• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fleeing Burglar 'Jumps' Twelve-Foot Wall - Twice

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm not sure if this is a remarkable Fortean tidbit or a simple misunderstanding based on how a police report was phrased ...
Startling display of acrobatics in Silver Spring as officers pursue burglary suspect

A man being pursued in Montgomery County last weekend came to a wall. It was about 12 feet high, but the man “jumped it,” according to county police. However, more officers were on the other side.

So, according to police, the man jumped back over the wall.

The startling display of acrobatics came Oct. 19, according to police, after homeowners in the 700 block of Pershing Drive in Silver Spring were wakened about 2:15 a.m. by the sound of a door. They checked, and encountered a man who assaulted them and fled, police said.

An officer and a dog tracked a man to the rear of a house on nearby Ellsworth Heights Street, police said. After the man jumped back over the wall, police said, it was the officer with the dog who finally made an arrest.

Police said they found that there had also been a burglary at a home on Ellsworth Heights Street. They said the man they had chased happened to be wearing a coat taken from that home.

They said Steven Anderson, 56, of Royal Crown Drive in Germantown, was charged with two counts of burglary and two of second-degree assault.

Precise details of the structure and composition of the wall could not be immediately learned, and it remained unclear how it was climbed.In a statement, police said a man “jumped over an approximately 12-foot wall,” but did not address such questions as whether it offered handholds or footholds.

With the world high-jump record at eight feet and one- half inch it is unlikely that the wall was cleared in a single bound. However, “jumped” is often used as a colloquial description for going over a fence. And it is possible that someone climbing a fence may jump to the ground from the top. ...

SOURCE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...866df2-f840-11e9-8cf0-4cc99f74d127_story.html

SEE ALSO: https://www.apnews.com/c95f96ac40b846ef9b937684b5d8beda

It could be that he ran up the wall and over, rather than jumped.

It is truly amazing what a human can do when in a flight mode with the adrenaline rushing, think about people who can lift cars when their children are in them

Ever watched talented proponents of parkour (aka freerunning)?
Watch the guy around the 48s mark in the following video. The structure he grabs hold of must be close to 12ft up the wall:

Last edited:
Watch the guy around the 48s mark in the following video. The structure he grabs hold of must be close to 12ft up the wall:

Those guys are young & fit. The man in question is 56. I suspect the word 'jumped' should really be 'climbed'.

So he would have needed a block and tackle to get up the wall ?

Yep, that's what I mean by running up the wall.

Back