• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Folk Beliefs

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Folk BeliefsWeird Words:

ULs seem to be outnumbering the more traditional folk beliefs in this forum, so to redress the balance here's something copied from Michael Quinion's World Wide Words newsletter:

Weird Words: Merrythought
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The forked bone between the neck and breast of a bird.

But that's the wishbone, I almost hear you cry. Indeed it is, but
"merrythought" is the older term for that part of a turkey, chicken
or other fowl served at table. "Wishbone" was created in America;
from the evidence, it seems to have appeared sometime around the 1850s, but has since taken over everywhere. However, "merrythought" was still the more common term in America and Britain until about 1900. Here's an American example, from "Mrs. Goodfellow's Cookery as it Should Be", published in Philadelphia in 1865:

Remove the merrythought and neck bones next, this you
will accomplish by inserting the knife and forcing it
under the bones, raise it and it will readily separate
from the breast.

The name of "wishbone" comes, of course, from the folk custom in
which two people hold its ends and pull, the one left with the
longer piece making a wish. "Merrythought" refers to an older
version of the custom, in which it is assumed that the one left
with the longer piece will get to marry first. So the bone-pulling
ceremony resulted in what were euphemistically called "merry
thoughts" among those taking part. This explains the reference in
"Jack Hinton, the Guardsman", an 1843 novel by the Irish writer
Charles Lever: "Simpering old maids cracked merry thoughts with gay bachelors".

The scientific name for the bone is the "furcula", from the Latin
word that is a diminutive of "furca", a fork. That is actually
also the origin of our "fork" and also turns up in words like
"bifurcated", which the furcula, of course, is.

That's interesting - it was always called the "merrythought bone" in my childhood home.

We didn't associate it with marriage to, ahem, gay batchelors though. As I recall, whoever was left with the longer piece would be "happy, wealthy and wise". Needless to say, I always lost :(

Jane.

PS where do you get that newsletter from? It sounds facinating!

Thanks, for posting this, it is good to see more traditional folklore on here than usual UL.

You can sign up for the newsletter on here, Jane -
http://www.worldwidewords.org/

It occurs to me that this wishbone thing could date way back to the times of entrail reading, etc, trying to foretell the future fromthe innards of animals.

Is this the origin of the name of Merrythought, the teddy bear makers?

Searching for something else, I found this thread - so I thought I'd bump it!

Old wives' tales: the fertility myths
Couples seeking fertility treatment can be bombarded with contradictory advice on how best to conceive, but half of the battle is separating science from old wives' tales.
By Nick Collins
Published: 7:30AM BST 28 Jul 2010

As research reveals that women living near the Cerne Abbas Giant are more fertile than the national average, here are five other unlikely remedies to boost fertility.

Boxers vs Briefs

One of the most commonly feted pearls of wisdom relating to fertility is that a man should wear boxer shorts rather than briefs to boost his sexual potency.

The circulation of air around the reproductive organs, it is suggested, boosts sperm production by preventing the area from overheating – an idea dismissed out of hand as a myth by fertility experts.

Herbs or hoaxes?

Natural remedy enthusiasts claim a whole host of herbs can enhance one's fertility, from the humble stinging nettle to the aptly-named Dong Quai 8) , a Chinese plant that supposedly improves the chances of embryo implantation.

Other remedies suggested by advocates of alternative medicine, which many mothers swear by, include False Unicorn Root, which allegedly stimulates ovulation, and Raspberry Leaf, which is claimed to "tone" the uterus.

Grapefruit juice

Grapefruit juice is said to have a thinning effect on cervical mucus in the same way that cough syrup clears the throat, therefore clearing the sperm's passage to the egg.

Clinical evidence to support this notion may be somewhat lacking, but the juice is high in vitamins so it's a winner either way.

Raising the bottom

One tip offered to desperate would-be-mothers is that they should lie back and lift their bottom into the air following sex, to increase the chance of sperm fertilising the egg.

This myth comes unhinged due to the fact sperm cells are chemically programmed to travel in the right direction, and any that need a push in the right direction are unlikely to be of much use. ;)

Wooden penis

A Japanese ritual carried out in the fertility festival of Hounen Matsuri sees townspeople parade through the streets carrying a gigantic wooden phallus.

Traditional wisdom said this would increase the residents' fertility as well as helping crops grow, and the appeal of running amok with a giant wooden penis has ensured that the ceremony is still performed today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... myths.html

[color=indigo[size=5]]Despiration leads people to belive and do strange things...[/color][/size]

"One tip offered to desperate would-be-mothers is that they should lie back and lift their bottom into the air following sex . . . "

Those not really wishing to be mothers can safely occupy this position during coitus.

:?

rynner2 said:
Old wives' tales: the fertility myths

Wooden penis

A Japanese ritual carried out in the fertility festival of Hounen Matsuri sees townspeople parade through the streets carrying a gigantic wooden phallus.

Traditional wisdom said this would increase the residents' fertility as well as helping crops grow, and the appeal of running amok with a giant wooden penis has ensured that the ceremony is still performed today.

Oh yes, and it's on every year on the 15th of March - raise your bottoms to this one Ladies and Gents - and avert your eyes if you don't wish to indulge in some very phallic imagery!

bbb10.jpg

bbb9.jpg

bbb8.jpg

bbb7.jpg

bbb6.jpg

bbb5.jpg

bbb4.jpg

bbb3.jpg

bbb2.jpg

bbb1.jpg

bbb11.jpg

Giant phalluses, eh? :shock:

All we Brits get as fertility charms are these.

:(

Corn dollies're supposed to be potent fertility charms. I believe we have a thread devoted to those and other fecundity magic.

I'm not going anywhere near it, though. :lol:

That last photo just cracked me up! :lol:

Old wives' tales: true or false?
While an apple a day may actually have health benefits Telegraph.co.uk looks at whether there is any truth behind other popular old wives' tales.

Eating carrots will make you see in the dark: FALSE

But if you eat too many carrots they could turn you orange. Carrots — along with yellow and green veg and citrus fruits — contain carotene. Eat enough and you get "carotenaemia" — an orangey colouration most noticeable in the palms and soles.

The belief that carrots can help eyesight dates back to the Second World War when the Royal Air Force was trying to hide the fact it had developed a sophisticated radar system to shoot down German bombers. The RAF claimed the accuracy of its fighter pilots at night was a result of them being fed carrots.

Eating crusts makes your hair curl: FALSE

Curly hair grows from curly follicles, and straight hair from straight follicles. But eating crusts is good for you. They are rich in compounds called melanoidins which help to produce more of the 'good' bacteria we need for healthy guts. Melanoidins also increase the amount of enzymes, thought to protect against cancer.

Wait an hour after eating before swimming: FALSE.

Digestion diverts some blood from the muscles but for ordinary swimming they should get enough oxygen to avoid cramp.

Most body heat is lost through the head: FALSE.

Only about ten per cent of heat is lost through the head.

Drink at least eight glasses of water a day: FALSE.

Hydrating the body can be achieved with most liquids, including tea and coffee.

Feed a cold, starve a fever: FALSE.

In both cases you should drink lots of fluids and eat healthily.

Urinate on a jellyfish sting: FALSE.

You could make things worse. Vinegar does easy jellyfish stings though.

Swallowing chewing gum can block your bowel: TRUE.

There have been genuine cases of gum gumming up intestines.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... false.html

From the Independent's article on Easter traditions

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 43550.html

But surely the oddest custom used to take place in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia, where there was a tradition of spanking or whipping of woman on Easter Monday. In the morning, males throw water at females and spank them with a special handmade whip, consisting of eight, 12 or even 24 withies (willow rods), which is usually from half a metre to two metres long and decorated with coloured ribbons at the end. The spanking is symbolic and normally not painful or intended to cause suffering. A legend says females should be spanked in order to keep their health and beauty during the next year.

And there I was wondering why the women from those areas were so beautiful and healthy. Now we know!

los_grandes_lutz said:
But surely the oddest custom used to take place in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Slovakia, where there was a tradition of spanking or whipping of woman on Easter Monday.

I was born in that area and this is true. I was seven years old when I left the area and this folklore was already treated as a joke and as child's play. We boys went running after the girls which was great fun. So I think the custom may be totally extinct by now.

Back