• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Films, TV Shows & Books By Guillermo del Toro

He really does, and he is very knowledgeable about weird thingies, fact and fiction. He's one of those fans who became professional creators, a little younger than the movie brat bunch of the 70s and 80s (and he knows about them as well).

Guillermo del Toro ‏@RealGDT 2m2 minutes ago
Two toys from my childhood that I remembered being so much better!!

CSRbG5xU8AE374W.jpg

CSRbGfoU8AE_Iyr.jpg

Rise of female monsters shows horror movies are not afraid of big, bad women
Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak is one of the most feminine horror films ever, part of a trend for showing women in all their shrieking, axe-murdering glory

Somewhere in the third act of Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peakaround the time a manic, shrieking Jessica Chastain is running through the titular haunted estate wielding a meat cleaver –it hit me that I had probably never seen a horror movie that was so unabashedly feminine.

People seem to go back and forth on the genre: sometimes it’s called horror, sometimes (as per Del Toro) “gothic romance”. There are ghosts, gallons of blood, and more than a few memorable facial mutilations.

And yet, most of the time, Crimson Peak could pass for the world’s most violent episode of Downton Abbey. All those ghosts are interspersed with gorgeous ball gowns, romantic waltzes, impassioned monologues about love, and discussions of the obstacles female writers faced in 19th-century literature. (Our heroine, Edith, is an aspiring author who has to type her stories: her handwriting is so feminine that it “gives her away”.)

Del Toro claims he channeled his “inner 14-year-old bookish girl” to make this movie, and it seems calibrated to be loved by bookish, female horror fans and dismissed by everyone else, just as nearly every woman I know had her mind blown by Ang Lee’s Sense and Sensibility, and no man I know has seen it.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...horror-movies-are-not-afraid-of-big-bad-women

Crimson Peak: A dark film with an incredible Gothic design, especially Crimson Peaks itself, the old crumbling mansion back in England. Called Crimson Peaks brecause of the red clay seeping up thrpugh the snow in Winter. The Ghosts were superb, both the Dark ghost of Edith's Mother ( and the Zombiesque bright red ghosts of the mother and baby.

Perhaps the state of the crumbling Mansion was a bit much. Why would Edith accept a large hole in the roof and red clay seeping up through the floorboards unless she was under some sort of a spell/glamour? There was no suggestion that this was the case.

A quibble. But overall this is good Ghost/Horror film if not a great one. 8/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2554274/

Season 2 of The Strain is pretty good. Great spider-like child vampires.

Pacific Rim 2 may be off the table for God knows how long (argh) but Guillermo del Toro is lining up his next project to follow the awesome Crimson Peak.

THR reports that the Pan’s Labyrinth director is in talks to helm the James Cameron-produced remake ofFantastic Voyage, the 1966 Richard Fleischer classic about a team shrunk down to enter the body of a comatose scientist. Yes, it was recently spoofed in Archer.

Del Toro will also develop the script with his Blade 2 collaborator David S Goyer, who has been working on the project for some time with writer Justin Rhodes.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/guillermo-del-toro-to-direct-fantastic-voyage-remake/

The proposed 90s remake that may or may not have been planned by James Cameron didn't set the microsub in a human body, but an alien one as the crew tried to save the life of a crashed extraterrestrial. I wonder if they'll keep that plot?

616x383xths_night_final_1-616x383.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2NvOcRsZN4.webp

The first look at Guillermo del Toro’s Netflix series Trollhunters has arrived courtesy of EW.

Based on the novel that he wrote with Daniel Kraus, which in turn was based on a story that was due to be turned into an animated film by Dreamworks back in 2010, Trollhunters will “unleash a new, fantastical world wrapped around the residents of the fictional suburb of Arcadia who make a startling discovery that the world beneath their hometown is as vast and mind-blowing as anything on the surface.”

Netflix and Dreamworks have teamed up for the animated series, which will premiere on the streaming service later this year.

Meanwhile, del Toro is hard at work on his mystery project, which shoots in Toronto later this year.

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/guillermo-del-toros-trollhunters-first-look/

Guillermo del Toro: 'I love monsters the way people worship holy images'
The film-maker’s fantastical world is not only expressed in his work but in his home – and now, thanks to a new exhibition in Los Angeles, anyone can visit

Of monsters and men: an installation view of Del Toro’s show. Photograph: Joshua White/JWPictures.com
Jordan Riefe in Los Angeles @Jriefe
Wednesday 3 August 2016 09.00 BSTLast modified on Wednesday 3 August 201621.15 BST

When film-maker Guillermo del Toro was directing his 2006 fantasy, Pan’s Labyrinth, he told his art department to conjure a make-believe world more real than the actual world. He was talking about the alternative realm into which his protagonist disappears in order to avoid the harsh realities of fascist Spain, but he could have been talking about his own Bleak House, a Westlake Village residence crammed full of mementoes, toys, illustrations, models, literature and art, all centered on the macabre. While it may seem like the indulgence of a rich Hollywood egomaniac, instead it is the brain trust of the most prolific and distinctive horror and sci-fi/fantasy film-maker working in movies today.

“It’s everything,” Del Toro struggles to find the words to describe Bleak House, (actually two houses side by side). “It’s the single thing that I have done that expresses me most completely, more than any of my movies.” The house could never withstand regular public visits but an ample sampling of the collection – including models, sculpture, first-edition literary classics, art work, illustrations and props – have been removed to Lacma for Guillermo del Toro: At Home With Monsters through 27 November, then will travel to Minneapolis and Toronto.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/03/guillermo-del-toro-bleak-house-home-lacma-exhibit

I think Pacific Rim 2 is still happening and rumours about hellboy 3 happening with Ron Perlman returning.

New film in December -

I've just watched this trailer and thought: ... it looks very French with everything set designed/ painted in orange and green ... and then a French woman started singing ... it looks like we have Amelie who's met Abe Sapian that's been designed by the orange and green posse that designed Thunderpants .. I'll check it out at some point probably ..

A new horror anthology series.

Here’s a short sentence that should get you very excited: Guillermo del Toro horror anthology.

It’s the sort of thing that feels like it should already exist, and now that we realise it doesn’t (yet), we need it all the more. Netflix has confirmed that its upcoming GdT-driven series (formerly known as '10 After Midnight') will be called Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet Of Curiosities, with eight episodes described as “a macabre mashup of genre-defining horror”, with filmmakers and stars hand-picked by the man himself. If all of that sounds tantalising wait until you see who he’s picked.

We don’t have titles for each story yet, but one episode will be directed by The Babadook director Jennifer Kent, teaming her back up with that film’s incredible star Essie Davis, as well as Andrew Lincoln and Hannah Galway – with an original story penned by del Toro himself. There’s also going to be an episode directed by Mandy’s Panos Cosmatos, one by Twilight filmmaker Catherine Hardwicke, and another by A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night director Ana Lily Amirpour.

It’s a very exciting line-up – which also includes episodes from David Prior, Guillermo Navarro, Keith Thomas, and Vincenzo Natali, with confirmed stars including F. Murray Abraham, Tim Blake Nelson, Crispin Glover, Ben Barnes, and Peter Weller. No word yet on when this one arrives, but it sounds like production is yet to begin – so think late 2022 at the earliest.

In short, it’s a good time to be a Guillermo del Toro fan. Not only is his Nightmare Alley (theoretically) still arriving in December, but next year will also bring his first animated feature – a retelling of Pinocchio in 1930s Fascist Italy, coming to Netflix. Bring on the curiosities.

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/new...ix-horror-anthology-unveils-director-line-up/

Del Toro needs to be getting the R-rated At the Mountains of Madness adaptation made. We should start a campaign.

Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix is off to a good start. Lot 36, you find some interesting things when you buy the contents of abandoned lock-up s, what looks like a good find may have drawbacks though, Shades of The Strain fuse with Lovecraftian tropes as tunnels are discovered and arcane occult books come into play.. Directed by Guillermo Navarro based on a short story by del Toro. "Graveyard Rats", not just rats, grave robbers, not just human ones, rats also rob bodies. grifters, giant rats, the living dead, with a streak of black humour but still quite shocking. Directed by Vincenzo Natali from a short story by Henry Kuttner. Both 8/10.

Last edited:
Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix is off to a good start. Lot 36, you find some interesting things when you buy the contents of abandoned lock-up s, what looks like a good find may have drawbacks though, Shades of The Strain fuse with Lovecraftian tropes as tunnels are discovered and arcane occult books come into play.. Directed by Guillermo Navarro based on a short story by del Toro. "Graveyard Rats", not just rats, grave robbers, not just human ones, rats also rob bodies. grifters, giant rats, the living dead, with a streak of black humour but still quite shocking. Directed by Vincenzo Natali from a short story by Henry Kuttner. Both 8/10.

"The Autopsy": What an autopsy! A tale of aliens, mind control and an explosion in a mine. Gruesome in parts, we literally encounter the risen dead, but it's the aura of uncertainty and fear which will also hold your attention. Really good SF/Horror. Directed by David Prior, Teleplay by : David S. Goyer. Based on the short story by : Michael Shea. 9/10.

Two good HP Lovecraft adaptations: "Pickman's Model" directed by Keith Thomas and "Dreams in the Witch House"Directed by Catherine Hardwicke. both 6/10.

Back