• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flinging Things About

Seasidepagan

Junior Acolyte
I will try to make this account as succinct as I can. All of it is absolutely true and as I describe it. My daughter and her partner, and his two daughters (11 and 13) who come to stay at weekends (could be a significant factor) and their new baby all live in a 1900s house opposite a park on a dark, quiet road off the main drag. When they moved in the house struck us all as being light, airy and having a really welcoming vibe.

They were glad to move from their previously oppressive and spooky bungalow where they had had a couple of strange experiences. These are worth mentioning here because they might be relevant to the events that have occurred in the house they are in now. A few strange things happened in the bungalow including three loud knocks on the old wooden front door, in the middle of the night, which wouldn’t have been unusual except that this front door was located inside a porch in which there was another locked door. In other words no one could have gained access to the wooden front door as the porch door was locked. This happened three times and on the last occasion I heard it loud and clear. In that bungalow there was a clear divide between the right hand side of the bungalow and the left, the left being damp, dark and freezing cold and the right being warm, sunny and bright.

One day my daughter aged 24 (an intelligent and rational young woman) was in the bungalow alone and rang us hysterically saying that someone was in the house with her; she had heard them come in and the dogs had gone mad barking at the lounge door, she had heard someone walk up the corridor and stop outside the lounge door. She was hysterical and ran out of the house into the garden to call the police. We talked her into going back in to the house to check and bravely she did, no one was there and the front door was shut. We all decided that ‘someone’ who had lived there before was just living their (ghostly) life there and didn’t mean any of us any harm. So when they moved out of there they were pleased to have a fresh start.

Everything was fine in the new house to begin with. One day my son in law came home from work to find their wedding savings pot (heavy clay) smashed on the floor and all the money out of it onto the floor. This wouldn’t have been strange except that from where it had been on a solid shelf attached to the wall, it hadn’t just fallen off, it was across the other side of the room. We all chatted it through and agreed it was odd but maybe it was because they are end of terrace and something had rumbled passed their house and jiggled the shelf and made it fall. But still we all thought this was odd as surely it would have dropped straight down on to the floor and not landed across the room? It could t have rolled as it was a strange shape. And as my son in law was trying to rationalise the event he couldn’t budge the shelf even a tiny bit it is solid on the wall. Anyway as you do you rationalise it and move on.

About a week later their friend (big 6ft 3 fellow) told them that he wasn’t going to sleep round there any more (he sometimes stays to tea and sleeps over) as in the night he heard odd noises in the lounge near the shelf the pot had come from and felt someone touch his arm. He got up and left for home at 2am.

Then a bizarre set of occurrences happened involving their Moroccan style canvas on the lounge wall (same wall as the shelves in the dining room with the wedding pot). Basically the canvas has come off the wall three times each time coming off the wall, turning and ending up propped up on the coffee table and facing the mantelpiece that it hangs from. Twice unseen and once my daughter saw it out of the corner of her eye. Now as we always do, we talked it through and tried to rationalise this, and as the canvas was stuck on the wall with double sided tape maybe the tape had just failed. After the second time of it falling off my son in law banged a nail in the wall and hung it on the nail.

The first two times they found it propped against the coffee table turned round to face the mantelpiece, the oil burner smashed near it. The third time my daughter had had a baby about 4 weeks before and noticed the baby was staring intently at the canvas, she moved his little bouncy chair and he literally was craning his neck round to look at the canvas. She walked to the dining room and my daughter saw out of the corner of her eye as the canvas literally came off, turned and landed by the table. There was a loud whooshing noise as this happened. The baby started to scream and cry inconsolably. In addition to the canvas being knocked/ moved (?) on the mantelpiece on two occasions there was an oil burner that got knocked off (we bought replacements) and the broken china pieces from the oil burners were discovered in random places up to 10 feet from the landing /smash site. One chunk was found wedged down the side of the sofa about 4 feet away.

The last occasion when my daughter saw it out of the corner of her eye was after it had been out on the nail. My daughter had wound fairy lights round candle sticks on the mantelpiece and the fairy lights ended up hanging across the front of the mantelpiece and not wound round the candle sticks.

Now obviously we set about trying to rationalise this set of events that took place over about 6 weeks. We wondered whether the old residents didn’t like the oil burner? The smell? The candle? This didn’t answer the fairy lights though. We tried to shake the shelves and knock the wall from the outside with no effect. Then they had extensive work done on the outside wall including taking all the plaster off the wall and replastering with heavy machinery involved, and yet literally NOTHING moved even a millimetre! One last thing that happened was that one night when my daughter was feeding the baby at night up in his little bedroom, on the landing outside his room the thermostat covering literally came flying off the wall and ended up right down the landing about 8 feet away.

So one night we sat quietly (I visit once a week and help with the baby) and spoke to whatever it was that making all this drama and asked it to leave. We had a window open and sat quietly for an hour. This was about 4 weeks ago and there has been no occurrences of anything since. The only thing that happens now is the baby randomly Starts to smile and laugh at thin air. Although this is odd we think he is practising smiling snd laughing.

Any ideas?

I will try to make this account as succinct as I can. All of it is absolutely true and as I describe it. My daughter and her partner, and his two daughters (11 and 13) who come to stay at weekends (could be a significant factor) and their new baby all live in a 1900s house opposite a park on a dark, quiet road off the main drag. When they moved in the house struck us all as being light, airy and having a really
welcoming vibe.
They were glad to move from their previously oppressive and spooky bungalow where they had had a couple of strange experiences. These are worth mentioning here because they might be relevant to the events that have occurred in the house they are in now. A few strange things happened in the bungalow including three loud knocks on the old wooden front door, in the middle of the night, which wouldn’t have been unusual except that this front door was located inside a porch in which there was another locked door. In other words no one could have gained access to the wooden front door as the porch door was locked . This happened three times and on the last occasion I heard it loud and clear. In that bungalow there was a clear divide between the right hand side of the bungalow and the left, the left being damp, dark and freezing cold and the right being warm, sunny and bright. One day my daughter aged 24 (an intelligent and rational young woman) was in the bungalow alone and rang us hysterically saying that someone was in the house with her; she had heard them come in and the dogs had gone mad barking at the lounge door, she had heard someone walk up the corridor and stop outside the lounge door. She was hysterical and ran out of the house into the garden to call the police. We talked her into going back in to the house to check and bravely she did, no one was there and the front door was shut. We all decided that ‘someone’ who had lived there before was just living their (ghostly) life there and didn’t mean any of us any harm.
So when they moved out of there they were pleased to have a fresh start.
Everything was fine in the new house to begin with. One day my son in law came home from work to find their wedding savings pot (heavy clay) smashed on the floor and all the money out of it onto the floor. This wouldn’t have been strange except that from where it had been on a solid shelf attached to the wall, it hadn’t just fallen off, it was across the other side of the room. We all chatted it through and agreed it was odd but maybe it was because they are end of terrace and something had rumbled passed their house and jiggled the shelf and made it fall. But still we all thought this was odd as surely it would have dropped straight down on to the floor and not landed across the room? It could t have rolled as it was a strange shape. And as my son in law was trying to rationalise the event he couldn’t budge the shelf even a tiny bit it is solid on the wall. Anyway as you do you rationalise it and move on.
About a week later their friend (big 6ft 3 fellow) told them that he wasn’t going to sleep round there any more (he sometimes stays to tea and sleeps over) as in the night he heard odd noises in the lounge near the shelf the pot had come
from and felt someone touch his arm. He got up and left for home at 2am.
Then a bizarre set of occurrences happened involving their Moroccan style canvas on the lounge wall (same wall as the shelves in the dining room with the wedding pot). Basically the canvas has come off the wall three times each time coming off the wall, turning and ending up propped up on the coffee table and facing the mantelpiece that it hangs from. Twice unseen and once my daughter saw it out of the corner of her eye. Now as we always do, we talked it through and tried to rationalise this, and as the canvas was stuck on the wall with double sided tape maybe the tape had just failed. After the second time of it falling off my son in law banged a nail in the wall and hung it on the nail.
The first two times they found it propped against the coffee table turned round to face the mantelpiece, the oil burner smashed near it. The third time my daughter had had a baby about 4 weeks before and noticed the baby was staring intently at the canvas, she moved his little bouncy chair and he literally was craning his neck round to look at the canvas. She walked to the dining room and my daughter saw out of the corner of her eye as the canvas literally came off, turned and landed by the table. There was a loud whooshing noise as this happened. The baby started to scream and cry inconsolably. In addition to the canvas being knocked/ moved (?) on the mantelpiece on two occasions there was an oil burner that got knocked off (we bought replacements) and the broken china pieces from the oil burners were discovered in random places up to 10 feet from the landing /smash site. One chunk was found wedged down the side of the sofa about 4 feet away. The last occasion when my daughter saw it out of the corner of her eye was after it had been out on the nail. My daughter had wound fairy lights round candle sticks on the mantelpiece and the fairy lights ended up hanging across the front of the mantelpiece and not wound round the candle sticks.
Now obviously we set about trying to rationalise this set of events that took place over about 6 weeks. We wondered whether the old residents didn’t like the oil burner? The smell? The candle? This didn’t answer the fairy lights though. We tried to shake the shelves and knock the wall from the outside with no effect. Then they had extensive work done on the outside wall including taking all the plaster off the wall and replastering with heavy machinery involved, and yet literally NOTHING moved even a millimetre! One last thing that happened was that one night when my daughter was feeding the baby at night up in his little bedroom, on the landing outside his room the thermostat covering literally came flying off the wall and ended up right down the landing about 8 feet away.
So one night we sat quietly (I visit once a week and help with the baby) and spoke to whatever it was that making all this drama and asked it to leave. We had a window open and sat quietly for an hour. This was about 4 weeks ago and there has been no occurrences of anything since. The only thing that happens now is the baby randomly Starts to smile and laugh at thin air. Although this is odd we think he is practising smiling snd laughing . Any ideas?
Really interesting post ty

Reactions: Ger
Good post, thank you sharing.

I would ask about the liminality of everyone involved lives. Are things stable with everyone? Emotionally? Has anyone been through a major lifechange? Or has one upcoming?

What is changing and for who?

Good post, thank you sharing.

I would ask about the liminality of everyone involved lives. Are things stable with everyone? Emotionally? Has anyone been through a major lifechange? Or has one upcoming?

What is changing and for who?
Well my daughter has had her baby (3 months) but it did start way before him being born. We have the feeling that my daughter is the focus but obviously we don’t know that. It does seem to have stopped now we have asked it to leave and opened the window. Thank you for taking the time to reply

This is a really fascinating account, thank you for sharing it, Seasidepagan!

After we had all literally decided that what ever it was had left as per our invitation, last night my daughter, the baby and I were at her house when my husband face timed us. He was at our house and had heard a large bang from upstairs, had gone up to the bedroom we share and a large picture that we have over our mantelpiece had come down (it had been there five years , no window was open) and was laying upside down and leaning against the end of our bed. Just like my daughters Moroccan canvas had done. He is not one to play tricks on me (married 26 years and has never played a trick on me). My daughter and I were perturbed and unnerved, my husband said he couldnt find a rational reason how it could have happened. We came off the face time call and were discussing it as we ran a bath for the baby. As I stood there the bar of soap on the edge of the bath literally crashed to the floor so loudly we jumped and with such force that it bounced right under the bath. Once I had retrieved it I showed my daughter that it was bone dry, as was the edge of the bath and we popped it back on the bath and tried to bang the bath to shift the soap but it didn’t move at all. Unnerved some more we bathed the baby and took him downstairs to dress and have a bottle. We dimmed the central light to settle him and sat down. The light started to get brighter and brighter and dimmer and dimmer, it’s never ever happened before. As we said to each ‘oh my god look!’ We both experienced the most ice cold feeling up our legs and arms. Not a small draft, an icy cold creeping chill. My daughters eyes started to water and she said she was going to be sick. We were so scared but we decided to sit and calm down and talk about something pleasant ( plans for the babies birthday). The icy chill dissipated and the light stabilised. We definitely think that there is a presence nice trying to communicate something to us. The thing is we don’t want to hear it!

Don't talk to it, these things seem to feed on attention. I have found ignoring all odd happenings to be the best approach. This seem to be the case in your experience too as the atmosphere normalised after you began to talk normally and calmly.

I have not posted about my haunting publicly because I still live in the house where it began and continues to the present day, so generally I do not talk about it. But ignoring the odd events seems to reduce the poltergeist activity. Easier said than done, I know.

Don't talk to it, these things seem to feed on attention. I have found ignoring all odd happenings to be the best approach. This seem to be the case in your experience too as the atmosphere normalised after you began to talk normally and calmly.

I have not posted about my haunting publicly because I still live in the house where it began and continues to the present day, so generally I do not talk about it. But ignoring the odd events seems to reduce the poltergeist activity. Easier said than done, I know.
That’s interesting - do the incidents actually lessen or is it just that you try to ignore them so they seem to?

In my experience over about 25 years in my house, it has hugely reduced after we started very deliberately ignoring all and any strange phenomena (anything occurring inside or the house, garden and close by). We still experience some strange things from time to time but when I first moved into this house it was really alarming. I didn't intend to hijack this thread, I do intend to write up my experience probably on the "Unhappy houses" thread at some point. My partner and I are intending to move in the next few years so it'll be some time after that I can finally write about it.

I've often read about other people's experiences with poltergeist activity and normally accounts are in the past tense, here I really felt that I should say something about what has worked for me because Seasidepagan is experiencing something currently ongoing and I know unfortunately from first hand experience how alarming and concerning it can be.

I have not posted about my haunting publicly because I still live in the house where it began and continues to the present day, so generally I do not talk about it. But ignoring the odd events seems to reduce the poltergeist activity. Easier said than done,

Thankyou yes good advice and I do get the impression that ‘it’ feeds on our fear, getting stronger and more pervasive in a way.

In my experience over about 25 years in my house, it has hugely reduced after we started very deliberately ignoring all and any strange phenomena (anything occurring inside or the house, garden and close by). We still experience some strange things from time to time but when I first moved into this house it was really alarming. I didn't intend to hijack this thread, I do intend to write up my experience probably on the "Unhappy houses" thread at some point. My partner and I are intending to move in the next few years so it'll be some time after that I can finally write about it.

I've often read about other people's experiences with poltergeist activity and normally accounts are in the past tense, here I really felt that I should say something about what has worked for me because Seasidepagan is experiencing something currently ongoing and I know unfortunately from first hand experience how alarming and concerning it can be.
As I say in my other reply Thankyou, and Thankyou for believing me. It’s not like in the films where we shout at the tv ‘get out of the house and never go back!’ When it’s your home (or your daughters) and it’s happening intermittently and you’re trying to find answers, you just live your life. When I was a child we had so many things going on (somethings I’ve posted here and others will follow) and my husband and son in law say that when my daughter and I get together we seem to ‘attract’ something. We are two powerful strong women so maybe that’s so. Thankyou again and once you have moved I look forward to reading your account. We won’t talk to it or pay it any attention from now on.

Back