• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fizzy Custard

Custard is essentially vanilla-flavoured, isn't it? So is Cream Soda, though it tends to be weirdly-coloured, never yellow. I think it was lurid green, when I was a sprog. :boozing:

I remember using tinned custard as a substitute for advocaat, when a "Snowball" was demanded by a relative. She liked it! It's a good job I did not look up the recipe online, where a Snowball turned out to mean something not-so-vanilla! :oops:

Why can't you get custard flavour soft (fizzy) drinks? Is it because custard powder can be explosive?

Custard powder isn’t, strictly speaking, explosive. Any flammable powder at a suitable concentration, suspended in air, will flare up if ignited. lf said flare-up is confined, e.g. in a building, the results can be catastrophic.

Mythbusters has demonstrated such energetic displays using coffee whitener:

Sawdust will also work nicely:

When the ignition occurs inside a building, the results can be devastating:

1920px-Imperial_Sugar_Georgia_Two.jpg

2008 Georgia sugar refinery explosion

Wikipedia on dust explosions.

maximus otter

Thanks for the replies! Cream Soda is certainly vanilla flavoured, but I don't think custard is, although I suppose you could add vanilla to it. Dr Pepper is marzipan flavoured, I do know that.

M&S rhubarb and custard fizzy drink is a new one on me, I bet it's expensive, though!

I wasn't so much thinking of a fizzy custard turning into a Molotov cocktail unintentionally, it was more the combination of custard and fizz creating a mint in the cola-style fizz explosion. But M&S have me thinking differently.

Corona fizzy drinks.
Perhaps nostalgia kicks in, but they were really nice!
And you could get a refund on the empty bottle.

Some, but not all. I think it's sarsparilla.

Dr. Pepper is elusive. Definitely cherry and prune, but I won't be surprised if I taste almond too, next time I have one. That should be in 10-20 years.

l quite like a diet Dr. Pepper when l can find one. l get dark cherry and almond; defo not prune.

maximus otter

Why can't you get custard flavour soft (fizzy) drinks? Is it because custard powder can be explosive?
I know you're talking about a drink but I've just messaged our 2 rosette rated head chef to ask if he thinks he could make fizzy custard and he's up for giving it a go.

...cola, cherry, licorice, amaretto (almond, vanilla, blackberry, apricot, blackberry, caramel, pepper, anise, sarsaparilla, ginger, molasses, lemon, plum, orange, nutmeg, cardamon, all spice, coriander juniper, birch and prickly ash.
Blackberry twice! And they open a set of brackets but never close them. I hate it (when that happens.

Back