• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fear

Spooky angel said:
Onix, I get the same reaction when reading true ghost stories, but I still come back for more. I must be stupid! lol :rolleyes:

I my case it's just the images, no the stories. Just the images, I can't take them.

This brings to mind a theory I have about the nessesity of fear in human development, but--whoops! my cafe time's up--I'll try to get back to this at school on Monday!

Major Kraut said:
"Fire in the Sky" is the film about the Travis Walton abduction in New Mexico back in the '70's.

The bit where he finds all those people in goo-pods. That well freaked me up.
Think of how many people dissappear without trace around the world. Imagine them, or a % of them, locked alive in alien goo-pod's. What kind of fear must that invoke. Imagine it! Go on! Imagine it now!

Many moons ago (the early '80s) I read any UFO-related books I could get my hands on from my local library. One that I remember that scared me silly was 'The Dyfed Enigma', which detailed various UFO-related events in Wales in the '70s. The most scarey thing at the time was a description (IIRC) of an 'alien' outside a house that was seen looking in through various windows at night. Gave me the heebie-jeebies and no mistake! The Flatwoods case is another good example of a scarey UFO-related event. The 'Thetis Lake Monster', a rather weird humanoid sometimes discussed WRT UFOs also struck me as very creepy when I first read about it.

That Welsh one kept a youthful Beak awake for a few nights too. :eek!!!!:

McAvennie said:
The bit where he finds all those people in goo-pods. That well freaked me up.
Think of how many people dissappear without trace around the world. Imagine them, or a % of them, locked alive in alien goo-pod's. What kind of fear must that invoke. Imagine it! Go on! Imagine it now!

Well, it sort of sandpapered and salted my fear of dying alone...especially in a goo-pod.

TVgeek said:
A bit of the Flatwoods creature description:

The light revealed a towering "man-like" figure with a round, red "face" surrounded by a "pointed, hood-like shape." The body was dark and seemingly colorless, but some would later say it was green, and Mrs. May reported drape-like folds. The monster was observed only momentarily, as suddenly it emitted a hissing sound and glided toward the group. Lemon responded by screaming and dropping his flashlight, whereupon everyone fled.

The group had noticed a pungent mist at the scene and afterward some were nauseated.

This is from (of all places) CSICOP!

TVgeek

TVGeek, just read the entire article at CSICOP.....
http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/i-files.html
The owls are not what they seem? ;)

sureshot

I find the prospect of a nuclear war far far more disturbibg then aliens or ufo's. In fact I may even welcome invading aliens because at least it might make us realise how dumb we are squabling over stupid lines on a map. Thats all they are lines on a map

As for wars over religion, thats even more dumb! Cant people see the obvious signs when they go out for a walk in the countryside. That if this world was created for us by a supreme being, that how we worshiped him would not even be on his agenda, as long as no one of us hurt another. I doubt if he/she/them/it would even want worshiping. All this is obvious to me, we seem to have lost touch with reality and are living inside our heads

JerryB said:
Many moons ago (the early '80s) I read any UFO-related books I could get my hands on from my local library. One that I remember that scared me silly was 'The Dyfed Enigma', which detailed various UFO-related events in Wales in the '70s.

Twas a fine book indeedy. I will have to dig it out and re read it. Didnt it say that a doorway was seen to open on a small island off the coast. From which flying craft entered and exited ?

sureshot said:
TVGeek, just read the entire article at CSICOP.....
http://www.csicop.org/si/2000-11/i-files.html
The owls are not what they seem? ;)

sureshot

I'm even more intrigued with the "windy" reporter! ;)

Owls are frightening at night... when the Great Horned
in our yard is landing on branches in the twilight, I would
swear that she is 3 feet tall -- although a foot and a half
is probably more accurate. Its just the big silhouette
that suddenly (and silently) appears.

Good article!

TVgeek

THIS is the point when UFOlogy becomes frightening.

David M Jacobs - 'The Threat'

''Lydia turned to the internal examination.

What do you think they're doing internally now? Or can you tell that at all?

They're holding something like you would hold a baby, with two hands, but it's not a baby. It's like a, I don't know....I can't even imagine

Does it look like a baby, or not?

It looks like a lobster. I can't imagine. I can't even imagine. My legs are up, and they are in this position in front of me. You know, almost as though they were inserting a sack...It looks round and light coloured, and I would say about the size of a grapefruit...They're bringing it to me....This is a terribly repulsive idea. I find this to be extremely repulsive, dirty, unclean. It's got me very upset...There's something in it. I get the sense like it's a sack, and they have inserted that. And my whole feeling about it is that I don't want that in me.

Where do you think they would have inserted this, then?

Vaginally.

NEED ANYONE SAY MORE????????:cross eye :eek: :eek: :confused: :cross eye

Yeeeeees I find that whole "I had a hybrid alien baby" thing very scarey ...

It takes all the wonder and miracle and the special feeling about being 'with child' and completely turns it on its head and f*cks up your mind, doesn't it?

Sent shivers down my spine when I read that word LOBSTER. I had a hard time reading past it. My eyes just kept being drawn back to it magnetically, trying not to imagine what she thought she saw! Dear God, is nothing sacred with those hideous little beasties?

p.s. Someone wrote earlier about not reading late at night in case it gave them ideas? So true! Ever since reading Good's books about how they can scan for thoughts and home in on the individual, and ever since Keel's theory about the ultraterrestrials that seem to be able to read our thoughts, etc. I've been terrified that it will 'draw' me to their attention if I focus in on them too much like Keel did. My husband said I regressed to a five year old after reading those books!:eek!!!!:

Just reading through this thread has given me the fear - I'm suddenly aware that I'm here totally on my own, in an isolated building in the countryside surrounded by woodland. Just the sort of situation that our little grey / big silver / goblin-like friends like to target:eek!!!!:

In my youth, I was also terrified by The Dyfed Enigma, especially the bits where the family opened the curtains to be confronted by a 7 foot tall spaceman inches from the glass, and when a young boy on his way home suddenly encountered a bug-eyed alien which "popped up" next to him just like the shopkeeper from Mr Benn!

FW Halliday's Flying Saucers was another one which gave me the squitters as a kid, most specifically the account of Bender's MIB encounters. Maybe its a primal fear that these things can get into your home, and right into your bedroom. All the usual feelings of security and safety don't matter, which is what scares me, in just the same way as our ancestors were in fear of the Fair Folk, or Little People, who seem to me to have much in common with the Greys of today.

I'm just off to grab a drink now, but the kitchen window hasn't got a curtain, and I'm seriously worried now about what I might see looking in! Silly really, isn't it?

Not at all Johnnyboy, for years and years I was terrified terrified I tell you by the sight of a curtainless window at night. Ye godz there could be something out there, I can't see it, but it can see me... Imagine my skid marks when I was babysitting for a family who didn't seem to believe in closing curtains, the young lad called me upstairs to tell me there was a vampire [or an alien I forget] at the window, I shut my eyes fumbled my way to the window and pulled the curtains closed. I advised him to do the same thing in future before it got dark outside.

I also used to have an all emcompassing terror of mirrors... always had the feeling someone was watching me from the other side

Nowadays I have this "thing" about walking into a dark room, I know I can switch the light on, but I prefer to have a light already on before I walk in. I'm keeping them automatic nightlight companies in business!

And Chant, yes this is possibly why I don't really want to have a baby!

Lobelia - my sister totally freaked out during her pregnancy and she isn't having another. She said she felt very uncomfortable, even repulsed at times at this 'thing' wriggling around inside her body. She made it sound so appalling it nearly put me off but mine was all fuzzy wuzzy and lovely and stuff so thank god I didn't feel the same (although I could understand the feeling. I am in fact frightened by dwarves but I don't freely admit it often as people think you're not PC - sorry everyone:( )

When I look into mirrors I have a split second fear that I'm going to see someone's face stood just behind me looking at me over my shoulder...likewise windows at night, etc. and any glass surfaces like the glass on pictures etc. I wouldn't mind if they were 'without' but if they're right behind me...:eek!!!!: :eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

I've googled the Dyfed Enigma and only got a list of publishers. Does anyone have a site I can read about it all before I commit myself to the cost of the book - I've bought some real duds in my time and I resent how expensive these mistakes can be.:(

Thanks honey bunches:D

I'd say the scariest UFO stories are those involving mysterious lights, noises, disappearances, and cover ups. A hypothetical situation would be lights are seen in the sky around a town, following days mysterious beings and figures are seen at night, animals are mutilated, and then as soon as the report goes public "government men" in big black cars show up and tell everyone what they saw was nothing more than weather balloons, wild animals, and that they never mention a word about the issue again. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered, the who, what, why, and how pretaining to the events. stories like this have happened all over the country during the 50s and 60s.

MrHyde said:
Most of us 70s kids got spoonfed Close Encounters and ET culture in our youth. The overwhelming motif is that a UFO (obviously a spaceship) is the most wonderful thing in the world to see. Any occupant is a magical friend, somewhere between Father Christmas and the Muppets.

And then, probably largely down to them there 'greys' we get surgical procedures and night terror and supernatural overtones.
Actually, my parents took me to see 'E.T.' when I was very young - 1982/83 - and it terrified me deeply. I used to have many nightmares involving E.T. when I was young (and occasionally I still do).

One night in particular, when I was about five, I can remember waking up to a feeling of dread - like I knew something horrible was about to happen though I didn't know what. I looked down on the floor to see my pair of socks writhing around on the floor as if something was trying to come out of them. I resorted to the old trick of hiding under my covers but, at some point, decided I was being a coward and took them off. There, nose-to-nose with me, was E.T. holding that glowing finger of his up to his face like a crazed dentist would his drill just before using it on you. I must have passed out because that's all I can remember, but during my sleep I had a lucid dream in which I ripped off E.T.'s arm (the one with the glow-finger) and used it to beat him into a bloody pulp.

Now this may sound ridiculous to some, but for me it was the most terrifying thing imaginable. To this day, the very sight of E.T. (even a if it's a toy) gives me the creeps. In my case, the image of an alien as a fiend wielding a surgical instrument of some kind (in this case a finger) was ingrained early on.

Re: Re: Fear

Bannik said:
...during my sleep I had a lucid dream in which I ripped off E.T.'s arm (the one with the glow-finger) and used it to beat him into a bloody pulp.

(I don't want to demean your obviously meaningful feelings about this, but..)That's the SPIRIT!!

If I'm ever abducted, God grant me the strength to dislocate some spindly limbs and FIGHT! Imagine, those swollen, distended criania would probably split open and spill their custard-like ET brains beautifully!

I say, bring them on! Scientific investigation, sneaky government inquiry, loopy dilettante UFOlogy, none of that stuff has gotten us closer to the truth. Maybe the only answer in INTERPLANETARY WAR!

Chant said:
I am in fact frightened by dwarves but I don't freely admit it often as people think you're not PC - sorry everyone:(

As is my mother. Its nothing to be sorry about as far as i'm concerned - its a completely pre-reflective emotion that odd as it seems, she has no choice in. :(

I agree grey alien heads would make an extremely satisfying punchbag - stupid little guys - i'll give 'em superior race. :hmph:

;)

Re: Re: Re: Fear

ctaylor8 said:
(I don't want to demean your obviously meaningful feelings about this, but..)That's the SPIRIT!!
Don't worry, I didn't find it demeaning. In fact, I appreciate your endorsement of my not-so-PR response.

I have read quite a lot on the subject. There was one book, I cant remember the guys name it was discussing, he was a ufo investigator believing the nuts and bolts theory but something he found out made him decide they were demonic, that scared me, supernatural scares me, living real things dont seem soo sinister.

One encounter that did not sound too bad at all was Antonio Villas Boas, he got to copulate with a beautiful looking being which for most men I would imagine wouldnt give them the horrors :)

Hope you can sleep now...

you asked for it ...

The most scary alien encounter is Human abduction people taken randomly from the street, just like a cow, mutilated...blood removed, genitals burned off, anal area removed while the victim is still alive ( else the samples are no good ) then the body is dumped, just like a cow...back on the ground...

Alien developed soul catcher, catching souls as they leave the body, to enslave them for their energy, throughout an eternity...

Re: Hope you can sleep now...

mlkyway said:
.....Alien developed soul catcher, catching souls as they leave the body, to enslave them for their energy, throughout an eternity...

That was a one of the stories in Babylon 5, and one of the B5 TV movies....surely someone's not claiming it really happens?

First people believe V and now Babylon 5..........:hmph:

I've heard the human multilation story before....but evidence, examples? Or are they all covered up by the MIB?

Re: Re: Hope you can sleep now...

Timble said:
First people believe V and now Babylon 5..........:hmph:
It's the ones that believe Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers that worry me!:eek!!!!:

Can't think of a single reliable 'human mutilation' case. Oh, wait, Adamski (no, not that one), in Todmorden, Derbyshire. Tenuous, though. Is that how you spell it, tenuous? T -e-n-u-ous - oh, sorry, getting off track.

A random thought enters my tired mind. Perhaps the cause of all this fear is the innate feeling that THEY are more real then us, at some unknown fundamental level.

We are merely stories that they tell each other. Possibly I need to eat something.

MrHyde said:
Can't think of a single reliable 'human mutilation' case. Oh, wait, Adamski (no, not that one), in Todmorden, Derbyshire. Tenuous, though. Is that how you spell it, tenuous? T -e-n-u-ous - oh, sorry, getting off track.

Should have remembered that, it was in UFO magazine a while back, although apart from burns he wasn't really mutilated.

There's a version of the storys at:
http://www.halifax-today.co.uk/specialfeatures/triviatrail/mma120.html

There's a short thread on human mutilations here - there may be other stuff too (I'm still searching). :eek!!!!:

rynner said:
There's a short thread on human mutilations here - there may be other stuff too (I'm still searching). :eek!!!!:
This may be of interest to some.

Back