• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Female Circumcision / Female Genital Mutilation

OneWingedBird said:
A cautionary tale in what we are willing to believe. :!:

Hmmm. Maybe we are the ones being manipulated. Interesting.

Mythopoeika said:
OneWingedBird said:
A cautionary tale in what we are willing to believe. :!:

Hmmm. Maybe we are the ones being manipulated. Interesting.

Given what those scum have already done its obvious that they are capable of anything.

The US is supposed to oppose terrorist godfathers: why not send killer drones after the Saudi royal family who bankroll ISIS?

Two arrested in London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit FGM

A 72-year-old man and 40-year-old woman are currently in police custody after being arrested on Friday

Two people have been arrested for conspiracy to commit female genital mutilation (FGM), according to reports.

A 72-year-old man was stopped by police while going through customs at Heathrow after he arrived in Britain accompanied by an 11-year-old girl from Uganda’s capital Kampala early on Friday morning.

A 40-year-old woman was arrested in Hackney under Section 2 of the FGM Act 2003.

Police told the press that the two arrests were connected.

In a statement they said: “Officers acted upon information given and a 40-year-old woman was arrested in Hackney under Section 2 of the FGM Act 2003, namely aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring a girl to carry out FGM on herself.”

Both suspects have been taken to east London police stations, where they remain in custody. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 30679.html

Ludicrous prosecution brought by the CPS against a thoroughly decent doctor who was left to deal with the aftermath of a mutilated woman after childbirth. It shows the strength of the jury system though.

CPS defends decision to bring FGM case against doctor acquitted in 30 minutes

Alison Saunders, the director of public prosecutions, has defended her decision to bring Britain’s first FGM case against a doctor who was cleared of committing the crime on a woman he stitched after the birth of a child.
A leading hospital consultant has accused the prosecution of being ludicrous after a jury took less than 30 minutes to clear Dr Dhanuson Dharmasena. The woman had been subject to FGM aged six in Somalia and the doctor was accused of reinstituting it.
Dr Katrina Erskine, consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology at the Homerton hospital in London, said she was left with no faith in British justice.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...aunders-fgm-case-doctor-acquitted-30-minutees

It outrageous that the CPS chose to hound this man whilst it does absolutely nothing about the epidemic of FGM in particular communities. A report last month stated that over 500 girls and women present each month with complications arising from FGM. As I said earlier in the thread, rather than chasing cases such as this, simply make FGM an offence of strict liability so that the parents/guardians of any minor subject to this practice while in their care are sent to jail for a very long time.

International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation
6 February

"Health systems and health professionals are essential to the wellbeing of societies. They provide credible, scientific and unbiased information that can help people protect themselves from violations of their rights. "

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

Midwives-Mauritania.jpg

In Mauritania, the National Association of Midwives has publicly declared their opposition to FGM and their pledge to abandon the practice in the communities they serve. Photo credit: UNFPA Mauritania
Key Facts
  • Over 140 million girls and women alive today have undergone some form of FGM.
  • If current trends continue, about 86 million additional girls worldwide will be subjected to the practice by 2030.
  • FGM is mostly carried out on young girls sometime between infancy and age 15.
  • FGM cause severe bleeding and health issues including cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.
  • FGM is a violation of the human rights of girls and women.
Female genital mutilation (FGM) comprises all procedures that involve altering or injuring the female genitalia for non-medical reasons - , and is recognized internationally as a violation of the human rights of girls and women.....

http://www.un.org/en/events/femalegenitalmutilationday/

Female genital mutilation: there’s an app for that? Really?
FGM reaches peak levels in the summer 'cutting season'. Today a clever new app goes live to help British teenagers living in these closed communities secretly educate themselves
By Rosa Prince, Assistant Political Editor
2:05PM BST 07 Jul 2015

Summer is cutting season.
During the next two months, thousands of young girls will be subjected to torture, their genitals mutilated through excruciating, traumatic procedures in the name of tradition, the long school holidays used as cover to hide the crime from teachers and friends outside the community.
If [it] seems extraordinary that children can be abused in this way in 21st century Britain, it is even more outrageous that despite being illegal since the Female Circumcision Act of 1985, there have yet to be any successful prosecutions of those responsible.

Not to worry - there’s now there’s an app for that. Really?
Created by researchers at the University of Coventry and launched today with support from Women’s Minister Nicky Morgan, the new app and website “Petals” may appear on the surface to be a frivolous gimmick to tackle such a grimly pressing problem as Female Genital Mutilation.

Last year, at the Girl Summit, David Cameron called for an end to “the cruel, barbaric practice” of Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) “in this generation”.
Yet the numbers continue to rise. According to the Home Office Select Committee, an estimated 170,000 women and girls living in the UK have been subjected to FGM, many after either being taken abroad or having undergone it before they moved to Britain. Another 65,000 young girls are thought to be at risk.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...mutilation-theres-an-app-for-that-Really.html

I recommend that all Muslim clerics have genital mutilation done to them. Then perhaps they may cotton on that it's a bad idea and must be banned. :twisted:

I agree, remove their knobs & nuts (as close to the root as possible) using a rusty cut-throat or carving knife without any painkillers & no after care...then maybe, the shits will come to understand the pain. Plus male circumcision should be outlawed every where in the world.

Well, male circumcision without consent. What modifications adults decide to make to their own bodies is their own business.

Well, male circumcision without consent. What modifications adults decide to make to their own bodies is their own business.

Sometimes male circumcision is medically necessary.
My son had to be circumcised when he was 7 years old, and I certainly wouldn't have wished it on him.
But his paternal grandfather had to be circumcised when he was first married which must have been dreadful -much worse!

I was circumcised in my late twenties because I had a tight foreskin that didn't draw back, reducing sensitivity, but when it occasionally did draw back during friskiness it could be uncomfortable to the point of painful. After years of not being able to decide whether to have it done or not (it's a fairly daunting prospect) I went for it. After years of indecision, I had a circumcision. Sorry, couldn't resist that. It's really no big deal, anyway. But, yeah, I object to people mutilating children because they think the mythical being they believe created us with a certain morphology requires we change it at the earliest opportunity. It never ceases to amaze me how fallible the religious believe their infallible gods to be.

Pre usage was infrequent and disappointing. For post usage, see ByrdiesChicks.com. NSFW. Only kidding, post usage has been infrequent and disappointing too.

Sometimes male circumcision is medically necessary.
My son had to be circumcised when he was 7 years old, and I certainly wouldn't have wished it on him.
But his paternal grandfather had to be circumcised when he was first married which must have been dreadful -much worse!

When medically necessary fine, of course. Nor am I implying it is as serious or traumatic as FGM must be. But it is slightly more than pure cosmetic surgery.

Worldwide an estimated 125 million girls and women are cut despite the fact that female genital cutting leads to serious health problems throughout life. Development agencies spend millions of dollars every year on interventions promoting the abandonment of cutting. Researchers at the University of Zurich and their collaborators in Sudan have collected new data that challenge the assumptions on which many of these interventions are based. The study shows that families within communities vary tremendously in terms of their cutting practices. This result indicates that the decision to cut depends largely on private values rather than social norms.

Programs promoting abandonment are often designed around the assumption that cutting is a social norm based on coordination. If this assumption is true, families coordinate by cutting their daughters and expecting cut wives for their sons. If most families cut, all families have incentives to cut their daughters to ensure their daughters can marry when they get older. At the same time, if most families do not cut and do not expect cut wives for their sons, all families have incentives to not cut. In short, when families coordinate, everyone has an incentive to follow the local norm, whether this norm is cutting or not cutting. If this assumption is correct, cutting should be nearly universal in a local area or almost entirely absent. In particular, once a cutting norm is in place, cutting persists because no single family can risk the stigma of being different from the other families around them.

Novel methods
Sonja Vogt, one of the study's lead authors, explains how they measured cutting practices: "In the Sudanese communities in our study, henna is applied to a young girl's feet when she is cut. For this reason, henna is an observable sign that a girl has been recently cut. We used this fact to develop a new and culturally appropriate method for estimating cutting rates." The researchers also developed a novel test to measure attitudes about cutting. Charles Efferson, the study's other lead author, adds, "We used the test to measure attitudes that adults might not want to reveal explicitly, and we used mobile computer labs to implement the test in a way that completely preserved the anonymity of participants."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/300083.php

Just now on Woman's Hour, UK Radio 4, there's a discussion of FGM in white American children.

Two American women, one in her 70s and one in her 40s, describe how it happened in their Christian families, where there was a revulsion towards masturbation.

Little girls who were seen touching their own genitals were sometimes taken to doctors for clitoridectomy. This happened to one of the women interviewed, called Renee Bergstrom.

I read about this many years ago in a book published in the late '70s about woman and sexuality. It arose from a determination to prevent female masturbation and a general fear of female sexual expression.

(According rot the book surgeons also offered married women who had problems with orgasm an operation to re-align the vagina to give more direct penile/clitoral contact. Some women apparently had this done with varying results.)

It was believed to have died out by the middle of the last century, but apparently there's a possibility it's still being practised in closed American Christian communities. How terrible.

The problem, certainly with Egypt, is that facts and figures are often not true anyway as newspaper editors/tv reporters tend to be 'disappeared' if they state information that the Government doesn't want the public to know about, so it's very difficult to ascertain the real numbers.
Whether it's how many people have died in an earthquake -the papers will say 'an old man and a dog' when in actual fact it's over a hundred- (this really happened a few years ago), or how many fgm cases there are.

Just now on Woman's Hour, UK Radio 4, there's a discussion of FGM in white American children.

Two American women, one in her 70s and one in her 40s, describe how it happened in their Christian families, where there was a revulsion towards masturbation.

Little girls who were seen touching their own genitals were sometimes taken to doctors for clitoridectomy. This happened to one of the women interviewed, called Renee Bergstrom.

I read about this many years ago in a book published in the late '70s about woman and sexuality. It arose from a determination to prevent female masturbation and a general fear of female sexual expression.

(According rot the book surgeons also offered married women who had problems with orgasm an operation to re-align the vagina to give more direct penile/clitoral contact. Some women apparently had this done with varying results.)

It was believed to have died out by the middle of the last century, but apparently there's a possibility it's still being practised in closed American Christian communities. How terrible.

That's some Handmaid's Tale shit right there. Margaret Atwood did say she based her supposedly "science fictional" novel on real treatment of women around the world contemporary to when she wrote it. Awful that nothing has changed.

It shouldn't matter who does it. It is totally unacceptable, along with arranged marriage and various other medieval practices aimed at women which are illegal in this country but never (or hardly ever) prosecuted.

I can't understand women who worry that there isn't 50/50 representation in boardrooms but stay quiet over this stuff.

It shouldn't matter who does it. It is totally unacceptable, along with arranged marriage and various other medieval practices aimed at women which are illegal in this country but never (or hardly ever) prosecuted.

I can't understand women who worry that there isn't 50/50 representation in boardrooms but stay quiet over this stuff.
It's probably like most things, out of site out of mind. Muslim communities are often very closed anyway. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but it's true. And I know and like, lots of Muslims and Jews. (Not so many here, but in other countries). In some parts of even England though, it can be a different world. It even feels like you're in a different country sometimes. Apart from the climate.

There's an ongoing legal campaign in Kenya - by a woman doctor - that seems to be pushing in the opposite direction ...

A Kenyan doctor is seeking to legalize female genital mutilation

A female doctor in Kenya wants female genital mutilation to be decriminalized.

Tatu Kamau is asking Kenya's courts to allow women above the age of 18 to be able to practice female genital mutilation (FGM), saying they have a right to choose what they do to their bodies at that age.

She wants the Kenyan government to annul the Prohibition of Female Genital Mutilation Act 2011 and the board set up to enforce the law disbanded.

FGM is widely condemned in the country and across parts of Africa but Kamau argues in a 2017 petition filed against the government, that it is an age-old Kenyan tradition and that an outright ban infringes on a woman's right to exercise her cultural beliefs.

Kamau is representing herself in the case before the Nairobi High Court. She told judges on Thursday that the term mutilation is "offensive" and denigrates the cultural significance of the practice.

"Women who took their daughters for circumcision were not taking them there to destroy them. Those children were not thrown away afterward, they were celebrated as respected members of the society. To use the word in our context suggests that it is malicious and that we are intentionally damaging our females. To me, it is very wrong," Kamau said.

She is pushing for medical workers and "certified" traditional cutters to be allowed to circumcise women. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/africa/kenya-doctor-fgm-petition-intl/index.html

Back