• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flash Gordon & Other Bad Films!

You are correct Sir ... and also ... FLASH AaaHAaaa .. the full movie. Is there anything the internet can't do :)

I really enjoyed Iron Sky, though. Completely daft, of course (Lunar Nazis riding motorbikes and driving VW Beetles), but knowingly daft, and huge fun.

Loved Iron Sky, I'm normally wary of overblown fan projects but this one sold me on the idea that if you have a killer idea and the innovative mind to bring off your vision, you deserve to be on the big screen with the big boys. Shame they don't seem to have done anything since, as far as I can see.

Their first feature, Star Wreck, I gave up on after a few minutes... but I enjoyed Iron Sky.

The sequel has been succesfully crowdfunded!

Splendid news! Though I hope they're not flogging a dead, er, T-Rex. No Udo Kier this time?

Loved Iron Sky, I'm normally wary of overblown fan projects but this one sold me on the idea that if you have a killer idea and the innovative mind to bring off your vision, you deserve to be on the big screen with the big boys. Shame they don't seem to have done anything since, as far as I can see.

Almost gave a squeal of delight when I found it on DVD recently! Once home, I watched it straight away, enjoying the terribleness of this fillum!

Crap but good films...yeah.

You would expect Alone in the Dark 2 to be appalling being, as it is, the sequel to what has been called `the worst film ever made`. I didn't know this when I saw it, or anything of the video game origins of both of the films (being an absolute non-gamer) and so came to it completely fresh. Thoroughly enjoyed it! - and not in an `ironic` way either. I found it original and charming and quite relished the way hard science was grafted onto paranormal hocus-pocus e.g using electrified metal cages to keep the spirits of witches at bay.

Split Second (circa early nineties) is another one. A sort of `homoerotic` buddy movie in which two men team up against a monster - Satan himself no less! - causing distress in a London subway in the near-future.

It's full of the kind of dumb machismo, where everything can be solved with better fire power, that I would normally despise, but the lead, Rutger Hauer plays it with such panache that he kinda pulls it off.

Didn't notice anything homoerotic in Split Second, but it was a popular video rental back in my younger days. Almost a spoof, considering how funny it can be.

This is a documentary for the fans:
https://www.lifeafterflash.com/
'Life After Flash' explores the life of Sam J Jones since his iconic performance as 'Flash Gordon' in the 1980 classic of the same name, and the aftermath of the young stars' clash with one of Hollywood's biggest legends, producer Dino De Laurentiis.

'Life After Flash' is an inspiring and moving feature documentary that celebrates what makes that Mike Hodges enduring classic so iconic with audiences to this day, and looks at the real man behind the heroic mask: his successes, his battles, and his ultimate struggle for redemption.

For the record, I unironicly dig Flash Gordon and think it's a blast of fun. Many the day it's been where I'm about to do something I don't want to do and I think or verbalize "Oh well, who wants to live forever.... DDDDDIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEE!"

This is a documentary for the fans:
https://www.lifeafterflash.com/

For the record, I unironicly dig Flash Gordon and think it's a blast of fun. Many the day it's been where I'm about to do something I don't want to do and I think or verbalize "Oh well, who wants to live forever.... DDDDDIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEE!"
Flash Gordon is a great film hampered by the performances of the two leads. Neither Jones nor Melody Anderson were particularly good, but the rest of the cast is stellar, and clearly having the times of their lives. Or maybe that was just Brian Blessed. Seriously, everyone else in that film was at exactly the right level of over-acting, just the two leads were essentially furniture.

Melody Anderson's cheerleader chant in the throne room made me a man.

I seem to remember that my school showed Flash Gordon on one of our end of term fun days, I must have been about 6 - maybe younger. While I love the film, I've never been convinced it was suitable 6year old fare, do often wonder if I was having some very odd film related false memory! Ace film though!

I seem to remember that my school showed Flash Gordon on one of our end of term fun days, I must have been about 6 - maybe younger. While I love the film, I've never been convinced it was suitable 6year old fare, do often wonder if I was having some very odd film related false memory! Ace film though!
It was a PG rating, so technically OK because you were 'accompanied by adults'.

It was a PG rating, so technically OK because you were 'accompanied by adults'.

You say that, they'd probably nipped off for a crafty smoke behind the bikeshed once all the kiddiwinks were corralled in the video room! :rollingw:

Don't forget Klytus's face splurging out of his mask when he's spiked. And how incredibly kinky the whole atmosphere is - no wonder it's called the natural successor to Barbarella.

One curl of Ornella Muti's lip would send Julian Clary into a reassessment of his values.

Back