• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flasher Frog Discovered

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Not sure if this is the right place for this story - feel free to move it.
'Flasher' frog found hidden in Australian swamp
_92235675_mahony'stoadlet2_photocreditsheenamartin.jpg
Image copyrightUNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE
Image captionA new species of frog has been discovered on Australia's east coast
A rare species of frog which startles predators by flashing its bright orange groin has been discovered in swampland on Australia's east coast.

Not much bigger than a human fingertip, Mahony's Toadlet has a distinctive marbled underbelly.

The species was discovered by accident not far from the airport at Newcastle, 160km (100 miles) north of Sydney.

The tiny amphibian has been named after Professor Michael Mahony, a renowned frog expert and conservationist.

_92235677_drsimonclulow3_photocreditsheenamartin.jpg
Image copyrightUNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE
Image captionDr Simon Clulow discovered the new species several years ago
University of Newcastle researcher Simon Clulow made the discovery several years ago, but it is has just been made public in the scientific journal Zootaxa.

Dr Clulow said the frog's ability to camouflage itself is probably why it remained hidden for so long.

"Unfortunately, because the frog only seems to occur in these coastal sand-bed swamps in quite a restricted distribution it means that it's probably under threat from things like coastal developments," he said.

Not to be confused with a toad, the native Australian frog species has glands on its back similar to toads found in Europe and the America.

Its unique black-and-white belly and orange groin made it immediately recognisable as a new species.

"The idea is that as he leaps away his legs shoot out and there's this brilliant flash of colour and that supposedly startles the predator," Dr Clulow said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-37868024

"The idea is that as he leaps away his legs shoot out and there's this brilliant flash of colour and really that was the moment I knew I had to catch him and kiss him," Dr Clulow said. :D

as he leaps away his legs shoot out and there's this brilliant flash of colour and really that was the moment I knew I had to catch him and kiss him

I think we all know this feeling! :oops:

You call that a flasher frog?

This is a flasher frog! ...

Watch This Frog Light Up After It Swallows a Firefly
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzEwMC81NzMvaTAyL2ZpcmVmbHktaW5zaWRlLWZyb2ctbW92aW5nLmdpZj8xNTMwODMxNDI4

Cellphone video recently captured an incredible sight: After a tiny frog gulped down a firefly, the unlucky insect kept flashing from inside the amphibian's gullet, perhaps broadcasting a final, desperate SOS.

The frog, which was clinging to a window in Tallahassee, Florida, swallowed the firefly on June 11 at dusk, according to Beverly McCord, who told Live Science that she observed the moment in her backyard and quickly grabbed her phone to record it.

After swallowing the glowing insect, the frog appeared unharmed. That's surprising, as many firefly species secrete a chemical that is highly toxic to most predators, experts told Live Science. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/63000-firefly-inside-frog-video.html

Back