"Flavours" That Don't Taste Like The Actual Thing

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Prawn cocktail crisps. They don't taste like prawn cocktail.
I may have already said this.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Alternatively - is it Prawn Cocktail which doesn't taste like the crisps?

There are those that will make this argument, so thought I'd better flag it up if it hasn't been done so already.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Thanks for letting me know. I do have a habit of repeating myself.
Thanks for letting me know. I do have a habit of repeating myself.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Most spirits in the UK are "governed down" to 40% by volume. You can get the export strength though, around 45-50%, which is closer to what you get Stateside. It's not that stronger stuff is banned - you can get 75% rum or vodka relatively easily- but 40% is the standard pub and supermarket strength.
I've heard that Gordon's is 37.5% in the U.K., but tastes better than the Canadian-made 40% stuff we get in North America.

Actually, the standard in the U.S. for most hard liquor is also 40% these days, although some smaller brands are stronger and some - large and small - offer stronger alternatives. You can get Everclear grain alcohol in many places - that's essentially 190 proof (95%) vodka - and 96% Polish spirytus (essentially the same thing) is not impossible to find. Obviously these are not meant to be ingested undiluted. Apparently 97.2% by volume is the theoretical limit.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I fear we're drifting far afield of topic here, but...

North American Gordon's is more than sufficient for my gin and tonics. For martinis I prefer Bombay Sapphire, which I first tasted at a Tom Jones concert in Las Vegas. (Now that's the place to discover a new booze!) I think Sapphire has a certain attachment to Las Vegas because of former mayor Oscar Goodman, who was an outspoken fan of the stuff.

If I decide to go James Bond and have a Vesper, I try to simulate the taste of the 1950's original with Gordon's, spirytus instead of vodka (to raise the alcohol content) and Cocchi Americano instead of Lillet (for the extra quinine). I adjust the proportions to try and hit a period accurate alcohol level. I usually take a nap afterwards.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I fear we're drifting far afield of topic here, but...
Not a problem, I'm happy with it :) .
Then let me drift a little more. Thinking of martinis and Vegas and James Bond makes me think of my first trip to Vegas - excluding a quick overnight trip to meet up with some online friends - in the early 2000s. The jet lag was making my companion (now my wife) sleepy, but I was feeling quite the opposite. I wandered over to the MGM Grand to play the slots for a while.

A DJ was on the floor, playing music for a couple of go-go dancers in cages. (I think this was to promote the Studio 54 disco that was on the premises.) To one side was a glass enclosure that earlier that day held live African lions. I was gambling happily as scantily-clad women brought me free drinks. And suddenly I thought back to my childhood in the 1960s, when Bond and Playboy magazine were big parts of pop culture. And I thought "this is what I assumed being an adult was all about!"