Films That Would Not Get Made Today

INT21

Antediluvian
Ramonmercado,

Please keep it clean! Sigh. This used to be a family friendly site!
Actually. no, It didn't.

A while back when I complained about the free and frequent use of the F bomb I was informed by a Mod that this as never intended to be a family friendly site.

I do note that you have used the above phrase at least five times over the last three years.

Keep up the good work.

INT21.

Ramonmercado,

Actually. no, It didn't.

A while back when I complained about the free and frequent use of the F bomb I was informed by a Mod that this as never intended to be a family friendly site.

I do note that you have used the above phrase at least five times over the last three years.

Keep up the good work.

INT21.
Aaargh! I was joking!

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Ramonmercado,
Actually. no, It didn't.

Keep up the good work.

INT21.

@ramonmercado It was a joke. No mistaking it! funny too :)

@INT21 if you have comments or issues with the site then please use PM as you've been asked to. Going so far as to pull up stats to make your mistaken point is definitely going too far....

Frideswide

INT21

Antediluvian
Come on, Frideswide, I was only pointing out something that had been pointed out to me.
No on seemed bothered then.

I was pointing it out to the author of the comment, publicly, not sneaking it in behind his back.
Simply correcting a misapprehension.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I said it before about Carry On films that people fail to understand that every film had strong women often getting the better of hapless men. It wasn't just about boobs and bums.

On the Buses is far more offensive and basically unwatchable and not funny in the slightest. ITV had some stinkers in the 70's.
Anyone remember "Bottle Boys"?
Obviously designed to cash in on the "Confessions Of" movies, this TV sitcom starred Robin Askwith as a randy milkman.
The gags were typically based around Robin saying something like "oh no, I forgot to give Mrs so-and-so her gold top today!" to which one of his colleagues would say "well you'd better go and give her one then!" "Phwoar. Not half!"
I'm no fan of political correctness, but even I recall this series as being utterly cringeworthy.

IMG_0657.JPG

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
See also Carry On Up The Jungle for Bresslaw as a native bearer.

My son and his other half bought me the entire Carry On collection for Xmas and I've rewatched most of them in chronological order (I bloody love Carry On films :) .) The early ones actually stand up quite well as typical of late fifties /early sixties British comedy: Carry On Cabby could have been a minor Ealing storyline, for example. It's only once Talbot Rothwell started scripting them that the bawdy took hold. What's striking though is that for all of their reputation, in terms of what would be found offensive by today's standards they're actually quite tame, particularly in comparison with the TV comedy of the time. A modern audience would (I think) find "Love Thy Neighbour" far more repugnant than Carry On At Your Convenience.

Of course they're dated, but given their number and frequency they do provide an interesting reflection of British attitudes over a twenty year period.
Top 3?

I'm fond of Up The Kyber, Up The Jungle and Doctor, but I haven't seen any but the first for years...

Yes, they're almost a different genre altogether. Cabby, Sergeant, Regardless are all gentle, slightly whimsical black and white British comedies. Think Boulting Brothers. From about '64 onwards they started upping the sauce, but as Naughty Felid rightly pointed out the seaside postcard aspect does play a part, with women often holding the actual power.
The early ones were almost indistinguishable from films like Private's Progress and I'm All Right Jack.

My old, old laptop is full of 1950s comedies, mostly ripped from free DVDs my father sent me to (successfully) combat homesickness, but perversely the power-button is broken and I can't turn the damned machine on!

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
My old, old laptop is full of 1950s comedies, mostly ripped from free DVDs my father sent me to (successfully) combat homesickness, but perversely the power-button is broken and I can't turn the damned machine on!
Pull out the hard drive and stick it in a caddy?

Rampant Homoerotic more like.
John Boorman did a novelisation of the script where it was obvious that the Connery character was meant to be in his 20s. To get the budget he had to take Seán. Jeff Bridges would have been good in the role, he might even have got away with wearing that costume.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Death Wish was remade with Bruce Willis last year. I imagine it's only a matter of time until DH gets revisited too.
Starring.... Jason Statham (obvs) or Samuel L Jackson (he's in everything else) or Tom Cruise (ditto), or in a very 21st century reimagining, Scarlett Johansson (she'd make my day!).