• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I thought the idea of food and drink being reduced to pills and tablets was a 60's concept of the future. This whole idea of 'tea tablets' reeks of pointless research done to justify scientific funding for bored scientists.
WHY? If you are "toooooooo busy" for a nice cup of tea then you don't deserve one!

The Yithian said:
Wrong: morally.

Tea is not merely a hot caffeinated beverage but a social ritual around which the day may be arranged.

Any attempt to deprive us of this occasion is a ploy to rob us of our history and identity in order to lengthen the working day.

TO THE BARRICADES!

I'm right beside you, a pitchfork propped up against the overturned cart, a burning brand in one hand and a steaming mug of tea in t'other!

NO RETREAT! NO SURRENDER! NO MERCY!

anome said:
Doesn't explain why it's still for sale in supermarkets in Australia.

ah its a cunning plan! by blair to disolve the commonwealth :shock:

Crouches on ground in filthy alley, holds burning match under bowl of teaspoon in which sizzles a mixture of roughly-crushed tablets and spit.

Since kettles were outlawed, we've had to get our PG Tips fix any way we can. :(

Offers 'khan a grubby syringe

Hope you've sterilised your strainer, I've heard you can get nasty infections like that.

Gan Lu would be rolling in his grave*

(he was a buddhist so maybe he's still around somewhere)

I drink the `Lift` lemon tea sometimes.

lemon tea is better with a bag and lemon juice tho`

Lift is okay, but I get my fix from either English Breakfast tea, fennel and valerian (for my 'nighty night' brew) or nice 'n' strong chinese green tea.

Heating up these Devils Tablets? Sorry, Esc, but I don't do artificial.
*Tears open a hoarded Typhoo teabag and snorts the lot*.
Groovy, baby! Where's me Rich Tea bicckies?

I have been on a month-long tea testing experience, trying all sorts of teas.

I'm currently on Earl-Grey.

I'm enjoying it a lot.

Mike P said:
Back in the 70's you could buy instant tea.

My favorite brand is QT; I drink it all the time. Sad I know, but I first latched onto it in the seventies when I was a dashing young airman working abroad on the Harrier Force. QT contains powdered milk as well as tea solids, so all you need for a cuppa is a drop of boiling water (it isn't easy to get milk in the jungle or on a battlefield exercise) - I've drunk it ever since.

Am into chai tea at the moment. The first time I'd ever had it, it was brewed up by an East Indian friend at a party, and she made it as spicy as a vindaloo! We were all gagging. Warily, I tiptoed up to chai again years later and found that it was actually nice. :)

Arthur ASCII said:
Mike P said:
Back in the 70's you could buy instant tea.

My favorite brand is QT; I drink it all the time. Sad I know, but I first latched onto it in the seventies when I was a dashing young airman working abroad on the Harrier Force. QT contains powdered milk as well as tea solids, so all you need for a cuppa is a drop of boiling water (it isn't easy to get milk in the jungle or on a battlefield exercise) - I've drunk it ever since.

my grandmother drinks something like this - it sounds vile, although it must be convenient for camping trips.

pssst! anyone one wanna buy a decent hit of tea *opens long jacket, with bags of the good stuff attached to lining* c'mon dont be shy!. ive got the best gear going on the mb ;). ive got earl grey, scottish, irish and english breakfast, *looks round, shiftily* and if you really want and can afford the special stuff. gunpower, green tea, yorkshire!!!!!

its cheap. only a quid a bag. and for the special stuff its only 5£ you wont find any cheaper on the mb :D

shuffles up to Melf, hoodie pulled down over eyes
'ere, I'll take two Yorkshires, please mate.

That Storm, 'e'll destroy 'is nasal passages, snortin' it like that.

*Sidles up to Melf looking shifty*
You got any baggies of Earl Grey there? I can handle it; I don't really need the tannin but, y'know, it makes the day seem okay.

err, i got to ask you both. are you the tea fuzz? cos err i got to ask as its the law!. and you gtta answer righty! ow right? *takes two bags of yorks & 5 of e.gs out of inside pocket*

right then thats 10£ from you girly and 5£ from you mate

*takes cash off both scargo and sk, hands bags to each of them* now scram and if i find out that youre both porkying, ill force feed you coffee, the cheapest i can find, like happy shopper wight?

*Tears open a bag and shoves nose in it, snorting big time!*
Bedamned to nasal damage, Eurocrats and hellish Frankenstein science! Tea is the British staple and it'll not be taken from us! WE FOUGHT A DAMN WAR OVER IT! Some colonials across the Atlantic, it was. Lot's of silly wigs, bad food, muskets and stuff. We had to give the win to them in the end, they were starting to cry...

ere boyo! i fink youre doing to much of the good stuff to much offen like!
you need to cut down like! i dun wan' my cus'murs oding like :eek!!!!:

Yup, that Storm, he's overdoing it, you can tell. The signs are all there: the crooked little finger, the biscuit crumbs down his front, one hand curling into 'saucer grip'.............. :(

And the dead giveaway. The hair. Only a slight tint now, and the tiniest wave..........but mark my words........not long before it's a blue rinse. :shock:

The humanity. :nooo:

I doubt tea tablets will actually stop one from being able to buy loose tea or make it in a pot. Don't panic!

Nurse, the screens, please. Thank you.
Gives James an irony injection.
There! All better now! :D

I've quite enough iron in my bloodstream, thankyou :?

Iron, maybe. But "Irony"?

'Ere, Melf. I was hoping to score about a key of Scottish Breakfast. You got that kind of quantity, or should I take my business elsewhere?

anome said:
'Ere, Melf. I was hoping to score about a key of Scottish Breakfast. You got that kind of quantity, or should I take my business elsewhere?

old on mate, i could give you a sample bag or two now. *gives anome a business card, and a few bags*

phone this number and ill see what i can do ok?

looks into dry, dusty teapot, sighs, tips it up and watches a spider fall out and scuttle away

The baaad times are here. :(

Go buy yourself a grow light and start growing your own in the basement.
(Says Midnight who wouldn't know what form of vegetation produces tea if one bit her.)

i am just finishing a can of loose tea that my daughter picked up in london from what i think was a typical, touristy gift shop. i love this tea, but i'm guessing it's just considered generic crap over there. i did a google search, but couldn't find anything about it. i'm sure everyone will laugh when i post what it is:

earl grey
underground tea

it comes in a square tin with a map of the underground on it.

i have the feeling this tea is everywhere in london, and probably purchased by every american tourist.

:?:

Generic crap? Hardly. Generic crap would be Tetleys blend or some cheaper equivalent. Earl Grey is rather more upwardly mobile than a blend.

I think it's supposed to be taken with lemon. It's not a tea I like. It's a bit perfumed and cat-pee for my tastes. Love-in-a-canoe tea ;)

Actually, I think it's an acquired taste. I generally prefer stronger teas like Assam.

Can you get Earl Grey? I'd send you some Twinnings tea bags or loose if you can't.

Ravenstone said:
Generic crap? Hardly. Generic crap would be Tetleys blend or some cheaper equivalent. Earl Grey is rather more upwardly mobile than a blend.

I think it's supposed to be taken with lemon. It's not a tea I like. It's a bit perfumed and cat-pee for my tastes. Love-in-a-canoe tea ;)

Actually, I think it's an acquired taste. I generally prefer stronger teas like Assam.

Can you get Earl Grey? I'd send you some Twinnings tea bags or loose if you can't.

ravenstone,
thanks for the offer! :)

we have twinnings earl grey here, and all sorts of earl grey tea, but the underground tea is the best earl grey i've ever had. and you're right. there is a cat pee quality to a lot of earl grey tea. the underground tea seems to be more perfume-oriented, but not overly so, and not fake like some.

Back