"Flavours" That Don't Taste Like The Actual Thing

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like blue cheese.
How can anyone...?
I simply can't eat it. The first two times I ate and swallowed blue cheese as a child I immediately threw up - on one occasion without making it away from the dinner table. That's never happened to me before or since with any other food - not even when seriously ill or when getting food poisoned (as it would turn out). It wasn't just a gag response to the taste - in both cases I didn't get nauseous until I swallowed it.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Was at a friend's house when that stuff first came out and saw a bottle in the fridge, read the label to him, seem to recall it was like 4% actual orange juice... that went straight in the bin too.
The guy's wife said "I wouldn't drink it, I might paint a shed with it but I'd never drink it."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I simply can't eat it. The first two times I ate and swallowed blue cheese as a child I immediately threw up - on one occasion without making it away from the dinner table. That's never happened to me before or since with any other food - not even when seriously ill or when getting food poisoned (as it would turn out). It wasn't just a gag response to the taste - in both cases I didn't get nauseous until I swallowed it.
I remember having an egg and cheese flan (quiche without the meat) at school and liking it. I hated cheese then and still do now, but the school dinner version was nice.
Anyhoo, I told my Mum and her reaction was 'hooray - he likes cheese'... and then she made one which looked superficially like the school one.
Well, I threw up after a few bites. She'd only gone and used the stinky, mature cheese that she and my Dad liked! It was like poison to me.
Happy times.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of grape flavoring ...

Has anyone else tried a Grāpple (an apple soaked in grape flavoring to give it a pseudo-grape taste)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grāpple

I tried them, and I have to admit the first bite yields a most authentic grape flavor. After the first bite the grape-iness fades until it's more or less just another apple, and not a particularly great one.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Speaking of grape flavoring ...

Has anyone else tried a Grāpple (an apple soaked in grape flavoring to give it a pseudo-grape taste)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grāpple

I tried them, and I have to admit the first bite yields a most authentic grape flavor. After the first bite the grape-iness fades until it's more or less just another apple, and not a particularly great one.
Yes but why bother? If you want something that tastes like a grape why not simply buy a grape?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
I like Cherry Coke but can never find it. I like Dr Pepper too, which is like fizzy marzipan. But I only have one fizzy drink a week, otherwise I drink coffee and fruit juice. Grape juice is unbelievably sweet anyway, don't know why you need to add it to carbonated sugar water.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Yes but why bother? If you want something that tastes like a grape why not simply buy a grape?
I bought some wine flavoured chocolate the other day that tasted nothing like wine but tasted strongly like concentrated grape juice.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I like Cherry Coke but can never find it. I like Dr Pepper too, which is like fizzy marzipan. But I only have one fizzy drink a week, otherwise I drink coffee and fruit juice. Grape juice is unbelievably sweet anyway, don't know why you need to add it to carbonated sugar water.
I believe grape juice is used instead of straight sugar in 'healthy' fizzy drinks like those sold by pret a manger.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I bought some wine flavoured chocolate the other day that tasted nothing like wine but tasted strongly like concentrated grape juice.
Is that a surprise though? Something wrong with chocolate flavoured chocolate?

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Curiously. in my head blackjacks were liquorice flavour. Which I hate. But right there is says aniseed flavour. Hmm. but i also hate aniseed.

According to wiki

Liquorice flavour is found in a wide variety of candies or sweets. In most of these candies, the taste is reinforced by aniseed oil so the actual content of liquorice is very low.
yet

It is not botanically related to anise, star anise, or fennel, which are sources of similar flavouring compounds ]
all of which are on my Nope list.

Much of the sweetness in liquorice comes from glycyrrhizin, which has a sweet taste, 30–50 times the sweetness of sugar. The sweetness is very different from sugar, being less instant, tart, and lasting longer.
doesn't taste at all sweet to me.

The liquorice plant is a herbaceous perennial legume
a legume! who knew! (probably everyone but me).

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I've tried some of that fake meat aimed at vegetarians. While it tastes good, it doesn't taste like meat.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Curiously we almost never have 'grape' flavoured foods or drink in the UK. I always used to think such a thing would be 'wine' flavoured (grapes/wine).
otoh we have a lot of blackcurrant flavour. Apparently growing blackcurrants in USA in banned! yet you can hardly ever buy blackcurrants as a fruit here, so no-one really knows what they taste like, only the 'flavour'.
I think they had an inside the factory thing. They all get Ribenaed, so they do actually have the fruit in it.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I think they had an inside the factory thing. They all get Ribenaed, so they do actually have the fruit in it.
iirc from that programme something like 90% of blackcurrants grown in the uk go into ribena. But that doesn't mean we could grow more blackcurrant to buy by themselves. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! ;)

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
I've tried some of that fake meat aimed at vegetarians. While it tastes good, it doesn't taste like meat.
There's a Quorn Roast that is quite similar to turkey but generally, no, they don't taste like meat.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Fake bacon tastes like real bacon but you have to follow the cooking instructions and not be tempted to cook it as long as you would real bacon.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
Fake bacon tastes like real bacon but you have to follow the cooking instructions and not be tempted to cook it as long as you would real bacon.
I've had "baco bits":there was a (remarkably cheap) sandwich company that delivered to a place I used to work at many years ago, for some reason they only did chicken mayo sandwiches with "baco bits", after a few days of observing that that said bacon tasted funny a vegetarian colleague pointed out that they were actually veggie. Why the hell they put them in a meat sandwich I have no idea, I'd have preferred just chicken mayo.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I've had "baco bits":there was a (remarkably cheap) sandwich company that delivered to a place I used to work at many years ago, for some reason they only did chicken mayo sandwiches with "baco bits", after a few days of observing that that said bacon tasted funny a vegetarian colleague pointed out that they were actually veggie. Why the hell they put them in a meat sandwich I have no idea, I'd have preferred just chicken mayo.
Aren't bacon bits usually made from soya TVP with paprika flavouring? Plus they go soggy in a sandwich. Sounds grim.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
Reaction score
No idea, they tasted like bacon flavour crisps rather than actual bacon, which is not what I wanted in a sandwich, they wer ekind of soggy but were like tiny "sprinkles" so it wasn't immediately obvious that they weren't actual meat.