• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Feeling Rain Drops Inside

Afagddu

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Quite often when I am driving in the rain I get the feeling of a raindrop landing on my hand or arm, but when I check there is no droplet to be seen and my windows are all closed.

Does anyone else get this sensation at all?

I suppose it could be explained away by assuming that as am aware of rain falling outside against the glass my mind plays a trick/makes a mistake and accidentally fires off a few neurones in my brain.

Another explanation (that's far more interesting!) could be that its a mistake in the Matrix!

Or that my consiousness is picking up on alternative realities within which my door window is slightly open...

Is this a common phenomenon?

Yup, I get this. I used to feel rain falling on my feet in my last car. This only happened when there was real rain falling, and often would start just before.

I used to think, well, maybe there's a leak, but I felt the 'rain' even when I was wearing boots.

I have a new car now and in the short time I've had it I've felt rain on my hands and feet in the same conditions as before. Baffled. :D

We have a thread about a 'phantom drip' which many people have experienced. Could this be connected?

I don't feel rain, but I frequently see it. I get a visual hallucination of rain falling down. I think I get it when I am sleep deprived, though I've also seen it at other times when I've had plenty of sleep.

It's actually rather disconcerting, to be honest.

There is a phenomenon where people can feel an invisible drop of water landing on them, usually the top of their head, but I've never heard of it happening in a car. Could it be psychological in some way, like you say? You see the rain, you hear the rain, whoops, you feel the rain even though you're under a roof?

I felt what seemed like rain in my last car, and only then on my feet. Not in a building and not on my head.

I'd feel what seemed like water drip onto my feet, then look up and notice it was cloudy. Sometimes I'd feel it during the rain.

Just got used to it after a while - seemed so minor and unlikely that it hardly registered. :D

I used to feel this in my house. Just an occasional cold 'splash' on my arms but no water to be seen. It hasn't happened to me for a while.

I sometimes feel little tiny drops of cold water landing on my skin when there isn't any rain falling. I put it down to nerve ends firing off on their own, a bit like pins and needles. It happens more when I'm tired or if I've been sitting still for too long. I guess sitting in a car, with your legs in a fairly unnatural position, tensed up for a while would have the same effect.

I think that's it - I used to get it when I travelled by air a lot, as airline seats aren't really made for me. I sometimes feel what seems like light drizzle on me too (but it's always on exposed skin in my case), and again usually when I'm tired.

Sadescha said:
I don't feel rain, but I frequently see it. I get a visual hallucination of rain falling down.

I get visual hallucinations of tree branches about to hit my face. Happens when I go hiking, but only in familiar territory. I drew it up as Flashbacks from when I did acid when I was in High School....then I realized it had been happening to me before those [fun, fun] times....

MercuryCrest said:
Sadescha said:
I don't feel rain, but I frequently see it. I get a visual hallucination of rain falling down.

I get visual hallucinations of tree branches about to hit my face. Happens when I go hiking, but only in familiar territory. I drew it up as Flashbacks from when I did acid when I was in High School....then I realized it had been happening to me before those [fun, fun] times....
Lol I still remember taking magic mushrooms at college and going for a walk in the dark, through the woods around the college lake, with a bunch of other trippers. I saw a big uprooted tree stump and within seconds had convinced myself in was a bent and hunched old woman, waiting by the path to do horrible old- lady badness to us. Of course I lost no time in informing my companions who were suitably freaked out. We did soldier on bravely though. Not long after that I had something like the tree-branch-in-the-face experience you spoke of, only the movement I saw was of a winged naked woman swooping down on me. It was actually a tree branch. Fun times... I mean it! :lol:

I've experienced the rain drop feeling before too. But I've found it turns out to be nothing more mundane than a bead of sweat on my forehead.

For what its worth some occult systems say that water trickling on the face/cobwebs on the face, is your High Self contacting you.

Really? Never heard that before.

I wonder what the appropriate response is?

Raise your consciousness and try to contact it back - using your preferred meditation method.

I had this problem for a while... It only seemed to happen at night in a certain room. I would frustrate my husband my telling him that water was coming from somewhere. Then it started happening to him too - usually our faces. We figured it was just some weird quirk of consciousness.
And then one day, one hit my arm, and it stayed long enough for me to SEE it. We did a ton of checking and found that the air conditioning unit near the ceiling of the next room over was malfunctioning and throwing tiny droplets all the way to where we were. (Our bedroom is two rooms that can be split via a sliding wall. The air conditioner is in the half we don`t sleep in.)
It would only happen when there was high humidity in the room (During rain, etc), and one of the internal units developed condensation.

With a car air conditioner, there is a small chance that something similar could happen. Of course - if you are feeling these drops under clothing, it really is a mystery.

I love a rational explanation! Thank you for telling us about that.
It's always best to look for an earthly reason for odd happenings. 8)

Yup. I've felt this too and put it down to droplets getting blown through the air vent fan thingy. Not sure how feasible that explanation is though.

Well, every time I have my car vents open I get a face full of dead leaves so I'm sure that water can get through if practically a whole tree can.

There's no air conditioning in my car and it's not coming through the vents - it's definitely 'imaginary' drops of water. Funnily, I felt one drop on my arm from the ceiling in my living room yesterday, but it too was imaginary.

Its a common phenonemon by the sounds of things. Not sure if that's reassuring or not! As a rather skeptical fortean, I will for now assume it's a 'mind trick'!

Afagddu, you might enjoy the 'phantom drip' threead. ;)

Well Ive had this, but only because water from within engine bay is liable to run into the car interior along the steel pedals. I used to particularly get it when holding a pedal in (as in braking) and the water would run right onto the top of my shoe. The first few times I used to wonder what was going on, until finally there was enough water coming in, not a lot but enough, to become noticeable on the floor pan.

I always drive old cars, for my sins.

I've experienced this many times, exactly as Afagddu described it in his/her original post. On several occasions I have been able to check the hand and seen that no drop of moisture is there. The first time it happened, I supposed there might be condensation on the interior roof of the car. On other occasions, I eliminated this as a cause.

I think it must be a mental connection between the drops on the windscreen and a draught on the hand.

I must have contemplated posting it as a phenomenon several times but I don't think I ever did so I was interested to see this thread.

I can't recall this happening outside my own car. Never known it happen as a passenger, though I am rarely a passenger. Never known it happen indoors. The odd outdoors drop of rain on the forehead, which no one else feels, might be a related phenomenon, though. :?:

*nearly faints from the shock of a serious post from James, given this subject's huge potential for ribaldry*

I'm another one this happens to, usually on my forearms or back of the neck. Sitting working at the PC, I'll feel the splash, then look around to see if there's a leak or to find where the droplet went to, invariably a few minutes later it'll start belting down outside.

I also feel non-existant cobwebs, dunno about it being my higher self, but it could be some sort of inbuilt self-preservation trick of the mind, because both types of feeling bring me right back into fully alert state, from being on auto-pilot surfing or playing dumb-ass PC games.

I shared a house with some friends approx 14 years ago. One girl who was particularly aware of inexplicable activity in the house had a strange experience one night which this thread reminded me about.

She had a friend over from her home town, and the two were sharing her big bed. It was very dark in the room, but there was just enough light for my friend to see the outline of her guest sitting on the edge of the bed.

Much to her annoyance, this "friend" kept flicking water at her.
At first she laughed, but became increasingly annoyed as, despite her requests, the girl kept flicking and flicking.

Eventually, thoroughly cheesed off, she sat up in bed and put the light on to (I imagine) have a row.

Imagine her surprise to find her guest lying prone on the other side of the bed, and sleepily oblivious to what had just been happening.

*shudder*

That's me sleeping with the lights on again tonight then.

mindalai Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:33 pm

*shudder*

That's me sleeping with the lights on again tonight then.

Lol... The scariest thing about sharing a house with this friend was the amount of times she would turn up at my bedroom door in the wee small hours of the morning, clutching her quilt, and asking if she could sleep on my floor. My response was always " of course, just please don't tell me why until tomorrow..."

Poor girl was plagued with this stuff... :shock:

On Tuesday morning, before I left home, I nipped outside to see what the weather was like (i.e. do I need a jacket, warm jacket, waterproof jacket, whatever...)

The sky was clear blue, but I felt a few spots of rain, so I put on a waterproof jacket & headed off to the bus stop.

En route, everyone I saw was in shirt sleeves, and giving me funny looks - and there was no rain.

BUT - at the bus stop was a woman with her brolly up. "Glad it's not just me," she said.

And it didn't rain, all day...

I've felt the same thing too. Inside, I can usually locate a leak of some sort. Outside, it occurs in situations where it could be expected, such as on overcast days or when I'm walking under a tree. Sometimes I don't find water on my body, and in those cases it is likely to be nerves randomly sending off signals, which is a common occurance for me.

I had something like this happen about a month ago when i was at my girlfriend's house. It was around 3am, when i suddenly felt a few drips of water on my face. I had no idea where it could have come from, but my girlfriend (now ex) said it was probably a spider peeing on me. Do spiders even urinate? I'd never considered it before. Anyway, the thought really freaked me out lol.

Back