• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fizzy Custard

Growing up, we had the pink creaming soda, perfect for making a Red Fire Engine (ice cream at the bottom of the glass, then pour in the creaming soda. A lime spider was done the same but with lime flavoured lemonade - making it limeade?)

On ironbru, Secret Scotland this week saw Susan Calman visit the factory where she was unsucessful in wrestling the secret of the blend from the amusingly (next too the height challenged Mrs Calman...) tall owner. He also claimed that only he and his daughter (?,memory going) knew the secret and they were not allowed to fly together.

I like Irn Bru, but it is pretty much rust flavoured.

"Hong Thong?"

Made me think of this.

I know @Swifty will remember this.

To tell the truth, I don't remember that one .. I remember 'Bitch With a Perm' though .. which I'm not proud of and doesn't help us resolve this fizzy custard question.

I find this photo strangely relaxing.

Attachments

• DZZHvR_W4AAvm2U.jpg
    DZZHvR_W4AAvm2U.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 15
In Japan "Milk" is considered a flavor, not a consumable in its own right. There is even a milk flavored soft-drink called Calpis. I imagine it would not be a huge leap to turn Calpis into "Calpis plus Vanilla=Custard"

@GNC et al

On a slight tangent, anyone ever had a Brooklyn Egg Cream?

I am lactose intolerant so never tried a commercially available one when I have been in New York , but might try to make my own non-dairy one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_cream

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/drink/non-alcoholic-drink/dairy-free-new-york-egg-cream.html

Hadn't heard of them until you mentioned them.
Now Atlas Obscura's just posted a link to an article about them.

In this thread - discussion of exploding custard.
Yesterday, Youtube recommended a clip from QI for me. It was about exploding custard powder.

Something for the Coincidences thread, perhaps... or the Alexa thread.

Hadn't heard of them until you mentioned them. Now Atlas Obscura's just posted a link to an article about them. In this thread - discussion of exploding custard. Yesterday, Youtube recommended a clip from QI for me. It was about exploding custard powder. Something for the Coincidences thread, perhaps... or the Alexa thread.
Big Media is watching you.

Last night I drank a bottle of cream soda and imagined it was custard flavoured. In that frame of mind, I could just about do it, and the more I thought about it, the more custardy it became. But I still say a custard fizzy drink could be a winner, with or without rhubarb.

Last night I drank a bottle of cream soda and imagined it was custard flavoured. In that frame of mind, I could just about do it, and the more I thought about it, the more custardy it became. But I still say a custard fizzy drink could be a winner, with or without rhubarb.
Were going to try it with a C02 cartridge plugged into a kitchen charger .. I'm not a qualified chef but he is, I imagine they'll 'reduce' the custard or something else similar that I don't understand, no idea if it will be shop bought liquid custard or not .. I doubt it .. and the powdered stuff will be another consideration because of the previously mentioned potential fire hazards ..

If you're going to create fizzy custard using a Sodastream or similar, you may have to add the sugar content after the fizzing stage - perhaps in the form of a vanilla-flavoured syrup. Extra sugar is required to hide the metallic taste of the CO2.

Can't you just mix custard powder into carbonated water? That's all I really wanted from fizzy custard.
You might be able to do that. Maybe this:
Stage 1: Fizz up water.
Stage 2: Mix up custard powder into a paste with a little water.
Stage 3: Pour flavoured syrup into fizzy water and gently mix.
Stage 4: Pour custard paste into fizzy water/syrup mix and move bottle around to mix.
Stage 5: Find a willing victim to drink it.

You're the new Heston Blumenthal, Mytho! I fear the willing victim would be myself.

You're the new Heston Blumenthal, Mytho! I fear the willing victim would be myself.
We could always ask the LA Beast. He'll drink anything, pretty much.

There are a lot of dairy products with bacteria and yeasts. Surely some of them must produce CO2 and can be mixed with custard powder.

There are a lot of dairy products with bacteria and yeasts. Surely some of them must produce CO2 and can be mixed with custard powder.

If you go with dairy bacteria, you'll end up with something akin to vanilla yoghurt. If you play with yeasts you'll probably get a custard beer or beer-infused custard, both of which sort of exist. The gloopiness of custard means the fluid wouldn't circulate too well and I suspect . I'd say the best bet is fizzing up water first then adding the custard powder mix.

It's basic fizzics.

Would stirring in some Epsom Salts work ?

Back