• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flying Spaghetti Monster & Pastafarianism

And now the FSM has reached the Sunday Telegraph!
In the beginning there was the Flying Spaghetti Monster
(Filed: 11/09/2005)

In recent weeks, a satirical attack on the teaching of Creationism in American schools has become the world's fastest growing 'religion'. The Noodly Saviour looked at the furore He had created and pronounced it good, writes James Langton

For a growing band of devoted followers, He is the Supreme Being; creator of the universe and all living things. To the rest of us, the Flying Spaghetti Monster looks like a giant heap of pasta and meatballs topped with eyeballs on stalks. As it turns out, both interpretations are correct.

In the past few weeks, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has become perhaps the world's fastest-growing "religion" and maybe its most improbable. While no one can be sure of the exact numbers of "Pastafarians", as acolytes are called, they may number in the millions.

All of which has come as something of a shock to Bobby Henderson, an unemployed physics graduate from Oregon. According to Mr Henderson, the FSM - as His Noodliness is sometimes known - "revealed himself to me in a dream". Like most mysterious prophets, Mr Henderson communicates with the outside world only occasionally, although this may be more to do with having only one telephone line to his home in the small town of Corvallis and a Google e-mail account swamped by hundreds of messages every day.

Not that he ever saw himself as a rival to Mohammed or Abraham. The divine inspiration that came to the 25-year-old one night earlier this year was originally intended as a satire on attempts by some Christian groups to change the way evolution is taught in science classes in some American schools.

In particular, Mr Henderson was taking aim at the concept of Intelligent Design, or ID, which provides a supposedly scientific alternative to the Old Testament belief that God created the world in six days and nights, but which dismisses most of the fossil record as false and which relies on the Earth being far younger than geological evidence shows.

Supporters say the universe is so complex that it can only be the work of a higher intelligence. They are pushing to have it taught in science lessons as an alternative to Darwin's theory of natural selection. It has the support of many leading conservatives, including Senator Bill Frist, the Senate majority leader, and President Bush, who has said ID has a place in the classroom "so people can understand what the debate is all about".

But while the "theory" relies on the existence of a god, it does not specify which god. It was only when the state of Kansas announced earlier this year that its schools could teach ID in science classes that the Flying Spaghetti Monster made Himself widely known.

In an open letter to the Kansas Board of Education in July, Mr Henderson wrote: "I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.

"I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster."

He ends his letter with the telling comment: "I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

To support his account, he added a crudely drawn picture of the deity "creating a mountain, trees and a midget" and, as an afterthought, posted the whole thing on his website.

Barely three months later, Mr Henderson has discovered that he really has created a monster. His website - www.venganza.org - receives as many as two million hits a day. It has been featured on several widely read blogs, one of which is offering a $1 million (£545,000) prize for "proof" that the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist.

Some of the faithful have created images of their Divine Saucy Leader, including one that reproduces Michelangelo's Creation of Adam, but with the image of the creator replaced by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Some "Pastafarians" speak of the rapture that they felt when first touched by "His Noodly Appendage" or offer prayers that end with the word "ramen" - as in the Japanese noodle - rather than "amen". Others may have been drawn by a vision of Heaven that includes a stripper factory and a beer volcano and what its founder calls the church's "flimsy moral standards".

In addition, according to the creed of Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, every Friday is a religious holiday, while true believers are urged to dress as pirates because of their founder's discovery of a causal relationship between global warming and a decline in the number of buccaneers in the past 200 years.

The serious message behind FSM, however, is not lost amid its bizarre mythology. Kansas has long been a battlefield between America's religious right and supporters of Darwin. In 1925, the Scopes Monkey Trial saw the state's unsuccessful attempt to stop the teaching of any aspect of evolution, including the theory that man and apes share a common ancestor.

More recently, conservatives have taken control of the state's board of education, pushing through a review of science teaching by a majority of six to four votes. The board is expected to endorse the teaching of ID next month, and other states are thinking of following suit.

Only three members of the Kansas School Board have replied to Mr Henderson's appeal to have Flying Spaghetti Monsterism placed on the curriculum - all of whom are opponents of ID, which they see as Creationism dressed up as a pseudo-science.

"I will add your theory to a long list of alternative theories I intend to introduce when it is appropriate,'' wrote one, Sue Gamble. "I am practising how to do this with a straight face which is difficult since it's such a ridiculous subject; it is also sad that we are even having the discussion."

It is a sentiment that Mr Henderson shares. "I don't have a problem with religion," he says. "What I have a problem with is religion posing as science. If there is a god and he's intelligent, then I would guess he has a sense of humour."

In his original appeal to Kansas, the physicist demanded that his pseudo-religion be given equal time in the classroom with both evolution and Intelligent Design. If rejected, he has promised to take legal action, with an offer of free help from at least one lawyer. Pedro Irigonegaray, who defended the teaching of evolution at the school board hearing earlier this year, says: "I have made myself available to the Spaghetti Monster as counsel of record, at no charge."

Of the thousands of e-mails Mr Henderson has received, he says that about 95 per cent have been supportive, while the other five per cent "have said I am going to hell".

One wrote: "It is interesting that evolution advocates use derision and sarcasm to deal with those who believe Intelligent Design." Another said: "I pray for mercy for you as you seem to feel so comfortable hurting and mocking the very creator who gave you the ability to do such. It's a little ironic."

Meanwhile, true believers can now order souvenirs from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster website, including T-shirts from $13.99 (£7.50), a coffee mug and a car bumper sticker. Mr Henderson says the proceeds may be used to fund the campaign or, in the best tradition of dubious cult leaders, to buy a yacht that he has long fancied. If the sales really take off, it may also help him avoid having to take up his only job offer so far since leaving Oregon State University - programming slot machines in Las Vegas.

Other recent developments include the discovery of a toasted cheese sandwich miraculously bearing the image of His Noodliness that sold for $41 (£22) in an eBay auction and a hymn whose tune at least will be familiar to members of the Women's Institute or England cricket fans. The chorus runs:

"Bring me my bowl of pasta gold!

Bring me my meatballs of desire!

Bring me my sauce with herbs untold!

Bring me my bolognese of fire!"

As for whether there will still be Pastafarians in 2,000 years from now, there are already signs of trouble ahead. Some of the faithful question whether their Noodly Saviour might be made of linguini rather than spaghetti. Such people, Mr Henderson says, "give me a headache".

Passion of the Spaghetti Monster

Passion of the Spaghetti Monster

By Kathleen Craig

Bobby Henderson is holed up in the boonies -- Corvallis, Oregon -- hard at work on his next entry into the fray over just what students should learn about the origin of species.

When the Kansas Board of Education proposed balancing evolution instruction by teaching intelligent design, said to be a scientific theory that supports an "intelligent creator" of all life, the decision outraged many, including 38 Nobel laureates .

Henderson responded with a satirical letter to the Kansas board demanding equal time for a different, "equally scientific" theory of intelligent design, in which a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Pastafarianism, turned into a phenomenon, appealing to scientists, academics and many others, who flock to Henderson's website to pick up FSM mugs and T-shirts, play games and learn about other school boards hostile to evolutionary thought. The site now draws as many as 2 million hits a day.

Meanwhile, public debate over intelligent design is intensifying. One Georgia suburb recently put warnings on biology texts stating evolution was "a theory, not a fact," prompting a legal challenge by the American Civil Liberties Union heard last Thursday in the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals -- a ruling is expected next year. And Tuesday, a federal judge ruled that intelligent design couldn't be mentioned in biology classes in Pennsylvania public schools, deciding a closely watched case that evolved from a Dover, Pennsylvania, school board policy that steered students to the intelligent design textbook Of Pandas and People.

Now Henderson -- a 25-year-old physics graduate -- has banked a reported $80,000 advance for the still unfinished The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, scheduled for publication in March. He isn't talking much publicly while he writes, but he took time for an exclusive conversation with Wired News about the Gospel, a future influenced by intelligent design and his plans to build a pirate ship to convert heathens.

Wired News: Why does Pastafarianism deserve equal time in science classrooms where intelligent design is taught?

Bobby Henderson: Our theory is as much science -- in fact much more so -- than what the ID (intelligent design) guys are proposing. And, if you are going to redefine science to include supernatural explanations, you have to allow them all. To include intelligent design in a science classroom you have to first expand the definition of science to include supernatural explanations, rather than only natural ones, as it is now.

WN: Supernatural?

Henderson: They are saying that a "designer" created everything, and that natural phenomena can't have caused these things to happen, that a designer must have magically made these things the way they are. If it's not supernatural, I don't know what it is.

WN: How were you inspired to write The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Henderson: The book is necessary so that people see how much hard evidence supports the existence of the FSM. You can make a pretty strong argument for His existence. Especially if you use the same sort of reasoning the ID people do: specious reasoning and circular logic. I suspect the mainstream religions will concede after reading it.

WN: I notice there's a Wikipedia FSM Bible page. Is that a draft of the Gospel?

Henderson: Nope. There's actually another FSM "bible" brewing on the discussion forums. Neither of those are particularly similar to the "real" one.

WN: Why do you think so many people have responded to this, so many scientists?

Henderson: I think it's just because they have a better understanding of what the ID nuts are trying to do. I think part of it is that the science community, itself, is pretty quiet about the issue. Their strategy is to ignore the "debate" so that the ID people don't get the forum.

WN: Do you think that's a mistake?

Henderson: Yeah, totally. They need to be out there calling these people retarded all the time. Nonstop. The ID people are winning because the scientists think if they ignore the issue, it will go away. Plus, I'm sure it would be therapeutic to make fun of the ID people. I think it's pretty amazing that these people without scientific backgrounds -- or really any education at all -- think they have the right to decide the science curriculum. And it blows my mind that they are getting away with it.

WN: What do you think about the impact this all has on the education a student will get?

Henderson: I would be skeptical of anyone with a supernatural science education.

WN: So how do you stop these folks from deciding the science curriculum?

Henderson: We have to vote them out. Or make a crazy rule like (people) without educations can't decide the curriculum. Something like that would work, too. Being a born-again Christian shouldn't be enough to get on a school board.

WN: Do you credit the FSM with inspiring voters to toss out eight of the Pennsylvania board of education members who wanted to teach ID in science class?

Henderson: Hmm … that would be awesome if the FSM had something to do with it, but I think the Pennsylvania people just realized what a mistake they made. The Kansas school board is next.

WN: To be voted out?

Henderson: I think it's likely. Or, worst-case scenario, in 20 years everyone will get sick of having no electricity, etc., because science based on magic doesn't work so well for things like engineering.

WN: I understand that all proceeds from the book will go toward a pirate ship?

Henderson: Yeah. Seriously. As well as all proceeds from the other FSM merchandise.

WN: What's your plan for this pirate ship?

Henderson: It will be for missionary work mainly; also occasional scientific use related to pirates and global weather, etc.

WN: Do you plan for this to be a land-going pirate ship? Or a floating pirate ship?

Henderson: Ha! Floating. As huge and bad-ass as we can afford. The fund exceeds $100K at this point. Pirate ships are expensive though. Plus cannons, etc. The first several months will be cruising around, spreading the Word to others. Probably in a tropical locale, where they need converting, I assume.

WN: What about those cannons?

Henderson: Cannons are for defense, that's what I figure.

WN: Once you've spread the Word in a nice tropical locale, what will the pirate ship do next?

Henderson: It will be open to all Pastafarians. We'll cruise around and do missionary work, I imagine. It's like a floating church. It's not just a toy for me. Although I am the only one who can use the cannons. Probably.

WN: Will your work include challenging schools that want to teach ID in science class?

Henderson: We're not above legal action. There have been some very wealthy people offering to donate to the cause, but accepting money limits what we're able to do. The missionary pirate ship, for example, could be considered tax-evasion to über-conservatives. Although they may help in other ways, legal support, etc.

WN: You plan to become a religious group qualified for tax-exempt status?

Henderson: Yeah. The pirate ship will then be tax-exempt, as it's for missionary work. Falwell/Tilton set the precedent.

WN: You said believers could come aboard the pirate ship. Can you suggest good works for Pastafarians?

Henderson: Good works -- the FSM approves of religious propaganda, finding new members, etc. We are also a peaceful religion.

WN: Is there any particular message you -- or the FSM -- would like to pass on to the faithful (or the unfaithful)?

Henderson: I think religious diversity is a good thing. The FSM may disagree, I don't know.

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,69 ... _tophead_5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should evolution be taught?
Discuss with other youth.
NewzCrew.org
South Africa Archaeology
Explore the keys to human
evolution with noted scholars
www.crowcanyon.org
The Final Theory
The bestselling book our scientists
hope you never read. Find out why!
TheFinalTheory.com
Evolution of Religion
A clear and vivid introductory text
On the human aspects of religion.
www.michaelhoracebarnes.com

Is this a first? A religion where the only images of it's creator are cartoons, and no one bats an eye lid? ;)

As with most religious adherents, I think we Pastaferians have our "eyes on the prize," by which we mean, of course, the right to dress up in "full pirate regalia" and maybe be chosen to convert the masses in some tropical locale from onboard the pirate ship.

Bertie_Akbar said:
Is this a first? A religion where the only images of it's creator are cartoons, and no one bats an eye lid? ;)
You could argue that all representations of gods are cartoons. (You might not be very convincing, however.) Keep in mind the work done by people like Jack Chick who use cartoons to preach their bizarre form of Charismatic Christianity to college students. And Michelangelo used cartoons when designing the Sistine Chapel. (OK, so it meant something different back then.)

Besides, I think the Pastaferians have lost the way. Their focus has moved too far away from the original message of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. This pirates stuff is diluting the message.

Anyway, I belong to the cult of extremely recent creationists. We believe that the world was created complete in an instant at 7:15 this morning, heralded by a loud buzzing sound. And closely followed by the weather forecast.

You ERC people... you're fifteen minutes late! The world began at 7.00 am, sharp! Then the buzzing, then the weather, followed by the ABC news theme...

:p

Don't be silly. Everybody knows it's News then Weather.

Besides, you just think that the world started then because when God created you, he created those memories of time before the creation.

'Spaghetti' church is growing

Members don't object to cartoon depictions of supreme being

By Jim Beckerman
The Record (Hackensack, N.J.)

HACKENSACK, N.J. — Unlike a certain other religion in the news, the First United Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't object to cartoon depictions of the supreme being.

For one thing, he's easy to draw — a tangle of pasta strands with a meatball body.

In some pictures, he is shown reaching out to confer the blessings of life and happiness with what church members like to refer to as his "noodly appendage."

Flying Spaghetti Monster could be the next big thing on the pop culture menu.

His al dente visage can be seen on T-shirts, coffee mugs, magnets, flags, computer games. His Buitoni No. 10 tentacles can be seen reaching out to Adam in a photo-shop version of Michelangelo's "Creation," and to the disciples in Da Vinci's "Last Supper." "Flying Spaghetti Monster Bless America" appears on bumper stickers.

He's even getting his own Bible: "The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster," released this week by Random House. It's written by his foremost prophet, Bobby Henderson, who launched this satiric dig at so-called intelligent design about a year ago, and lived to see it take on a life of its own.

"It's amazing that a satirical monster could get this big, but then he did create the universe," says Dee Dee McKinney, content administrator for the FSM online discussion forum and the reclusive Henderson's primary mouthpiece.

Henderson, a 25-year-old physicist and graduate of Oregon State University, conceived of the Flying Spaghetti Monster last year as a reductio ad absurdum of the intelligent design argument for inclusion in curriculums.

According to intelligent design boosters, since evolution is only a "theory" and not provable, an alternative — that the universe was created by an intelligent designer — should be given equal time in science classes.

The "alternative" they presumably had in mind was Christianity.

But, said Henderson to some chums over beers, by the same logic the "intelligent designer" could just as easily be, say, a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It was only a short step to what happened next.

Last summer, as the Kansas School Board was having a heated debate over whether information about intelligent design should be required in public school curriculums (in November, the board voted 6-4 in favor), board members received an odd letter:

"Let us remember that there are multiple theories of intelligent design," it read in part. "I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was He who created all that we see and all that we feel. . . . It is for this reason that I'm writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories."

Members of the Dover, Pa., school board, voted out of office in November for supporting a measure similar to Kansas', also heard from the Spaghetti Monster.

But Henderson didn't stop with letters. He also created a Web site, venganza.org, as a rallying place for what were quickly dubbed "Pastafarians." While there are officially 3,332 "church" members worldwide, based on online response, the real number is doubtless much higher, McKinney says.

Some Pastafarians are just people looking for the Next Big Quirky Thing — the kind of free spirits who gravitate to things like the Church of the Subgenius or the Church of Stop Shopping.

Others are students — sincerely troubled by the rise of fundamentalism and its impact on education.

"I think it's a brilliant concept, and I've been trying to promote the idea," says David Linley, a 15-year-old high school student who discovered the Web site in October.

"I've just been disgusted by some of the pseudo-science I've seen," Linley says. Finding the site, he says, was a "wake-up call."

In addition to keeping tabs on the anti-science right and hawking various Flying Spaghetti Monster paraphernalia, the site also lampoons the kind of pseudo-science, bolstered by dubious charts and graphs, favored by creationists in books like "Of Pandas and People."

One favorite chart purports to link the rise of global warming with the decline of pirates. Which explains the "pirate" iconography — eye patches and cutlasses — that goes hand-in-noodle with the church's spaghetti-and-meatball motif.

Naturally, the Web site gets plenty of hate mail from the devout. "You're an idiot. I'll pray for you," one message read.

"They send Bobby threatening letters, they curse him, they call him a blankety-blankety-blank-blank," McKinney says. "And at the end, they say God loves him."

Most people — pro and con — assume that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the creation of atheists, or at the very least agnostics.

Actually, McKinney is a Christian, and Henderson won't say one way or the other.

"It's appalling what has been done and what has happened to my religion in the name of politics," McKinney says.

To see the Flying Spaghett Monster's image, go online to venganza.org.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635192525,00.html

I like Pastafarianism, but when it comes to the actual practise of it...I dunno.

I must agnocchi, or something.

Posted on Thu, Apr. 13, 2006

Creature's picture irks Board of Ed member

BY ICESS FERNANDEZ

State Board of Education member Connie Morris took exception Wednesday to a picture of a made-up creature that satirizes the state's new science standards hanging on a Stucky Middle School teacher's door.

Fellow board member Sue Gamble told The Eagle that Morris asked for the picture to be removed.

The creature, called the Flying Spaghetti Monster, is the creation of Bobby Henderson of Corvallis, Ore. It looks like a clump of spaghetti with two eyes sticking out of the top and two meatballs flanking the eyes.

Henderson created the entity and an accompanying mythology on the origin of mankind to make fun of Kansas' recent debate over the teaching of criticisms of evolution, including intelligent design.

In November, the board voted 6-4 to allow criticisms of evolution to be taught in Kansas schools.

Morris, who voted for the new science standards, saw the picture during the tour. She did not return phone calls for this report.

Gamble, who voted against the new standards and was also on the tour, said that Morris asked principal Kenneth Jantz to have the picture taken down.

Board members toured Stucky before finishing two days of meetings in Wichita on Wednesday.

Gamble said that when she saw the picture during the tour, she knew that some board members wouldn't approve of it.

"When we went into that classroom, students were looking at rock formations," Gamble said. "Connie stopped to talk to a teacher and I moved on. That was when I was aware of the flyer. I thought 'she's probably going to say something to the teacher.' "

Gamble said that when Morris saw the picture, she asked the principal, who was on the tour, to take it down. Jantz did not comment for this report.

Gamble said she didn't see Morris talk to Randy Mousley, the teacher, or to the principal, but that she later went up to Mousley and asked if Morris said anything to him about the picture.

That's when Gamble learned that Morris had asked the principal to take it down.

The monster's picture has hung on the door since September or October and was put up there as a joke, Mousley said.

"It's a parody," he said. "It's just making fun of anti-evolution."

Mousley said he doesn't teach students about the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Also on the door is a Doonesbury comic strip about science, said board member Carol Rupe, who represents Wichita. She also voted against the new standards.

"It was two little pieces of paper on the door," she said. "It was poking good fun."

Gamble said she told the principal that it was his decision whether the monster could stick around.

"I advised the principal that Morris has no authority," she said. "I told him to deal with his staff as he saw fit, not by what a state board member says."

Board chairman Steve Abrams, who voted for the new standards, didn't see the picture but said he thinks that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is silly.

"Personally, I think it's juvenile," he said.

The picture was still on the door at the end of the school day Wednesday.

www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/living/education/14331100.htm

I've already made the wheat intolerance pun ;)

Pastafarianism: I feel kind of comfy with the world now...

This seems an entertaining way to faith for lapsed Jedis?

http://www.venganza.org/

I once had a totally profound, mind altering experience with some extremely potent Taiwanese chilli noodles! :)

I'm puzzled...is there a rationalist in the house???

Surely, the point of religions is that the percipient who experiences a numinous event - say, a burning bush, the angel Moroni handing down the law or Mr Angry God whipping up a storm on Mt Sinai - actually believes the event to be real and goes on to act on that 'revelation'....

Now there are three main options;

1) the percipient is making it up - they are deliberately lying
2) the percipient is insane
3) the percipient experienced 'something' - what it was is irrelevant for our purpose

So we can say that #1 above would make them a lying scumbag and #2 a raving loon. Let's be good rationalists and stay safe and discount #3 temporarily for argument's sake.

Now to FSM: for it to be admissible - remember, we are invoking the great God 'rationality' here - then it has to be a metaphor or analogy for the religious experience (for those in the cheap seats that means it is 'the same thing' - more or less).

So...is anyone claiming to have actually had a real experience with an FSM? No..So that's #3 out....

Therefore, top be a true rational analogy - the FSM 'followers' must be either

#1) Scumbag liars
#2) Clinically insane

Either of which disqualify the FSM meme from sane rational consideration...

It's very worrying.....

You are rapidlt constructing straw men again.

Its perfectly possible to accept that a prophet believes in what they experienced. This may be due to the ingestion of peyote etc, alcohol or from long periods of mortification in a wilderness or even from extremely deep meditation.

It doesnt mean that it really happened, but for the prophet it was real. Depending on how convincing the aforesaid prophet is/was and how many armed thugs he can gather around then he will build a sect, cult or religion. If he gathers enough followers then his armedthugs become soldiers/police.

In the case of the Mormons, its hard to believe that Joe Smith was anything other than a conman. Thats because we're closer in time to him and its possible to strongly argue that Mormonism was based on a bad SF novel as well as some earlier texts.

ramonmercado said:
You are rapidlt constructing straw men again.

Its perfectly possible to accept that a prophet believes in what they experienced. This may be due to the ingestion of peyote etc, alcohol or from long periods of mortification in a wilderness or even from extremely deep meditation.

It doesnt mean that it really happened, but for the prophet it was real. Depending on how convincing the aforesaid prophet is/was and how many armed thugs he can gather around then he will build a sect, cult or religion. If he gathers enough followers then his armedthugs become soldiers/police.

In the case of the Mormons, its hard to believe that Joe Smith was anything other than a conman. Thats because we're closer in time to him and its possible to strongly argue that Mormonism was based on a bad SF novel as well as some earlier texts.

You miss the point again. And invoke strawman again (btw Strawmanism has a nice ring to it..I can see you as a High Priest. Of sorts).

Let me simplify:

I am referring exclusively and uniquely to FSM

I do not in any way, shape or form, believe that they have a 'prophet' who 'believes what they experienced' therefore your point is not applicable.

I'm sure I went through all this clearly enough above - try to keep up please!!!

And is that a stray twig of straw that I myself see starting to protrude from beneath your carefully adjusted motley?

Segovious I have kept up, in so far as it is possible to keep up with such an eminent philosopher*. Actually, theres very little that you say clearly.

And I wonder at the men of straw you set up to knock down so easily. You must be a farmer ot a silage dealer to have so much.

Marx wrote:
Philosophy is to the study of real life as masturbation is to sexual-intercourse.

You are truly a great philosopher.

ramonmercado said:
Segovious I have kept up, in so far as it is possible to keep up with such an eminent philosopher*. Actually, theres very little that you say clearly.

And I wonder at the men of straw you set up to knock down so easily. You must be a farmer ot a silage dealer to have so much.

Marx wrote:
Philosophy is to the study of real life as masturbation is to sexual-intercourse.

You are truly a great philosopher.

Thank you....I prefer to see myself as an exponent of the dying art of basic comprehension.

But nevertheless, I appreciate your fulsome praise and the quote is strangely apt as there are certainly quite a few mass-debaters on these boards...

But nevertheless, I appreciate your fulsome praise and the quote is strangely apt as there are certainly quite a few mass-debaters on these boards...

Excellent!

ramonmercado said:

Excellent!

An oldie but a goldie!

:D

segovius said:
ramonmercado said:

Excellent!

An oldie but a goldie!

:D

An oldie it may be but well inserted (fnarr) on this occasion.

I like The Church of the flying spaghetti monster because it provokes such extreme reactions from most American fundamentalists, the hate mail page on the website is very funny and very revealing of the fundy thought process.
I think the whole point is to provoke reaction and reveal the illogicalness(!) of religion.

Austrian driver's religious headgear strains credulity

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".
Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons.
Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism. 8)

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive.

The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point.
A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted faith whose members call themselves pastafarians.
The group's website states that "the only dogma allowed in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the rejection of dogma".

In response to pressure for American schools to teach the Christian theory known as intelligent design, as an alternative to natural selection, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote to the Kansas School Board asking for the pastafarian version of intelligent design to be taught to schoolchildren, as an alternative to the Christian theory.

In the same spirit, Mr Alm's pastafarian-style application for a driving licence was a response to the Austrian recognition of confessional headgear in official photographs.
The licence took three years to come through and, according to Mr Alm, he was asked to submit to a medical interview to check on his mental fitness to drive but - straining credulity - his efforts have finally paid off.
It is the police who issue driving licences in Austria, and they have duly issued a laminated card showing Mr Alm in his unorthodox item of religious headgear.

The next step, Mr Alm told the Austrian news agency APA, is to apply to the Austrian authorities for pastafarianism to become an officially recognised faith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

'Pastafarian' man allowed to wear sieve in his identity photo

A man who wears a sieve on his head for religious reasons has been allowed to wear his bizarre headgear on his official identity card.

Prankster Lukas Novy, from Brno in the Czech Republic, claims that his Pastafarian faith means he has to wear the sieve at all times.

Officials ruled that turning down Novy's request would be a breach of the country's religious equality laws.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2b3f4Qxer

Photo of the ID card at the link. :lol:

America's First Openly Pastafarian Politician Sworn Into Office

A small-town council member from New York is making national headlines this week after becoming the first openly Pastafarian politician to be sworn into public office.

Christopher Schaeffer, the newest member of the Pomfret Town Council, isn't just an ordinary member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster — he's a full-fledged minister.

For those who have yet to be touched by His noodly appendage, Pastafarianism, it is a satirical movement with a serious mission: Keeping the teaching of intelligent design and creationism out of public classrooms.

Schaeffer drew many side glances for his unusual decision to wear a colander to his swearing in on Friday. The colander, or pasta strainer, is the traditional headgear of Pastafarians.

"It's just a statement about religious freedom," said Schaeffer when asked by the Observer about his parody faith. "It's a religion without any dogma."

Bobby Henderson, the church's "founder," wrote in a blog post on the official Flying Spaghetti Monster site, that Schaeffer's behavior will most likely be misconstrued.

"Some people will see it as obnoxious or a sign that he's not taking the oath of office seriously," wrote Henderson. " But I am completely confident that Schaeffer will distinguish himself as a Council member of the highest caliber."

Indeed, Schaeffer told the Observer that his intention was to demonstrate just how inclusive he intends to be.

"Mostly, I'm just looking forward to making sure that the town is run smoothly and we meet the needs of all of our citizens," he told the paper. "If anybody ever has any concerns or questions, I hope they contact me, because I want to make sure that everyone is represented."
http://gawker.com/americas-first-openly ... 1496554452

Back