• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fireworks: Foolishness, Fails & Fatalities

I'd be happy if fireworks were restricted to licenced displays only.

I'm not a party pooper, and I actually love fireworks, they're beautiful, but they don't need to be as loud as they are (they do add 'things' to make them louder, I remember reading), and I am heartily sick of them going off at random times.

I've been unlucky enough to have animals that are scared of them, and a friend of a friend had to have a horse put down after it ran into a fence; people always say, "oh, you should keep your animals in", but you can't keep all your animals in for the weeks that they're going off. My GSD wasn't afraid of them until someone let one off in a back garden about 20 feet away from us as we were walking past, at 4;30PM on a weekday, three weeks before Guy Fawkes night

I'm also unfortunate enough to live between two houses of firework enthusiasts, they set them off all the damn time, oh it's the 2nd Wednesday in March, time for some fireworks!!! Hey, we're having a barbeque for our son's birthday in August, lets set off some fireworks at midnight!!!

Sick of those people's 'fun' affecting everyone else; I don't even want to think about all the little wild animals, as well as farm animals and pets, and people with PTSD etc, it's so selfish :(
Why should the majority have to suffer because of the minority? A few people at a birthday party enjoy the overly loud noise of fireworks at midnight or what ever time they want, and everyone in ear shot has to put up with it.

The effect also on wild life and pets doesn't enter their world of enjoyment of me first. It is almost as if it's become their right to do that because hey, it's my party and this is what is done at parties now.

Not having to put up with inconsiderate selfish people and their fireworks is not being a killjoy, instead it's those people with their fireworks who are being the killjoys by not considering others.

ps What does GSD stand for? Thanks.

A bit off topic but along a similar path. There's a party going on in a garden near me somewhere. I can hear loud music, lots of loud female voices, some screaming something, plenty of shouting, laughing, and so on.

I live in high rise so I hear sound from over a much larger distance than by living in a house.

It's the same mentality of don't give a f**k about others because 'we want to enjoy ourselves'.

Oh you'd love living here, just about a mile from Hatfield House, where they regularly have outdoor, all-day-long events.
Yesterday I believe it was something like 'Battle Proms', so loud booming music of all types throughout the day, a late afternoon acrobatic/aerobatic display by a MK.IX Spitfire (IIRC they are the first of the very loud ones with the bigger engine produced from 1944 onwards) which went on for about 15 minutes, and then when it finally got dark enough at about 10pm, a huge fireworks display that lasted about 45 minutes.
These events of various sorts go on throughout the year, most weekends.

I remember one time about 10 years ago, they were due to be hosting (again IIRC) "Eastern Electric" and decided to assemble and test the sound system in the preceding week, but they were testing it at it's maximum volume (not the limited volume that their licence allowed for the day of the event) and calls were flooding in to the local police because they were making widows windows rattle miles away.

That's one thing I won't be missing when I move to 'the sticks' in a couple of months.

Well it is still October and someone with a big wallet and small knob is obviously trying to impress his cretinous friends and family by having a firework party. The first bang occurred during full daylight and has been rolling on since. And it’s upsetting my Labrador who gets all defensive and wants to eat somebody in retaliation.

Again, you'd love living here.
Over at Hatfield House a couple of weeks ago they had some kind of competition between the best 'firework display' organisers in the country!
I'm not joking.
They each had something like a 20 minute display to show how good (or more likely, how loud) their effort was.
I think there were about a dozen displays which started at about 7pm and went on until about 1030.

There seem to have been a number of riots in Scotland and Yorkshire involving "yoofs" and fireworks - resulting according to the BBC this morning in one death of someone being pursued who ran through a greenhouse (!).

However a search of the BBC site now turns up nothing but a riot in Dundee. Being supressed for some reason?

There seem to have been a number of riots in Scotland and Yorkshire involving "yoofs" and fireworks - resulting according to the BBC this morning in one death of someone being pursued who ran through a greenhouse (!).

However a search of the BBC site now turns up nothing but a riot in Dundee. Being supressed for some reason?
I don’t see why it would be suppressed. It’s on the Metro site - according to which

Officers descended on a residential road in Halifax, West Yorkshire, following reports of fireworks being ‘hurled’ at people on Saturday evening.

Residents said the area had been ‘flooded’ with ‘scores’ of young people, with some seen setting off fireworks aimed at emergency workers, homes, shops and cars.

Qais is believed to have ran from the scene before jumping over a fence into a back garden, where he fatally cut himself by crashing through a greenhouse.
Looks like a tragic accident - the greenhouse is right next to the fence he jumped over if this photo is correct. He was allegedly fleeing police.

1667834104983.png

I don’t see why it would be suppressed. It’s on the Metro site - according to which

Looks like a tragic accident - the greenhouse is right next to the fence he jumped over if this photo is correct. He was allegedly fleeing police.

View attachment 60558
It was one of the lead articles on the BBC's UK news page this morning , when I looked later and tried a few searches (Youth killed, greenhouse, riots, fireworks, etc.) all I turned up was the older Dundee article. I wondered whether it was being played down to prevent copycat riots or because of a reaction by locals.

It was one of the lead articles on the BBC's UK news page this morning , when I looked later and tried a few searches (Youth killed, greenhouse, riots, fireworks, etc.) all I turned up was the older Dundee article. I wondered whether it was being played down to prevent copycat riots or because of a reaction by locals.
The BBC website is awful for finding stories that were up a few hours ago and have been moved. The search function is pretty much useless.

As well as the Dundee riots last week there was a stooshie in Edinburgh on Satruday night. An area called Niddry had the local intellectuals barricading bits and shooting fireworks at Police and Fire services. On the other hand the Edinburgh Diwali display was fantastic and one of the most fun and good natured events I have been to.

As well as the Dundee riots last week there was a stooshie in Edinburgh on Satruday night. An area called Niddry had the local intellectuals barricading bits and shooting fireworks at Police and Fire services. On the other hand the Edinburgh Diwali display was fantastic and one of the most fun and good natured events I have been to.
Stooshie?

Stooshie?

Scottish word of the day - Stooshie
3rd Jul 2012, 10:37am

A ‘stooshie’ is, generally speaking, a type of uproar or commotion, or a minor row of sorts.

Not to be confused with ‘stramash,’ (although the two are loosely connected), people tend to create a ‘stooshie’ about anything that irritates them, no matter how serious or trivial. ...

For example, several people have commented on the ‘stooshie’ created by the ongoing tramworks in Edinburgh.

The origins of the word are unclear, although it has been suggested that it is derived from ‘stashie,’ a form of the the word ‘ecstasy’, although quite how the definition of ‘stooshie’ could be linked with ‘ecstasy’ is unclear.

There is, however, a word ‘stoush’, used primarily in New Zealand and Australia which is generally applied to minor disputes or fights - perhaps suggesting that the ‘stooshie’ the Scots use either has its origins further afield than previously thought, or the Scots dialect is alive and well in Oceania.
SOURCE: https://www.scotsman.com/whats-on/arts-and-entertainment/scottish-word-day-stooshie-1619979

I think we discovered only recently that there are many, many words for the same situation.

Back