• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Films, TV Shows & Books By Guillermo del Toro

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"Pan's Labyrinth" is the story of a young girl that travels with her mother and adoptive father to a rural area up North in Spain, 1944. After Franco´s victory. The girl lives in an imaginary world of her own creation and faces the real world with much chagrin. Post-war Fascist repression is at its height in rural Spain and the girl must come to terms with that through a fable of her own.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Discussion (and piccies):
www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21816
www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Sho ... e=newsfull

Teaser poster:
www.deltorofilms.com/featured_pix/panlogo.jpg

-------------
According to Harry Knowles it seems like this is the third in Guillermo del Toro's Children's Trilogy of Grim Fairy Tales of which the previous two are:

Cronos (1993)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0104029/

R2 (recently out not sure what the features are and availability seems iffy):
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A ... ntmagaz-21

R1 (pos. the best of the releases):
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C2 ... enantmc-20

---------
The Devil's Backbone (2001)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/

R2:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21

Although the R1 (Special Edition) is better:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000274 ... enantmc-20

--------
As mentioned here:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 402#183402

He wanted to make "In the Mountains of Madness" with Dreamworks backing it but the studio was interfering so he moved on to this project with Hellyboy 2 lined up after that so it'll be a while until he returns to Lovecraft (mores the pity).

============
Other discussion of GdT's films:

Hellboy/Hellboy 2:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11891

Blade (he did Blade II):
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13733

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Mighty_Emperor said:
He wanted to make "In the Mountains of Madness" with Dreamworks backing it but the studio was interfering so he moved on to this project with Hellyboy 2 lined up after that so it'll be a while until he returns to Lovecraft (mores the pity).

Funny you should mention that, Emp. I was wondering about ATMOM and where they'd got to with it only a few hours back.

Shame. I'd love to see that one get made, provided they didn't make a husky's breakfast of it, of course.

PB

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Brown_Forever said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

Funny you should mention that, Emp. I was wondering about ATMOM and where they'd got to with it only a few hours back.

Shame. I'd love to see that one get made, provided they didn't make a husky's breakfast of it, of course.

From the rumours it appears GdT shelved the project because it was going places none of us wanted it to go in - so good on him:

www.aintitcool.com/tb_display.cgi?id=21816#1027931

As he does one for himself and one for the studios Hellboy 2 is up next and that should rake in so much cash they should really just let him do what he likes. After all he has a significantly better idea of what is cool than the studios do.

If someone else doesn't gat it (either butchering it or one of Brian Yuzna's crew doing a lower budget attempt) then I think it'll get done but not until he gets more clout clearly.

November 27, 2005

Pan's Labyrinth Trailer Spotted in Spain!

(Posted In Continental Europe and Russia Film News Sci-Fi / Fantasy )

Pans_lab_Poster.jpgI just got word from a reader in Spain that the first trailer for Guillermo Del Toro's latest, Pan's Labyrinth, is currently unspooling in Spain in front of the new Harry Potter flick. Now, I don't normally make posts out of something as slight as that but a) I love Hellboy and b) Del Toro's previous little Spanish horror film, The Devil's Backbone, is twice the film Hellboy was so I'm more than a little excited about this one. So here's what I'd like to ask people to do:

Our Spanish readers, and I know you're out there: send us details. I want to know what's in this thing. The contact link up above works nicely.

Everybody else: keep an eye out online. If this is turning up in theaters it's only a matter of days before it turns up online somewhere. If anyone knows any good Spanish trailer sites, now would be a good time to start checking them. And send them to me, too, because I havent found a good one yet.

Bide your time by checking the first Pan's Labyrinth stills at the Del Toro fansite ...

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004299.html

And there are comments there fom people who have seen the trailer. Sounds good.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Cronos (1993)

www.imdb.com/title/tt0104029/

R2 (recently out not sure what the features are and availability seems iffy):
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A ... ntmagaz-21

Info has been updated and the iffy availability is due to its not being out until next Feb:

Cronos in February

Optimum Home Entertainment have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Cronos for 13th February 2006 priced at £15.99. Written and directed by Guillermo Del Toro (Hellboy, Blade 2, The Devil’s Backbone), CRONOS was Del Toro’s remarkable debut feature film and spins a unique tale of vampirism, immortality and family tragedy.

A sixteenth century Alchemist creates a mystical golden scarab, which imbues its owner with the power of eternal life but also a vampire’s thirst for blood. The scarab remains buried for centuries until an antiques dealer Jesus Gris (Federico Luppi) unearths the mechanism concealed inside a statue. However, what Jesus doesn’t know is that a dying old industrialist Dieter de la Guardia (Claudio Brook) is obsessed with the pursuit of this device to prolong his life, and with the help of his nephew Angel (Ron Perlman, Hellboy) will do anything to get his hands on it.

Del Toro spent some eight years developing the script of CRONOS and trying to get it funded. Made in his native Mexico and released in 1993, CRONOS contains many of the visual motifs that would characterise his later films, such as insect imagery, and is a good reminder of why Del Toro is now regarded as one of cinema’s leading horror filmmakers.

Features include:

• * Restored print
    * Dolby 5.1, Spanish with English Subtitles
    * Making Of
    * Interview with Guillermo Del Toro
    * Short Film by Del Toro

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59506

Mighty_Emperor said:
"Pan's Labyrinth" is the story of a young girl that travels with her mother and adoptive father to a rural area up North in Spain, 1944. After Franco´s victory. The girl lives in an imaginary world of her own creation and faces the real world with much chagrin. Post-war Fascist repression is at its height in rural Spain and the girl must come to terms with that through a fable of her own.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Discussion (and piccies):
www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21816
www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Sho ... e=newsfull

Teaser poster:
www.deltorofilms.com/featured_pix/panlogo.jpg

And there is a trailer out:

www.dvdrama.com//ramaplayer.php?nom=pan ... &nostart=1

I'm pencilling it in for best film of 2006 ;)

Jan. 24, 2006

Picturehouse sending 'Pan' to N. America

Picturehouse has acquired North American rights to Guillermo del Toro's fairy tale film "Pan's Labyrinth." A fall release is anticipated. Set against the fascist regime in rural Spain, the film stars Ivana Baquero ("Fragile") as a lonely girl who creates a world filled with fantastical creatures. The cast also includes Mirabel Verdu ("Y Tu Mama Tambien"), Sergi Lopez ("Dirty Pretty Things") and Doug Jones ("Hellboy"). "This is a stunning film both in its visuals and narrative," Picturehouse president Bob Berney said. "Guillermo is a master filmmaker and the ultimate film fan as well." (Gregg Kilday) FULL STORY

www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brie ... 1001883719

Looks like his next next film is already lined up and it sounds great - I think with GdT you can be confident he is going to deliver the goods:

February 09, 2006

Guillermo del Toro to Kill the Faeries?

(Posted In Film News Sci-Fi / Fantasy USA and Canada )

While he currently involved in the production of HelIboy 2, it is all over the web that New Line has lobbed some money at Guillermo del Toro to develop and direct KILLING ON CARNIVAL ROW:

"Set in a mystical and dark city filled with humans, fairies and other creatures, the story centers on a police detective investigating a series of murders unleashed against the fairies. The detective becomes the prime suspect and must find the real killer to clear his name."

It sounds like a mixture of From Hell, Mirror Mask & Who Framed Roger Rabbit; which is perfectly suited towards del Toro's talents and abilities. I'm sure the sense of gothic horror will permeat the picture, and there will be lots of yellow filters (I must say that I'm consistently love the visual look of his films, The Devil's Backbone in particular).

Here is hoping that he bails on any involvement in the super-expensive Halo movie in development. There are so many more fascinating subjects out there for him to tackle.

[Source: Reuters]

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005074.html

Amen to that last comment.

Is there no end to possible Guillermo del Toro projects?
'Deadman' to live again on big screen
By Borys Kit

Guillermo del Toro is teaming up with Don Murphy's Angry Films to bring cult DC Comics superhero "Deadman" to the big screen for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Del Toro is in negotiations to develop the comics-to-film adaptation, which would be produced by del Toro, Murphy and Susan Montford.

Deadman is the ghost of a circus acrobat named Boston Brand, who was murdered during a trapeze performance. His spirit was granted the power by a Hindu goddess to possess any living being in order to find his killer. In the ensuing search, Brand finds himself obliged to help others. The hero was created in 1967 by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino and is known for a run of issues by artist Neal Adams.

A search for writers is under way.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth last night at the FrightFest and would urge you all to see it when it is released. It is an extraordinarily vivid film that will stay with you long after it has finished. I hesitate to say any more about it for fear of giving anything away.

However, Del Toro was there and he did a Q&A at the end, and he was explicit that this is a companion 'sister' film to Devil's Backbone, and many of the scenes mirror each other.
He didn't mention Cronos in this context but many of his talismans are threaded through: insects, broken timepieces, the fracturing of reality, immortality & death.

He also mentioned that they are filming part of HellBoy 2 in London and he's signing material TODAY about 5pm (Saturday 26th Aug) at the FrightFest venue which is Odeon West End. He was keen that anyone with graphic expertise who has some conceptual ideas around HellBoy, turn up and discuss them with him (I suspect there may be quite a crush).

Just go see the film - it's beautiful!

kittenofchaos: Thanks for that - now I am awfull excited (and a bit miffed I couldn't make it).

That's great - the Garudian site is pretty poor for a paper that often provides great graphical accompaniments but that is better than the goodies in the paper.

Well dont read the below if you havent seen the movie as it may ruin things a little.

Saw this last night. It is a beautiful film but I felt that a little sold short on the whole otherworld thing, in that essentially all of the action takes place in the real world and the scenes (although they are breathtaking) that take place in the (internal?) fantasy world are too few, not strong enough, and in fact dont really advance the story any(the trailer however leans on these scenes, which I found was a little misleading). And it winds up treading the path of Jacob's Ladder and countless other flicks since...

Devil's Backbone was a far stronger piece of cinema, more disturbing and better realised.

The sound of this film was what got me though, its incredible, Ive never heard a movie at such proximity, its point-blank. An I cried, but I cant stand to see kids in peril these days.

I must admit I hadn't heard of this film or been following this thread (makes sense)

Til Mark Kermode said it was his "film of the year " Go see it - He's the new "Orson Welles"...really on the Culture Show on BBC2 last night.

He interviewed the director - who seemed like a right Visionary/Wacko that Kermode wasn't really going to question but came to pay homage to the feet of.

Anyway I remain to be convinced - there's a lot of films I haven't seen - the clips seemed pretty standard Horror type stuff and didn't really hook me - Maybe a Spanish David Lynch rather than Orson Welles.. Brilliant in parts I'm sure

I am probably being my usual over critical self but that's my impression.

Krudmode has also managed to ejaculate four breathless fan-boy pages about this fantasy into December's Sight & Sound. I had skipped past them pretty sharpish: illustrations led me to assume it was just another wearisome special effects-driven creature feature.

Sample: " (del Toro) has charmed both the hardcore fans . . . and now the upmarket critical cognoscenti . . . this latterday Welles has created a Citizen Kane of fantasy cinema - a modern masterpiece . . . "

Ah, those upmarket critical cognoscenti!

On the other hand, I did think The Devil's Backbone was one of the best modern ghost-stories. The curious mechanism in Cronos is all I can remember of it. :(

Just saw Pan's Labyrinth tonight; as has been said, it was different to what I was expecting, some dark dystopian Narnia epic. Instead it was a war movie with fantasy elements, opening it up to interpretation whether Ofelia was just creating an escapist realm away from the horror she sinks into.

Although the acting of the main lead was impressive and the Pale Man truly hideous/horrific, what grabbed me was the guy who played the captain. Very intense performance with a subtle fascination for passing on his lineage (gaining immortality through his son?) with that broken watch of his. Plus he survived being stabbed twice, proceeded to sew his face back together, got poisoned, and still managed to pursue someone through a labyrinth while on LSD. I'd say he's in the running for the Spanish version of the Terminator.

the_walkin_dude said:
Just saw Pan's Labyrinth tonight; as has been said, it was different to what I was expecting, some dark dystopian Narnia epic. Instead it was a war movie with fantasy elements, opening it up to interpretation whether Ofelia was just creating an escapist realm away from the horror she sinks into.

Yes I sa heard an interview with him on the radio in which he explained how obsessed with the Spanish Civl War he was and how he considered this to be a kind of follow up to The Devil's Backbone.

HenryFort said:
Saw this last night. It is a beautiful film but I felt that a little sold short on the whole otherworld thing, in that essentially all of the action takes place in the real world and the scenes (although they are breathtaking) that take place in the (internal?) fantasy world are too few, not strong enough, and in fact dont really advance the story any(the trailer however leans on these scenes, which I found was a little misleading). And it winds up treading the path of Jacob's Ladder and countless other flicks since...

Couldn't agree more. I just thought that enough wasn't made of the otherworldy elements to the film. Excellent film though, superbly acted and very touching but I felt a bit misled by the trailer which, I think, showed most of the fantasy aspects in itself.

Pans Labyrinth

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Loved and hated it all at once. Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

I thought it was pretty good - although it didn't really seem to get off of the ground in terms of the story as a whole. And it makes a nice change in terms of visuals and subject matter - it's not a gorefest, but it's not cutesy either.

the_walkin_dude said:
opening it up to interpretation whether Ofelia was just creating an escapist realm away from the horror she sinks into.

My husband also walked out worried that Ofelia's ending was a dying hallucination, but I pointed out that the chalk got her out of her locked room and the mandrake spell worked on her mother, and he felt better. The County has been overworking him, making him come in weekends, so this was our first movie of the year when he got an unexpected afternoon off, and we pounced on it because it's only coming to art houses and could be expected to vanish at any time, but I was nervous because I knew it wasn't a feel-good movie. The quality was high enough that we didn't regret the choice, but - oh, my.

I'm surprised I don't see the word "brutal" used more often in describing this movie. What else is appropriate to a work in which the audience is urging one of the most sympathetic characters to commit murder (WHY didn't Mercedes slit the Captain's throat when she had the chance?) and the happy ending consists of the protagonist dying?

I had a problem with squeam. During an English-language film I can close my eyes or watch my popcorn during the brutal bits, but my Spanish is strictly Tex-Mex and I couldn't make a thing out of their accents, so I needed to view the subtitles in order to keep the plot. I wound up sliding my glasses so far down my nose all I could see was the bottom of the screen.

The advertising on this movie (and similarly on Bridge to Terebithia, which is not a fantasy movie - and take a hanky) is so misleading you want to slap people. I know someone who went to a matinee of Pan's Labyrinth, knowing something about it other than the trailers, who saw people bringing in small children, and she went around the theater warning them. The ones who didn't believe her and stayed all left during the first twenty minutes.

I know someone who went to a matinee of Pan's Labyrinth, knowing something about it other than the trailers, who saw people bringing in small children, and she went around the theater warning them. The ones who didn't believe her and stayed all left during the first twenty minutes

I would think the "r" rating would be enough to let people know its not for small children.

That's the idea behind the rating system, certainly, but the rating system doesn't work. That's why they keep breaking it down further, and post guidelines at the ticket window that no one reads.

That's the idea behind the rating system, certainly, but the rating system doesn't work. That's why they keep breaking it down further, and post guidelines at the ticket window that no one reads.

You are so right! I mean my ex took my 7 year old tosee my super ex-girlfriend! I was horrified! The PG-13 rating did nothing to deter him. WHen i saw it (an utter piece of crap) I was very upset that my child had seen it. sometimes people just dont' think.

Back