• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fleeting sighting of a fairy?

Umm, I wasn't taking notes... you could Listen Again?

Fairies exist, no doubts in my mind, I have seen them, but they do not look like the romanticised Victorian images of fairies which we see all around us today on greetings cards, kids toys etc. i.e pretty little things with wings.

Yes, I certainly will.

I was just wondering whether the program, or indeed the discussion to date (in which many questions have been asked), had raised in you any kind of opinion, position or idea. Or whether you had any answers. Or different questions.

Oh. I see what you mean. Well the programme was a kind of exploration of the history of fairies in literature and folklore, certainly didn't explore the phenomenon itself. What I took away from it was a sense of the universality of the fairy through history and culture (ancient persia for eg)

I was only throwing it in as people who are interested in the subject would probably be reading this thread and might be interested in listening to the program.

As for where I stand I don't have a position on the subject: i'd say i'm open-minded. If that's ok with you.

Open minded is good.

To be blunt, I was trying to work out whether you'd just turned up to either troll or lightly flame the Duck but had the feeling I'd misread your intentions and didn't really want to say anything to that effect because I have a habit of being wrong about that sort of thing.

There. That was awkward. Moving on...

elffriend said:
Fairies exist, no doubts in my mind, I have seen them, but they do not look like the romanticised Victorian images of fairies which we see all around us today on greetings cards, kids toys etc. i.e pretty little things with wings.

I'd like to hear about that. Have you told your story on these boards already somewhere? What did you see?

Well I can't remember if I posted it or not. I have little 'people' living in my house. All I have seen are shadows of small things moving very quickly froom to room, and hearing them rummaging about in cupboards. But they appear to me to be just small humans, no wings, or gossamer and are very mischevious, moving objects, hiding things etc. I just accept that they are there and leave them to it.

Interesting. Now, I don't believe in faeries per se. However, am always interested in stories - and would love, as with any phenomena, to see some evidence and be proved wrong. While I don't dispute that elffriend knows what she saw; I had a similar experience (without catching sight of definable shadows)...mine had a more mundane ending for me...but a slightly stranger ending for my bro.

We lived in a big victorian house in London - and as teens, whether through too much reading of magick, strangeness etc, teen hormones or whathave you, had a number of strange, and even to this day (damn) inexplicable events. However, I remember one time when some food went missing and had seen shadows moving. Long story short - bloody mice...the useless cat couldn't catch them (pretty and loving though it was)..or perhaps the mice were of a Jerry Mouse extraction. So, for me, mystery solved. However, just after this event, my bro claimed he woke and screamed...he saw a small manikenesque figure with a grossly misproportioned head (no not me) that just vanished in front of his eyes. Now my view is hypnopompic/gogic state. However, another view could be that it was a manifestation. Am hoping that there will be some video evidence one day to pump up the debate (this goes for all strangeness)
BTW had to get a contractor in to get rid of the mice.

Interesting further thought. I am half Norwegian. Norwegian faery stories are very dark. They haven't been (or weren't anyway) sanitised to protect the poor mites. Anyhoo, there is a species of woodland sprite they call Nisse: spindly legged, long bearded, large head. You have to (really) leave milk or something for them when in the country (lots of norgies have country cottages or know someone that has). Also, must confess that Norwegian forests are pretty mystical looking places and often there are boulders and rocks that genuinely look like a troll has been caught in sun light. I also confess, that when in those forests I get a more mystical frame of mind and my scientific belief erodes as darkness encroaches and strange sounds start to close in...

Oh well, back to the thread :D

elffriend said:
But they appear to me to be just small humans, no wings, or gossamer and are very mischevious, moving objects, hiding things etc.

Sounds like you've got Boggarts.

Has anyone else ever seen them?

GadaffiDuck said:
You have to (really) leave milk or something for them when in the country (lots of norgies have country cottages or know someone that has)

This is also something common to most parts of the UK. You leave a little something out - and exactly where it's placed seems to vary by region - to placate the Fair Folk...or else. Demanding Milk with Menaces.

This appears to not be so common in the US, although there are regional communities where some stories have carried over, and I have no idea whether the Native Americans have a similar collection of stories/beliefs/critters. There's not much opportunity to ask, either, since the folks local to my area are rather close-mouthed on what they do and don't believe.

edit: removed rogue y from the end of a word, left bread and milk for the rogue Y faerie.

As a small child I saw something I took to be a brownie & can still distinctly remember what I saw -- a 5-inch high figure, very dark brown all over, bent over doing a strange little hirky jerky dance on the windowsill on a cold winter night. The dance involved lots of jumping and turning somersaults in a sort of chaotic rhythmless jig. I knew it was a real brownie in spite of the fact that it didn't look anything like the so-called brownies, dressed in little brown people clothes, in my storybook. The brownie I saw seemed to have clothes, but very strange, tattered things. Of course, as usual, when I told my Dad, he said it was my imgination. Drat. :roll:

Back