• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FNORD!! FNORD!!!

TheBeast17

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Can someone please tell me what a FNORD is?

I heard the word a few years ago, and can find no sane or sensible page or article on the web that explains what they are supposed to be.

I thought they were to do with world domination conspiracies, or David Icke style reptilian entities, but can't find any reference to anything helpful.

I know that there is a mathematical term Fnord, or something like it, but it has a more Fortean meaning.

Help!!!!!:eek:

Fnords, if I remember correctly, were a race of reptilian aliens from a short sci-fi story who were aiming to take over the Earth by some kind of cunning 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'-style deception. They've been mentioned in the magazine at least once.

Cue hardcore sci-fi fan with the full explanation...

pffft, you've never heard of fnord??!

Check out http://www.fnord.org/ for the details.

Click on discordia on the left, and scoll a bit down to see what fnord actually is.

The webby is a bit naff (*shudders* uurgh, frames) but it's pretty easy to find your way around

N-joy ;)

I recall them being in FT, but I don't remember anything about the article. Significant?!

Maybe Discordia had a point. Maybe FNORDs are the nonevents in life, the things that never get done, or moments that can never be measured.

Like the item on a restaurant menu that you know you will never try, or that point, while running cold water into a hot bath to cool it down, at which you have run too much cold, and now have a tepid bath. Or the itch that appears in the middle of your back, just out of reach.

Okay, now I'm just burbling.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

What's even wierder, is that I actually have 7 heads, and 10 horns.:blah:

Still don't know what a Fnord is though.:confused:

Ummm.....Okay.

So, let me see if I've got this straight:

If you ask about Fnord, you never get a straight answer, and it seems that some people know what it means.

If it means anything.

I think it's the Keyser Sozey of the Fortean world. People know of it, people prophess to know it's meaning, some may be afraid of it, but no-one really knows if it/they exist at all.

But maybe I'm just bitter and clutching at straws at not being able to discover it's meaning.

This is what I think to that...:blah:

FOUND IT!!!! HA HA!!!!

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!!!!!

I can sleep soundly in my bed now........after I've hunted out a copy of the Illuminatus Trilogy......damn!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
'skin-up' bridge in Coventry used to have a graffito proclaiming 'I've seen the Fnords!'
Anyone know if it's still there?

I've seen Fnord!

From Discordia:
Fnord is a sentient vacuum cleaner.

...and I saw it on Tellytubbies this morning.

(This was quite a synchronicity, because I don't normally watch TTs - honest!)

schnor said:
The links duff :eek:

Of course the link's duff. :fnord: The whole thing about fnord's is that they are ultimatly unknowable. You can't see the FNORDs until you've first seen the FNORDs! What, in the name of Gruad Greyface, did you expect?

Ever since HC showed me the fnords in the late 80's and recruited me into the LDD I've been running the Knights of the Fnord Cabal. Our purpose is to guard the One-True-Fnord-Of-Which-All-Other-Fnords-Are-But-Shadows (pat.pending), until the coming of the region of Thudd, at which point we shall present it unto the Goddess to use against the forces of the Anaeris... :madeyes:

Right, the link is:

http://www.angstrom.net/~fnord

Once attached to the Fnord magazine page click on the Illuminatus Trilogy magazine (furthest right) and everything is revealed.

Or is it?

What if this is only what They want us to think?

I need to lie down..:eek:

lol Niles :D

About the link, forget all the fnords, how about the Jello Wrestling?? Raaaaah, now that's what I call fun :D

:redneckhijinx:

Excellent!!!!!:D

Just so long as I'm not the only one who noticed it!!

Didn't want to mention it, and lower the tone of the thread.

Still while we're on the subject, anyone happen to have 14 gallons of strawberry jello lying around unused?

Just a thought....

Expect a resurgence in references to Fnord.

According to the nerd media website, Bleeding Cool, Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea's crazed, over-the-top, post-modern sci-fi satire, the Illuminatus! trilogy is slated to become a TV series. No details are given about where it might land, but given Hivemind's association with Amazon Prime and Netflix, one of these outlets is a likely bet.

https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/wilson-and-sheas-illuminatus.html

Unfortunately, the Fnord smiley I created seems to have been deleted...

Expect a resurgence in references to Fnord.

According to the nerd media website, Bleeding Cool, Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea's crazed, over-the-top, post-modern sci-fi satire, the Illuminatus! trilogy is slated to become a TV series. No details are given about where it might land, but given Hivemind's association with Amazon Prime and Netflix, one of these outlets is a likely bet.

https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/wilson-and-sheas-illuminatus.html
The KLF boys will probably rejoice.

Back