• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

First Issue Of Fortean Times

Yes the compilations were published by Fortean Tomes which was Bob’s publishing company.
Of those I have, the first one was published by Fortean Tomes but the rest were James Brown (I don't think they were reprints).
James Brown published lots of stuff in those far off, mainstream days.

I think the book compilations of FT (presumably bar the first one) were all from John Brown Publishing in the 1990s- i.e. before James Brown (no relation).

As far as I can recall, the CD-Rom versions (while FT was at Dennis Publishing) had problems with their very limited indexing, plus some other glitches. Given the frequency of upgrades for both hardware and software, I suspect most modern users would have trouble reading those versions now.

Better to stick with paper - it'll last for centuries (well, if we're talking Gutenberg Bible-type paper - that wood-pulp stuff crumbles to dust after only a few decades, as my SF paperbacks from the Fifties and Sixties attest. Maybe we ought to consider stone-carving. No, a few millennia of weathering would put paid to that. Anyone have ready access to titanium plates?).

What are the chances of digital copies of the full FT back catalogue being made available?

4 x CDs of the first 30 issues plus occasional papers - they digitised a lot of the issues up to at least #191
https://www.sds-group.co.uk/ carried out the work - might be they still have them somewhere.

FTPDFs.jpg

Back