• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flashing Sky / Sky Flashes / Flashes In The Sky (General / Misc.)

Sthenno

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was listening to the local radio station today and some guy had phoned in, I only caught the end of what he was saying but he said he had rang in because he "had seen what all the other callers had" which implies there were a lot of people phoning in about this incident. The guy I heard described being out in Ilfracombe, Devon last night and seeing the whole sky lit up "like daytime" followed by street lights going out. When asked what he thought it could be he replied something along the lines of "maybe lightening, except it was pink."
Bizarre.
I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else but so far there's been nothing on the local news, which is strange because there's no other news to talk about and you'd think the reporters would jump on something this interesting. It's all a conspiracy I tell ye!

I used to live on the coast in Bude, I've seen this a few times, it is lightning, the cloud cover causes the pink colouration and the electrical pulse could have affected a local substation.

i heard it too... i think latter on somone mentioned a hotel haveing a light show in thier garden.

Sthenno said:
Aww....that's no fun :(

i know... afew years ago i set out from Penryn conviced someone in the valley was haveing a light show but as we neared Falmouth it proved to be The Greenlawns hotel with huge serchlights revolveing on their front garden. Those lightes realy travel!

according to http://www.spaceweather.com last 2 nites and tonite had/have a good chance of aurora sightings even at low latitudes. Could have been that, and co-incidence that the street lights failed. The time I saw the aurora down here it was a very bright pink, super light show in the northern sky.

Flash in sky sparks UFO theory

A CITY pensioner is hoping someone can shed light on a gigantic flash across the sky over his house which caused his radio to lose its channels.

John Reynolds, who lives in St John's with his wife Margaret, said he was stunned by the phenomenon, which happened at around 10pm on Wednesday evening.

"I was putting milk bottles out for the next morning, and I saw the whole sky light up like a gigantic explosion," said the 63-year-old.

"I thought it was a bomb because it was so vivid, I've never seen anything like it before.

"It lit up into a yellow colour like a sheet of lightning, but it was so white that I thought it wasn't lightning.

"When I came back in the house my CD and radio player was going berserk, and we have now lost every channel on the radio."

Mr Reynolds, who works as a printing agent, said he saw a friend the following day who had a similar experience at his St John's home.

"He was in the shower at 10pm the same night and the water went off for a few seconds," said the father of two.

"This man's central heating had a clock, which has now gone wrong."

Thunder

Worcester police said they had not had any calls reporting unusual lights over St John's.

Evening News weatherman, Paul Damari said there was no thunder and lightning in the area at the time.

"No-one has reported anything unusual to me," he said.

Michael Soper, spokesman for Contact International, which collects and analyses data on UFO and crop circle reports, said he had no idea what could have caused the gigantic flash, and did not class the incident as a UFO sighting.

"If there had been several flashes I would have wondered if it was a covert signalling system," he said.

Did you see anything on Wednesday night? Perhaps you have a suggestion as to what the light might have been. If you have, contact the newsroom on 01905 742256 or alternatively e-mail: [email protected]

daol.newsquest.co.uk/worcs/remote/random.asp?pub=WE&cat=3
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I used to live in Worcester, near St Johns.
I lived in a few different parts of the city too, and remember once when I lived in Barbourne, looking out the kitchen window and seeing a tremendous thunder storm where the lightning was hitting St Johns. Maybe it's a hot spot? :eek!!!!:

Is this place near any secret base or air force place or anything?

No, it isn't. St Johns is a very quiet part of town where there are some shops. I don't think there are any air forces bases in Worcester, not that I saw in 4 years of living there anyway.

Spooky angel said:
No, it isn't. St Johns is a very quiet part of town where there are some shops. I don't think there are any air forces bases in Worcester, not that I saw in 4 years of living there anyway.
Ah, ha! A leafy street of 'shops' is exactly where I would hide a secret air base!:D

there is an army barracks and weapons testing centre in norton which is only 1 or 2 miles away, but im sure that just coincidence.

This 2011 news article about sky flashing in New Jersey includes a witness's video of the phenomenon.
Mysterious Flashes Light Up New Jersey Sky

Published November 23, 2011 • Updated on November 23, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Bright flashes of light in the midnight sky over parts of New Jersey mystified residents overnight, coming at the same time as scattered power outages.

The flickering lights began sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. and lasted for more than a minute.

Michael Vida, 30, said he was awakened by beeps from battery backups that kick on when power is out.

When he got up, he said "it was practically daylight outside, and I opened up the blinks and all kinds of crazy colors that were going off -- red, blue, green, yellow lights."

"I had no idea what it was," he told NBC New York. "I was half asleep, the science fiction buff in me wanted to think it was some alien thing going on."

Vida started shooting it on video with his cell phone -- you can see the video above.

His was one of thousands of homes without power overnight, when there was also a heavy rainstorm.
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/bridgewater-sky-flashes-new-jersey-power-outages/1933473/

Bright flashes of light in the midnight sky over parts of New Jersey mystified residents overnight, coming at the same time as scattered power outages. The flickering lights began sometime between 12:30 a.m. and 1 a.m. and lasted for more than a minute. Michael Vida, 30, said he was awakened by beeps from battery backups that kick on when power is out. When he got up, he said "it was practically daylight outside, and I opened up the blinks and all kinds of crazy colors that were going off -- red, blue, green, yellow lights."
Yeah the scattered power outages are the clue here.
Exploding power lines can emit a wide range of colours - see this video of a phase-to-phase arc.

Yeah the scattered power outages are the clue here.
Exploding power lines can emit a wide range of colours - see this video of a phase-to-phase arc.
Ahh, hurricane lights... all that blue and green and orange when the lines aren't maintained well. When they are maintained you don't see much.

I'd love to see pink! I saw purple lightning once...

Back