Films That Would Not Get Made Today

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I saw it at t'picatures with a boyfriend. We were youngish teenagers so too young really.

We were deliciously scandalised by the first line - summat like 'Hey there, all you fucking intellectuals!' - and then enraptured throughout.

Cant remember much except Fritz smoking weed and having sex tomcat-style while high enough to be flying through the air.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
There was a poster on here back in the day who went by @ArthurASCII. One handle, two hopelessly archaic references.
Yes, ex-R.A.F. chap, community policeman. Top chap, sadly lost following a daft spat about MENSA.

p_10jan_tuesday.jpg

edit: sorry, Megadeth, me, too. On with the movie discussion!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Ok, another film that wouldn't get made:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/freaks

It is actually a brilliant film.
Saw that at the Little Theatre Cinema, Bath in the late 70s/early 80s on a bill of 'all-night sleaze', including Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble – can't remember the other three films, possibly included Eraserhead. I used to be a massive cinema-goer/cineaste, less so these days but I still love films.

And yes, it's hard to imagine Freaks being made now, and getting the money to release Eraserhead - one of the most disturbing films ever made - might take some doing as well. Hard to believe that John Waters (of Pink Flamingos and Female Trouble fame) somehow became an acceptable face in mainstream cinema.

(I just tried to find the other films that were shown but my search only came up with another of my postings on here - non-Fortean films page 21!)

And on the thread's theme - or possibly flipping it - it's hard to imagine that Michael Powell's Peeping Tom was made in 1960 rather than being from a much later era.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Obviously Zulu, because it showed colonials in a positive light, and any of those old Westerns that depicted the Apaches, Comanches etc. as anything other than enlightened heroes.
Zulu shows almost everybody onscreen in a positive light (except the preacher). It's the faceless bureaucrats and their policies that are attacked.

The sensibility is very modern, doubly with the anti-war ending.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Zulu shows almost everybody onscreen in a positive light (except the preacher). It's the faceless bureaucrats and their policies that are attacked.

Absolutely, Stanley Baker bent over backwards to make sure the film was fair to both sides. He'd be horrified that it has a racist reputation. Mind you, there's a joke about it in sitcom Rising Damp from the 1970s, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon. Chief Buthelezi was in it and loves it!

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

I was referring to The Guardian's view that Zulu, or this "vision of valour and nobility" was really an "atrocity - a war crime".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/apr/29/schools.

When it comes to the colonial era, film-makers today, if they dared touch such events, would most likely go into self-flagellation mode and depict the British forces as unremittingly evil.

Cochise

Antediluvian
I was referring to The Guardian's view that Zulu, or this "vision of valour and nobility" was really an "atrocity - a war crime".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/apr/29/schools.

When it comes to the colonial era, film-makers today, if they dared touch such events, would most likely go into self-flagellation mode and depict the British forces as unremittingly evil.
And yet in Hong Kong they are flying our flag to demand democracy. It's all more complicated that the dumbed down 'modern' views make out. We have become a nation of adolescents that have never been told 'no'.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
I reckon Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire would come under a lot of flak if they were in the works now.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
cruising.I think al Pacino has distanced himself from that film I think some people may have found to be homophobic and I have seen it as teen God it's definitely not a film suitable under 18 but it did not bothered me and I think was under 18 when I get seen it when I had cable in my room.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
And know the kind of people that would I can picture them getting so worked up shouting transphobic to the point haveing a heart attack it's not healthy get so worked up over some thing that not harming anyone.

It's a debatable point as to what is harmful - which is why we don't.

Political Correctness Gone Mad was closed for a reason - don't look for other places to carry on the same old same old.

Have a look at this again please /before/ launching in to things. Applies to rerunning the last days of Empire as well as sexual politics.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/pay-attention-all-of-you.66076/

Frideswide

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Wow I've not seen leon the professional for years it a classic it uncut now and I think a 15 now and I think it would get made just with out the underage relationship stuff.
Yes great film. I watched a thing on youtube reecently how the man/child relationship was based on Luc Besson's relationship with his girlfriend, adding to the dodginess

It's a debatable point as to what is harmful - which is why we don't.

Political Correctness Gone Mad was closed for a reason - don't look for other places to carry on the same old same old.

Have a look at this again please /before/ launching in to things. Applies to rerunning the last days of Empire as well as sexual politics.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/pay-attention-all-of-you.66076/

Frideswide
Perhaps the Mods could delete offending posts from now on? Otherwise some people will keep testing the water, secure in the knowledge that their posts remain up but cannot be responded to after a Mod intervenes.