• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Floating Downstairs / Floating Down Stairs

When I was younger I always had flying dreams and I've had a lot of psychic types of experiences. Neither of my sisters had the flying dreams and they just stare if I ever recount any experiences. All my children had those dreams and have some psychic ability and the youngest grand daughter has them as well. She's the one who was talking about my husband's mother who died before she was born.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Used to be an avid floater when I was a kid. Started by gently gliding down the stairs, then when I became more proficient I would repeatedly rush down the stairs at a tremendous speed, colliding with the floor at the bottom. It was my favourite nocturnal pastime as a kid! I also have faint memories of floating around my house, but the rush of floating down the stairs was the best.

These experiences were so lifelike that it got to the point that I believed I could float whilst still awake. I had a feeling that the ability to float was simply a matter of faith but no mater what I couldn’t do it whilst awake… Had this feeling right up until my early teens.

Had lots of weird memories of my staircase at home – used to spend a lot of my time playing on them. Would sometimes sense some kind of vortex at the top of the landing – like the air had become warped and was swirling and a benign presence watching over me. Weird!!!

I have another memory where I was playing with my action man on the banister and looked through the railings into my room across the landing to see lots of everyday objects floating off of my bedside table on to the floor. This is still a very vivid memory and I’m convinced that this really happened.

However, my younger brother was petrified of those stairs; apparently he remembers seeing lots of dismembered hands gliding up and down…. Spooky!

The house was a normal modern semidetached (1970’s), and in no way could be described as haunted. However I remember lots of paranormal type of things happening. I am certain these things revolved around my brother and me and not the house.

Reading this it just struck me - I wonder if the feeling of floating down the stairs has anything to do with being carried around as a baby?
My son's nearly six-month-old and when I carry him up or down the stairs he seems to enjoy it, and I can imagine it must feel to him that he's floating about, so maybe we remember the feeling in our dreams?
Just a thought ... :?

Unbelievable. I've read through this thread and it's just brought everything back.

When I was small I used to do this all the time. And I'm sure not only at night, something had to be 'right' but I remember just gently going down, watching every step under my feet, this kind of rushing feeling/noise in my head as I went, this really strange feeling that was so exciting. It was a confidence, thing, for as long as I believed I could do it, I could. It was so easy, you'd just step off and down you go, no crunch at the bottom, so perfectly in control all the way.

In the earlier days I was somewhere between thinking it was something so normal I didn't have to think about and being a bit worried, like I couldn't rationalise it in my head so I used to agonise about telling my mum about it. I think eventually I did but I didn't get an answer/the answer I wanted so it still concerned me a bit.

As I got older it became less regular until it was like I never could - despite still vividly remembering what I could do I just knew that if I tried to do it I'd fall. Confidence thing I guess. But it was gone.

I'm 100% certain it wasn't a dream, I was conscious and it happened.

Creepy it happens to so many people, i remember when i used to live in an old farm house i used to have floating/flying dreams, in them i would go down the back set of stairs we had in the house (we had two sets, main one and a small set which were steep.) Each time this happened i would float at some speed down these steps, and out the front door and alittle way up the lane we used to access the house.

What used to get me was, i had the feeling i was being chased each time, i really cant explain what it was as i never looked back, i just seemed to know that if this "thing" caught me then something bad would happen.

A few times after this happened i had the feeling of being "dropped" back into my bed as if i had fallen from a great hight. It felt strange as i could feel my head hitting the pillow and my body hitting the mattress, yet when i woke up my bedding would be tucked in.

Actually, I've also had the experience of floating downstairs as a child. I remember once trying and not succeeding after previously thinking I had been able to do it. Banged up enough for a bloody nose, I recall.

Tangent7 it is a bit of a shock isn't it? On a swing at the highest arc I too thought I could float and let go of the ropes. My Father, rushing to pick me up asked me if I had thought I could fly, to which I replied that I used to be able to do it.

vivid but weird floating dream

I was very young when i had this dream but it was a very regular occurence..there were two flights of stairs in our house and you had to turn a corner on to the bottom flight. When i floated down the stairs i was always sitting on a chair(an ordinary dinner table one) i was always upright and stable. I always remember fearing falling from the chair as it gently glided down to the bottom although in different dreams i was at different stages of floating ie sometimes i would be at the top of the stairs and the chair would just take off or i would be half the way down. Thank goodness other people share floating dreams as this has always stayed with me!!!!

garethmackie said:
Reading this it just struck me - I wonder if the feeling of floating down the stairs has anything to do with being carried around as a baby?

That's a very interesting idea and would account for the point of view in these dreams, too.

:)

Re: vivid but weird floating dream

cookemeister said:
I was very young when i had this dream but it was a very regular occurence.. [snip] When i floated down the stairs i was always sitting on a chair [snip]

Are you sure you didn't just dream that you were Thora Hird?

Yeah Thora Hird!! LOL now why didn't I think of that one...nice one Creamster

I've been having the float/fly dreams a lot this year. I get up a bit of a gallop and then leap off for a prolonged glide 1 or 2 metres above the ground. It is a great way to wake up ~ after a glide.

Smooth sailing, everybody :mrgreen:
skinny

Tangent7 said:
Actually, I've also had the experience of floating downstairs as a child. I remember once trying and not succeeding after previously thinking I had been able to do it.

I had only a few flying dreams as a child. Frustratingly enough they would always occur just before waking up, so I could never enjoy them long enough. I remember trying to stay in the dream while knowing that I was awake already.

On the other hand - at age 5-6 I experimented with improvised parachutes while jumping off the stairs. But the biggest pieces of textile that I could get hold of were towels. So I didn't see much braking effect. But no accidents happened either.

In dreams as a child, I used to float at high speeds to get away from monsters. I recall floating through a huge, old mansion and its wood-panelled corridors and a path through a forest, I just lifted my feet up and away I went. My last floating dreams wore off years ago, however.

Wow - just joined this forum and this is my first post.....

This has literally blown me away. I had so many flying downstairs dreams when I was young (3-4?) that I couldn't tell if they were dreams or reality. I remember telling my mother that I could fly down the stairs and her looking at me strange. And also something about floating out the front door window.

In adult life I've only ever had two similar dreams... both felt like what people would call 'astral projection'. The latter one happened last week in fact (coincidentally?) when me and my dogs had left lots of valuable equipment unguarded at my home as we went to visit my fathers for the night. That night i dreamt? that I went back to make sure it was all OK.

The human mind really is a wonderful thing. What can it all mean?

The Middleman

I remember as a child, having a dream of flying down the cellar stairs at my Grandma's house and seeing a strange old lady down there. It was quite vivid.

Only had one slightly similar dream in recent years. I was driving a juggernaut/tanker type-thing and swerved to a halt at the top of an orange cliff, like the Arizona desert (I think). I lept out of the door and almost glided my way down, landed on my feet at the bottom and celebrated the fact that I'd discovered this newfound ability. It was fun!

I used to jump down the stairs a lot as a child. Forever flinging myself down them (not in any suicidal way, you understand). As I got older, this progressed to me climbing the highest trees and walls I could find and jumping off them, with no thought of personal safety (and I never broke a single bone doing this. I'm a terrible example to younger chidren.) But it all started with jumping down the stairs, when I was about three. I've no idea why I did this, but maybe I had the 'floating down the stairs' dream and was trying to recapture it?

Either that, or I was a parachutist in a previous life.. :roll:

ufonerd said:
I used to get this dream a lot were I could float down the stairs I thought it was only me and it is strange for people do have very similar dreams as me.?

I have had this but in dreams btu in real life too! I was at the middle of the stairs and I lietrally floated down to teh bottom,.

I had this game where I would get onto first step jump down, run up to second step, jump down and see what the "record" could be- I thought I would be on Record Breakers- I was about 6 btw!!! :oops:

I got to the 7th? step, my staircase had 13 steps so it was about middle, I jumperd but I seemed to float slowly from the step to the bottom (??)

Interesting to see that though a lot of people remember floating down the stairs, most remember them as dreams and only a few of us (me included) are totally convinced that it wasn't a dream at all but very real.

I'll admit because it's such a long time ago it could have been a dream, but that's not the way I remember it at all. I remember when I was young I was a bit of a scaredy cat, I used to need reassurance that my parents were still downstairs when I was settling down for bed. I remember floating was a way to get to the door and listen for voices without being heard. I distinctly remember standing listening at the door, realising everything was OK and then on the way back up because I couldn't float up as well as down, I did have to creep very quietly.

I remember standing at the top of the stairs, focussing on the bottom and just stepping off, no feat at all, and gently floating to the bottom. I remember the excitement when I discovered I could do it in the daylight as well as the dark, focussing on the little wheeled shopping basket at the bottom and floating down. In fact doing it in the day it felt even easier and at times I remember getting worried because I was getting a bit high. Too much energy or something.

It's not something I'd usually mention now because it makes me sound like a nutter. But even if they were dreams, they were vivid and real enough to convince me now all these years on, that it was something that really happened.

Interesting story here about childhood flying. Unlike the experiences described by most of the posters in this thread, this person's experiences centered around the fireplace, not the staircase.

I used to float down the stairs at around the age of three or four. i remember it as being both a dream and being real- or perhaps a dream like state whilst being awake. It is amazing to read that so many other people experienced this too. I wonder what a child psychologist would have to say about this?

I remember, I would step off the top of the stairs and then float, seemingly in slow motion... i can't remember whether i'd land on my feet or not, but i'd always be safe. Strange.

You lot have made me feel very guilty.

My sister told me that she used to do this floating thing when she was a child and I teased her unmercifully about it. Now she's an award-winning TV-appearing scientist I dare not raise the question with her, but hey, could I have been wrong all along?

There is a special state of mind where time seems to go much more slowly - people who do martial arts have a special name for it (can't remember what). A friend of mine said he used to get into it sometimes (he did karate) and once it enabled him to make a spectacular, impossible-seeming save at football because it gave him lots more time to see where the ball was going and move. His father also experienced this state, but it got less frequent as he became older. Some people experience it, but only in emergencies like car accidents.

Maybe for small children. going into this state while jumping off several stairs might explain the floating feeling? Obviously, it couldn't explain a whole staircase though.

plusk said:
You lot have made me feel very guilty.

My sister told me that she used to do this floating thing when she was a child and I teased her unmercifully about it. Now she's an award-winning TV-appearing scientist I dare not raise the question with her, but hey, could I have been wrong all along?

Ooh - you can't say things like that - we need names! Top of my head - Kathy Sykes?

Gordon

Aarauer said:
There is a special state of mind where time seems to go much more slowly - people who do martial arts have a special name for it (can't remember what). A friend of mine said he used to get into it sometimes (he did karate) and once it enabled him to make a spectacular, impossible-seeming save at football because it gave him lots more time to see where the ball was going and move. His father also experienced this state, but it got less frequent as he became older. Some people experience it, but only in emergencies like car accidents.

Maybe for small children. going into this state while jumping off several stairs might explain the floating feeling? Obviously, it couldn't explain a whole staircase though.

What an interesting and very possible explanation!
I'd like to hear more about time slowing down purposfully for martial arts.Its a new one to me.

I used to have the floating down the stairs dream when I was younger, I still remember one quite vividly I was about 12 or 13 at the time, and used to get up early for a paper round. We lived in a 3 story town house with 4 flights of stairs each with 6 or 7 steps. My room was on the top floor and my parents room was in the middle.
The dream started off with me getting up for the morning, and it was bright daylight in my room I walked down the stairs past my parents room, they were in bed and asleep, it was still bright daylight. As I went down the stairs instead of walking I was floating down, on going down the last flight to the ground floor it was pitch dark and I couldn't make out too much. On the last set of stairs instead of floating I fell and landed on my back looking up at the ceiling. I looked up and could see what I thought were angels or cherubs. They came floating down and were above me looking down into my face, I couldn't move though. They were smiling and then all of a sudden their faces twisted into deformed features, really nasty looking. they were chattering in a strange manner. At this point I woke up, quite distressed. I used to get the floating down the stairs dreams but never had this one again. The thing that struck me was how very real it was. Has anyone had a similar thing?

Only recurrent dream I had as a kid (except for those very abstract and unpleasant big/small thick/thin dreams discussed elsewhere - that I still sometimes get a flash of even now, and I think I relate somehow to my pillow) was of being in my bed, sat up but with my legs under the covers, and the bed was tumbling endlessly down the stairs, foot-first.

In hindsight it almost felt similar to driving a quadbike over rocky terrain. I had it loads as a kid, probably between the ages of 3 and 6/7?

Back