything practical, I fear, what possible purpose could those whirring blades have except to despatch a hapless Anthony Perkins?

the bit where reinhart is conflated with maximillian in hell/the black hole is bloody freaky.

BlackRiverFalls said:
The Black Hole robot was called Maximilian. Built for threat more than anything practical, I fear, what possible purpose could those whirring blades have except to despatch a hapless Anthony Perkins?

the bit where reinhart is conflated with maximillian in hell/the black hole is bloody freaky.

Yeah, it's a wacky way to end a space opera. Disney does a religious 2001: A Space Odyssey.

gncxx said:
H_James said:
You know, I don't think that I've even got a favourite fictional robot. I must be missing something...

This means you must have one assigned to you: your favourite is now Paulie's birthday robot from Rocky IV! Let that be a lesson to you.
Can't say fairer than that.

Timble2 said:
Huey, Dewey and Louie (Drones 1-3) in Silent Running (given its ecological/Green theme, there's a movie I'm surprised hasn't been remade).

I was going to post the exact same point. Mind you I shudder to think what they would do to the story now :roll:

Does HAL count? I know it wasn't anthropomorphic but after flipping out he eventually comes good in 2010.

AMPHIARAUS said:
Does HAL count? I know it wasn't anthropomorphic but after flipping out he eventually comes good in 2010.

HAL is a clear-cut case of PC gone mad.

I guess so... If you overlook the philosophical musings on what it is to human and whether or not we're simply born or designed.

I've always been a Boomer man anyway :D

Optimus Prime. In the (cartoon) Transformers movie, his death was actually quite ... tearjerking. In the Michael 'boomtastic' Bay movie, he was just one double-hard fucker - I really like what he did to Bonecrusher.

The freaky-deaky puppet-robot things from 'House of Dolmann'. I like the fact that their creator used ventriloquism to make his robots talk - first instance, I think, of a schizophrenic hero in a comic book story.

Oh, regarding Robbie the Robot: this could be a confabulation, but I have a distinct memory of him appearing in Project UFO, menacing a man who was stuck up a tree.

The Mark 13 from Hardware. Mhmmm... Smells like apple pie :D

I would post a clip from Youtube but I'm scared by lawyers tracking me down and turning me into Sans Testaclees. Plus there wasn't any good clips.

Awww, what about K9?? (whichever version you please.)

And Robot Maria??

Someone mentioned Brassneck.

Barfing Pumpkin, your right, Primes death was tragic. (I liked the scene of Hotrod fishing though.)

Kondoru said:
Awww, what about K9?? (whichever version you please.)

I feel K9 was at least a little indebted to Rags, Woody Allen's robot dog from Sleeper. "Woof, woof, woof! Hello, my name is Rags!"

The Mark 13 from Hardware. Mhmmm... Smells like apple pie Very Happy

ah yes, the wretched buddhist thanga-ka robot god death trip! how could i forget that?

not only kills in seconds, but even makes the target enemy enjoy the experience.

that film was teh shit. pity it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth :(

BlackRiverFalls said:
The Mark 13 from Hardware. Mhmmm... Smells like apple pie Very Happy

ah yes, the wretched buddhist thanga-ka robot god death trip! how could i forget that?

not only kills in seconds, but even makes the target enemy enjoy the experience.

that film was teh shit. pity it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth :(

Do not despair, said film can been seen almost weekly on The Horror Channel.

I think Mechani Kong (who was designed and built by Doctor Who) would kick any other robots arse.

I think my avatar points towards my own, personal favourite movie mechaniod.

Don't ruck the robot! Don't mess with the mechanical! Don't goof off the Gort!

Pietro_Mercurios said:
river_styx said:
Best thing about, 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century', without a doubt.

"Bidi, bidi!" :)

The best thing? What about Col. Wilma Deering
ErinGray81.jpg

I envy Gigolo Joe though, lucky AI!

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I prefer my robots at least vaguely anthropomorphic.

... and they don't get as (ahem ...) pleasingly anthropomorphic as Julie Newmar's 'Rhoda the Robot' from the 1960's TV series _My Living Doll_ . :twisted:

Back