• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flaming Hole In The Ground (Arkansas, Sept. 2018)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This pre-existing hole in the ground suddenly erupted flames for 40 minutes, and they're still trying to figure out why ...

Source of flaming hole in northern Arkansas remains mystery
Officials in northern Arkansas are investigating the cause of a mysterious hole in the ground that spouted flames into the air for more than 40 minutes.

Investigators have ruled out methane as the source of the fire that erupted from the hole on Sept. 17 in Midway, a community near the Arkansas-Missouri border. Farfetched suspicions, such as meteorites, have also been proven unfounded, Baxter County Judge Mickey Pendergrass told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette .

The judge acknowledged other theories, too: "As far as the spiritual Satan goes, we've ruled that out. ... He didn't come up and stick his pitchfork in the ground and blow that hole out."

The flames flared up to 12 feet (3.6 meters) high from the hole, which has been on the private property for at least 10 years, Pendergrass said. Geologists scoped the hole with a camera and determined it was likely created by an animal because it extended horizontal before intercepting a nearby drainage ditch, according to an Arkansas Geological Survey report.

No utility or fuel lines in the area were determined to be leaking, Pendergrass said. Black Hills Energy technicians didn't detect any natural gas in the area.

Soil samples taken from the site haven't yet been analyzed by a lab.

"The soil samples should clear up any possibility of gasoline or anything else put down the hole or migrating groundwater contaminate such as gasoline," said Ty Johnson of the Geological Survey.

County officials were concerned that a leak could've ignited other fires around town.

"We've kind of relieved our fears about it being a danger to the surrounding neighborhood," Pendergrass said.

SOURCE: https://www.gazettextra.com/news/na...cle_b164dffd-3e23-5029-9884-716e05bc2c3e.html

"He said it doesn't appear that anyone got photographs or video of the fire, which started about 4:30 a.m."

:bf:

I'd say it was a pocket of natural gas that burned away to nothing, leaving no trace.

I wonder how a pocket of gas could spontaneously combust..

I wonder how a pocket of gas could spontaneously combust..
Fag butt flicked into hole.
Static discharge (lightning or something else).
Rock falling down into hole and hitting another rock or a piece of metal.

Imho, if it was near a drainage ditch, it was most likely methane or H2S building up from rotting vegetation.

The judge acknowledged other theories, too: "As far as the spiritual Satan goes, we've ruled that out. ... He didn't come up and stick his pitchfork in the ground and blow that hole out."

How unusually enlightened of an Arkansas judge to rule out demonic interference. I am surprised that only "Acts of God" are recognized in the US legal system btw.

I can't access the website - I get the following message. I'm in the UK using Firefox on a MacBook Air, though I get the same on Safari.
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 10.59.42.png

I can't access the website - I get the following message. I'm in the UK using Firefox on a MacBook Air, though I get the same on Safari.View attachment 12087

The gazettextra link at the bottom of Enola's post leads to the 'unavailable' message but if you click on the 'Arkansas Democrat-Gazette link in the 3rd para you get to the story.

The report says " technicians [from Black Hills Energy] detected no natural gas in the area".

Donald Tucker, chief of the Midway Fire Protection District, said "It was burning red-orange color, about 2 feet in diameter," he said. "It came up about crotch high and spread out to that width."

It left no soot deposit. We need someone with chemical knowledge to suggest something which could burn with this colour & not leave sooty traces.

Clicked on this thread just as Fixing a Hole by the Beatles played on the radio... coincidence?

The gazettextra link at the bottom of Enola's post leads to the 'unavailable' message but if you click on the 'Arkansas Democrat-Gazette link in the 3rd para you get to the story.

The report says " technicians [from Black Hills Energy] detected no natural gas in the area".

Donald Tucker, chief of the Midway Fire Protection District, said "It was burning red-orange color, about 2 feet in diameter," he said. "It came up about crotch high and spread out to that width."

It left no soot deposit. We need someone with chemical knowledge to suggest something which could burn with this colour & not leave sooty traces.
Many thanks.

"He said it doesn't appear that anyone got photographs or video of the fire, which started about 4:30 a.m."

:bf:

Which is odd considering that somebody must have seen it, reported it and timed its duration at 40 minutes. Plenty of time there for someone to whip out their phone.

A burn of 40 minutes means sustained fuel source - not an explosion of built-up gases but a constant feed of fuel. Something was probably poured down the hole and ignited to see if something would run out.

Which is odd considering that somebody must have seen it, reported it and timed its duration at 40 minutes. Plenty of time there for someone to whip out their phone.

A burn of 40 minutes means sustained fuel source - not an explosion of built-up gases but a constant feed of fuel. Something was probably poured down the hole and ignited to see if something would run out.
Ringo, I agree. In the days when the whole world and their significant other has a camera phone (though I don't, sticking with my Nokia brick) it seems slightly improbable. I'd like to have seen a pic of Satan...

Back