• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fluoride & Fluoridation In Our Water Supplies

The trouble is it really brings out the loons as well. Heres a thread from Indy which I posted some comments on. Full text and comments at link.

Poison in our water supply.
by Robert Long

Artficialy Flouridating water a peoples supply was first propsed in the Soviet gulags as way to induce a docile state and eventually kill of the prisoners it was then usedin Nazi concentration camps.
Its effects are extremly damaging and it is considered a medince under EU law.
Therefore the Irish government is practicing medicine without a license and without the consent of the Irish people at their expenense !
This is also a breach of our constitutional as well as human rights !
https://www.indymedia.ie/article/97937

When I was at school there were a series of studies showing fluoride could do serious damage at levels routinely used in water supplies. It can cause kidney damage, brain damage, cancer and - ironically - cause a thing called fluorosis that turns kids teeth permanenty a mottled brown.

The argument for using it is flawed at best. Some people even suggested at the time (as above) the real reason for doing it is the effect it has on the population IQ - creating a lot of nice docile drones to service the needs of industry. You gotta hope that ain't even slightly true. ;)

What about all the other stuff that's in our water ?
Liquified chlorine
Aluminium sulphate
Calcium hydroxide
Why no outcry about these ?

Ronson8 said:
Liquified chlorine
Aluminium sulphate
Calcium hydroxide

Reminds me of the fictional drink Brawndo in the film 'Idiocracy' - 'It's got what plants crave! It's got electrolytes'.
And look what happened to the population in that film. :)

:idea:
All the missing people, they're dissoliving in water thats really hdyro-flouric acid.

Ronson8 said:
Liquified chlorine
Aluminium sulphate
Calcium hydroxide

I have from time to time mildly wondered if something in the water accounts for the general barminess we see about these days :). After all, wasn't lead piping supposed to be part of the reason why the Roman emperors tended to be barking?

I think lead poisoning was the least of their problems - they drank heavily and used all kinds of weird drugs. That's quite enough to make them barking mad. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, it wasn't just lead piping; a lot of their food was cooked in lead containers...

Consider mass fluoridation of water, says health body
By Nick Triggle
Health correspondent, BBC News
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26729484

Studies on water fluoridation have produced contrasting results

Adding fluoride to water should be considered by councils in England to improve dental health, the government's public health advisory body says.

Public Health England urged councils to act after reviewing the impact of water fluoridation on children in areas where it has been introduced.

About 6m people - 10% of the country - currently live in areas with fluoridated water supplies.

PHE said it was a "safe and effective" public health measure.

Its review found it had reduced tooth decay and hospital admissions for dental problems.

In fluoridated areas, there were 45% fewer children aged one to four admitted to hospital.

Continue reading the main story
Fluoride and water

Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral found in water in varying amounts. It is also present in certain foods, such as fish and tea.

In the early 20th century, lower levels of tooth decay were found to be associated with certain fluoride levels in drinking water - it is thought to toughen the surface of the teeth.

This discovery lead to fluoride being added to toothpastes and the introduction of fluoridation schemes.

The first major scheme was in Birmingham in 1964. Since then parts of the north west, north east and Yorkshire and the Humber have followed suit as have large swathes of the Midlands.

Some areas - mainly the east coast - have naturally occurring high levels of fluoride in water.

Levels of general tooth decay were 15% lower for five-year-olds and 11% lower for 12-year-olds.

In deprived areas the impact for general tooth decay was even greater.

PHE also looked for signs of harms but found none. It has been suggested water fluoridation can increase the risk of some cancers, hip fractures and Downs syndrome.

Controversial
Sue Gregory, PHE's director of dental public health, said: "These findings highlight the important contribution that water fluoridation makes."

She said councils would need to consult their local populations on the issue and conceded there were some technical hurdles to overcome.

Water zones tend to span several local authority areas and so fluoridation could require agreement across regions.

England is one of the few countries in Europe that adds fluoride to water, although it is a more popular measures in places such as Australia and the US.

Birmingham was the first place to fluoridate water in the 1960s and since then other areas across the Midlands and in the north west, north east and Yorkshire and the Humber, have taken the step.

But it has proved controversial.

Attempts to add fluoride to the water supply in Hampshire in recent years have run into stiff opposition and even ended up in court with campaigners saying they were concerned about the health impacts.

But the health body proposing the scheme - the South Central Strategic Health Authority - was disbanded last year under the NHS reforms before it could enact the measure.

Fluordiation is an international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.

A flashback to the 70s:
Remember my school's dental nurse once (or was it twice) a month came to the class room with 24 plastic cups with fluoride. The pupils were supposed to drink it, but not swallow, and then "rotate" in our mouth so all parts of our teeths were reached by the fluoride. Then we spit it out into the cup again.

SameOldVardoger said:
A flashback to the 70s:
Remember my school's dental nurse once (or was it twice) a month came to the class room with 24 plastic cups with fluoride. The pupils were supposed to drink it, but not swallow, and then "rotate" in our mouth so all parts of our teeths were reached by the fluoride. Then we spit it out into the cup again.

Was it fluoride?
I remember the dentist making me use a special dye to reveal where all the plaque was, so I'd learn a lesson about mouth bacteria.

Mythopoeika said:
SameOldVardoger said:
A flashback to the 70s:

Was it fluoride?
I remember the dentist making me use a special dye to reveal where all the plaque was, so I'd learn a lesson about mouth bacteria.

It definetly was fluoride.

The limit on fluoride in drinking water in Norway is 1.5mg/Liter, while the limit in USA is 4mg/Liter.

A Harward study on fluoride and IQ in children:

Impact of fluoride on neurological development in children

in
Stumbleupon

Explore HSPH research by topic
HSPH Features

Water
John Briscoe wins ‘Nobel Prize of water’

Infectious diseases
MRSA spreads to the barnyard
Related Links

environmental health
child health

Harvard professor wins ‘Nobel Prize of water’
Cancer prevention: Flexible work environment, folate supplementation may be protective
Long-banned chemical found in yellow dyes
More on this topic

July 25, 2012 — For years health experts have been unable to agree on whether fluoride in the drinking water may be toxic to the developing human brain. Extremely high levels of fluoride are known to cause neurotoxicity in adults, and negative impacts on memory and learning have been reported in rodent studies, but little is known about the substance’s impact on children’s neurodevelopment. In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children. Based on the findings, the authors say that this risk should not be ignored, and that more research on fluoride’s impact on the developing brain is warranted.

The study was published online in Environmental Health Perspectives on July 20, 2012.

The researchers conducted a systematic review of studies, almost all of which are from China where risks from fluoride are well-established. Fluoride is a naturally occurring substance in groundwater, and exposures to the chemical are increased in some parts of China. Virtually no human studies in this field have been conducted in the U.S., said lead author Anna Choi, research scientist in the Department of Environmental Health at HSPH.

Even though many of the studies on children in China differed in many ways or were incomplete, the authors consider the data compilation and joint analysis an important first step in evaluating the potential risk. “For the first time we have been able to do a comprehensive meta-analysis that has the potential for helping us plan better studies. We want to make sure that cognitive development is considered as a possible target for fluoride toxicity,” Choi said.

Choi and senior author Philippe Grandjean, adjunct professor of environmental health at HSPH, and their colleagues collated the epidemiological studies of children exposed to fluoride from drinking water. The China National Knowledge Infrastructure database also was included to locate studies published in Chinese journals. They then analyzed possible associations with IQ measures in more than 8,000 children of school age; all but one study suggested that high fluoride content in water may negatively affect cognitive development.

The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.* Some studies suggested that even slightly increased fluoride exposure could be toxic to the brain. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas. The children studied were up to 14 years of age, but the investigators speculate that any toxic effect on brain development may have happened earlier, and that the brain may not be fully capable of compensating for the toxicity.

“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says. “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”

* This sentence was updated on September 5, 2012.

Read a September 2012 statement by the authors.

** Learn more about the IQ measurements by HSPH’s Anna L. Choi and Philippe Grandjean in response to a letter to the journal published in the March 2013 (Vol. 121, No. 3) Environmental Health Perspectives.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/featur ... jean-choi/

None of that in my drinking water - it comes straight off the hillside. Only the odd dead sheep to worry about.

If they add fluoride to our water, I will definitely be buying a special water filter...or I'll move abroad.

What are you all so afraid of? Here in the states we've had fluoridated water for decades and just look how sane and well balanced we are.
:madeyes: :madeyes: :madeyes: :madeyes: :madeyes:

You do put lots of stuff in the water over there. When I was staying in Fairfield CT the water tasted like soap. Didn't seem to do me any lasting harm though.

Cochise said:
You do put lots of stuff in the water over there. When I was staying in Fairfield CT the water tasted like soap. Didn't seem to do me any lasting harm though.
Water taste varies a lot in Britain too. It depends on the geology - it'll be 'hard' if it comes from chalk or limestone, 'soft' if it comes from granite.

Soap scum

The slippery feeling experienced when using soap with soft water occurs because soaps tend to bind to fats in the surface layers of skin, making soap molecules difficult to remove by simple dilution. In contrast, in hard-water areas the rinse water contains calcium or magnesium ions which form insoluble salts, effectively removing the residual soap from the skin but potentially leaving a coating of insoluble stearates on tub and shower surfaces, commonly called soap scum.[3]

Which of these effects is considered more or less desirable varies from person to person, and those who dislike the sliminess and difficulty of washing off soap caused by soft water may harden the water by adding chemicals such as baking soda, calcium chloride or magnesium sulphate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_water#Soap_scum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

What are you all so afraid of? Here in the states we've had fluoridated water for decades and just look how sane and well balanced we are.

yeah......

Mythopoeika said:
If they add fluoride to our water, I will definitely be buying a special water filter...or I'll move abroad.

eh?!?!?!?!
There's already a natural level of fluoride but they've been adding it for donkey's years.
You can do a check. Try googling fluoride check postcode and your area.

jimv1 said:
Mythopoeika said:

eh?!?!?!?!
There's already a natural level of fluoride but they've been adding it for donkey's years.
You can do a check. Try googling fluoride check postcode and your area.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Holy shit! I've been drinking that crap!!!

Where can I buy a water filter?

Gaaahhh! No wonder I'm ill all the time! :furious:

How to remove fluoride from water, according to About.com:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/a/removefluoride.htm

Ways to Remove Fluoride from Water

Reverse Osmosis Filtration
This is used to purify several types of bottled water (not all), so some bottled waters are unfluoridated. Reverse osmosis systems are generally unaffordable for personal use.
Activated Alumina Defluoridation Filter
These filters are used in locales where fluorosis is prevalent. They are relatively expensive (lowest price I saw was $30/filter) and require frequent replacement, but do offer an option for home water filtration.
Distillation Filtration
There are commercially available distillation filters that can be purchased to remove fluoride from water. On a related note: When looking at bottled water, keep in mind that 'distilled water' does not imply that a product is suitable for drinking water and other undesirable impurities may be present.

These Do NOT Remove Fluoride

Brita, Pur, and most other filters.
Some websites about fluoride removal state otherwise, but I checked the product descriptions on the companies' websites to confirm that fluoride is left in the water.
Boiling Water
This will concentrate the fluoride rather than reduce it.
Freezing Water
Freezing water does not affect the concentration of fluoride.

Steps to Reduce Fluoride Exposure

Don't take fluoride supplements.
Read labels on bottled beverages.
Unless they are made using distilled or reverse-osmosis water, they are probably made with fluoridated public water.
Consider using unfluoridated toothpaste.
Avoid drinking black or red tea.
There are many health benefits associated with chemical compounds found in tea, but this may be a beverage to avoid if you need to reduce your fluorine intake. Black and red tea come from two different types of plants, but both leaves naturally contain high amounts of fluorine.
Be wary of tinned fish and canned food items.
Fluoride may be used as a preservative.
Avoid black or red rock salt or items containing black or red rock salt.
Avoid using chewing tobacco.
Avoid long term use of medication that contains fluorine.
Certain antidepressants and medications for osteoporosis contain fluorine.

Drill a well?

Our second house in the US had a bore hole something like 200ft deep. The water was amazing , clear, beautiful. Even though I have my own water supply now, I don't drink it straight from the tap, its boiled first because of the sheep issue. Which is a pity, as clear fresh water as nature intended is the best drink in the world, even better than Jack Daniels.

Water fluoridation 'does not lower IQ'

Drinking fluoridated water does not lower IQ, according to a new study by researchers from the University of Otago in New Zealand.

Many popular theories cast suspicion on the role of water fluoridation, with some people claiming that fluoridated water is associated with a range of adverse health outcomes.

Fluoride is routinely added to drinking water in the US and other countries as a supplement to safeguard against tooth decay. However, some people object to the compulsory nature of water fluoridation.

Also, some of the concern around water fluoridation stems from conspiracy theories relating to the end of World War II. These include suggestions that the Nazi regime secretly fluoridated water supplies in an attempt to damage the pineal gland of their citizens, which some people think promotes docility in humans. ...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277240.php

Older people have better oral health if they live in areas where the drinking water is fluoridated, according to new research.

The study at Trinity College Dublin included almost 5,000 adults and census data from 2006. It found that those living in areas where the water included low levels of fluoride were more likely to have all their own teeth.

“This study shows a measurable positive relationship between fluoridation and maintaining a person’s own teeth,” said Prof Brian O’Connell, professor of restorative dentistry at the Dublin Dental University Hospital.

The adults were participants in Tilda, the Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing. Launched in 2006, it includes more than 8,000 people aged 50 and older and resident in Ireland.
Tilda charts their health, social and economic circumstances over a 10-year period. The 2006 census showed about 84 per cent of households have fluoridated water supplies. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/scie...d-to-better-oral-health-study-finds-1.2132650

A new report has concluded there is no definitive evidence that community water fluoridation has negative health effects.

The Health Research Board has carried out an in-depth review of existing research in relation to the health effects, excluding dental care, of community water fluoridation.

Community Water Fluoridation is a public health practice first introduced in Ireland in 1964 to improve dental health by reducing tooth decay.

The Department of Health asked the Health Research Board to determine the impact, positive or negative, on the systematic health of the population for those exposed to artificially fluoridated water. ...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0602/705305-fluoride/

Juneau terminated water fluoridation in 2007. A new study provides the first wide-ranging survey of this action's results.
Here's What Happened When a City in Alaska Took Fluoride Out of Its Drinking Water

Despite what dentists keep telling us about the protective effects of fluoride on people's teeth, virulent myths insisting otherwise somehow manage to persist.

These kinds of mistaken beliefs might be false, but their consequences are very real. Like when, in 2007, the people of Juneau, the capital of Alaska, voted to stop putting fluoride in their drinking water, over concerns about what harms it might be doing to them.

The decision, coming after years of debate in Juneau between dentists and other groups, resulted in a massive, immediate change in public health policy for the city and borough's residents.

But while research into the benefits of water fluoridation has existed for decades – and suggests fluoride reduces cavities (aka caries) and associated dental disease – less is known about the effects of fluoride cessation.

In other words, what happens when a population suddenly stops taking fluoride in their drinking water, like Juneau's citizenry did?

Now, thanks to a recent study led by first author and public health researcher Jennifer Meyer from the University of Alaska Anchorage, we've got new insights into the subsequent effects. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s...laska-took-fluoride-out-of-its-drinking-water

Back