• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Films Your Parents Should Not Have Let You Watch

When he was about 8 my nephew nagged me into letting him see Aliens. He wasn't too scared by it but one scene really shocked him - when Ripley went back to the alien nest to rescue Newt. "What's she going to do that for? It's only a girl!"

He'll learn.

Oh he has, took him nearly 20 years though. He eventually admitted when he was about nine that he liked a girl because "she's a good fighter and can fart almost as loud as a boy."
"almost" :D

The whole family sat down to watch a movie last night. The kids really enjoy Indiana Jones movies but I had avoided The Temple of Doom because of the torture scenes. But we watched it last night and i made the kids cover their eyes during the human sacrifice/torture bits.

Then realised later that the images in their heads were probably much worse than the actual movie.

The whole family sat down to watch a movie last night. The kids really enjoy Indiana Jones movies but I had avoided The Temple of Doom because of the torture scenes. But we watched it last night and i made the kids cover their eyes during the human sacrifice/torture bits. Then realized later that the images in their heads were probably much worse than the actual movie.

That is almost inevitably correct.

The whole family sat down to watch a movie last night. The kids really enjoy Indiana Jones movies but I had avoided The Temple of Doom because of the torture scenes. But we watched it last night and i made the kids cover their eyes during the human sacrifice/torture bits.

Then realised later that the images in their heads were probably much worse than the actual movie.

I saw the restored version of Temple a while back, and the effects were blatantly rubbery and fake in the sacrifice moments, so the kids might have laughed, if anything.

Paint your wagon.
Like, red with blood, y'know.
It's got Clint Eastwood in it and everything.

My kids saw Raiders of the Lost Ark when it was on at children's watching time years ago. The end bit where all the Nazis' faces melt and their eyeballs fell out scared the daylights out of the brood. I said 'It's OK, they're Nazis, they deserve it!'

OK, how about the most terrifying film ever made... E.T.?!

https://medium.com/s/nerd-processor/e-t-is-secretly-the-scariest-movie-of-all-time-65035677f5c0

This guy REALLY doesn't like the friendly little alien, because he believes its purpose was to kill and possibly kill again. It's surprising how many kids are mortified by E.T., so if you're one of those, consider the article catharsis.

My 8 year-old niece stood on her cinema seat and shouted 'ET's NOT DEAD! HE CAN'T BE DEAD! HE'S ALIVE!'

OK, how about the most terrifying film ever made... E.T.?!

https://medium.com/s/nerd-processor/e-t-is-secretly-the-scariest-movie-of-all-time-65035677f5c0

This guy REALLY doesn't like the friendly little alien, because he believes its purpose was to kill and possibly kill again. It's surprising how many kids are mortified by E.T., so if you're one of those, consider the article catharsis.

I always wanted to see a scene at the end of ET inside his spacecraft which is full of Daleks. ET hops into an empty Dalek and says "We fooled them!"

Or at the end of ET, Elliot sits down for a meal with his family and then starts convulsing with severe chest pains....

Back