• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

MrRING

Android Futureman
I hadn't been previously aware of the existence of this film in all the material I read about Heaven's Gate in the wake of the suicides.

The Mysterious Two
Filmed in 1979, but not aired until 1982. Loosely based on 'Herff Applewhite' (co-founder) and the cult known as "The Two" or the UFO Missionaries. His partner died in 1985 and Herff continued leading the group. Sometime between 1994-1996 the group adopted the name "Heaven's Gate". Their theology had changed somewhat by this time since the co-leaders death.

And it is on YouTube if anybody is interested:

MrRing, thanks for reminding me of the TV movie The Mysterious Two, which I did watch first run, and found to be a good film, somewhat reminesent of Circle of Iron, with a flute player, and the pursuit of The Two.

Again, showing my age, in about 1975-1976, two followers of The Two came through my community and appeared on a radio call in talk show.

When one of the callers told the man who followed The Two (I think this follower of The Two was part of a couple), "now you can get back into your cage," I thought the caller was being un-necessiarly insulting, and when I got through, told him I felt that way.

I read to him from Official UFO magazine, that Bonnie and Herf had been accused of stealing a car, and he had a glib explanation that the accusation was unfounded and the charges had been dropped.

Not sure what to say to such a dedicated follower of The Two, I asked the man what his interpretation of Stanley Kubrick's film, 2001: A Space Odyssey was, to which he replied, "I don't have ANY interpretation of ANYTHING," which reminded me of some other cult leaders and their followers.

I saw that I didn't really have anything to say to him, and he really didn't have anything to say to me, and ended my phone call.

After that, a man came on the line, and asked the couple who followed The Two if they would like to have dinner with him. Can't remember if they accepted that offer or not.

Back