• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
For another bit of Basque folk-horror:

IMG_8935 a.jpg

It's fortunate that we were at the other side of the river when it attacked.

Looks like that could be by Louise Bourgeois..

Inspired by a large supermarket development in Cardigan, RE-TOLLED draws on imagery of the Mari Lwyd and other folk ritual in an attempt to manifest the 'spirit' of the land. As trees are felled and the landscape altered, the reverberations are felt deep in the earth, disturbing creatures that are now only remembered in folk memory.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the awesome "Diving Belles" by Lucy Wood is a definite contender IMO. Yes, all the stories have ancient lore as a backbone, but she does an amazing job of weaving modern vignettes around them. There's also a pleasantly eerie atmosphere running through the whole book which is hard to pin down.

Feels like a very personal nostalgia book for me .. I was born a Fortean clearly !
Finally got a copy of Scarred For Life the other week, started reading it and it's really good, looks into so many great programmes from the era, and it's a massive book at 740 pages! Highly recommended to anyone interested in folk horror.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the awesome "Diving Belles" by Lucy Wood is a definite contender IMO. Yes, all the stories have ancient lore as a backbone, but she does an amazing job of weaving modern vignettes around them. There's also a pleasantly eerie atmosphere running through the whole book which is hard to pin down.

I credit my interest in folk horror entirely to the lovely Toni Arthur, who succeeded in making me shiver with nervous glee as a child every October when they dug up the episode of whatever programme it was that contained her song 'The Witches of Halloween'. This song was always followed by some animation thing about a pumpkin-headed creature (Jack?) who hopped, I think, with a stick. The method of animation was as eerie as the story...something to do with the stop-motion technique.

Found it. Yep, is still creepy. Will try to add link.

As I suspected is is the animation and the darned hopping that are unsettling. Even 'Chorlton and the Wheelies' was scary because of the stop-motion. And the witch.

There are also hideously long gaps left for you to read the words, something which shouldn't be scary but is. I watched it and became acutely aware of the hum of my fridge. TV for kids today is very noisy and nothing stops...

Last edited:
As many of us love the genre, I thought we could do with a separate dedicated Fortean Culture thread for all folk horror related TV, film, radio and book recommendations, rather than keep posting video links etc., to the Folk Horror thread over on General Forteana.

To get us started...

The Black Tower (1985-87)

Last edited:
Folk horror, a history: from The Wicker Man to The League of Gentlemen
By Ben Myers
26 July 2017

In 1801, the proportion of the population of England and Wales living in towns and cities was just 17 per cent, but by the close of that century, as landowners were displaced and industry boomed, it had jumped to 72 per cent. The most recent UK census showed that 81.5 per cent of the population of England and Wales now live in urban areas, with less than 10 per cent residing in what would qualify as villages or hamlets.

This mass movement from agricultural to post-industrial life has detached us from the land that fed and clothed us for thousands of years, with the countryside becoming increasingly alien territory, avoided or misunderstood by those who have little contact with mud, dead animals, or the stench of excrement. Such urbanites have scant knowledge of farming or food production and patronise ancient local traditions. They are unnerved by the space, the silence. They fear their countryside, their own past.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture...orror-history-wicker-man-league-gentlemen?amp

The Ghoul review – a pleasingly perplexing enigma

An occult plot is discovered in Gareth Tunley’s terrific shoestring debut as writer and director. Or is it all in the hero’s mind?
Wendy Ide
Sunday 6 August 2017 08.00 BST

First time writer/director Gareth Tunley marshals the meagre resources of this micro-budget psychological thriller and creates a pleasingly perplexing enigma of a movie. Tom Meeten stars, face desolately etched, eyes darting, as Chris, a man whose therapy sessions unearth an occult plot that may or may not be all in his chaotic mind.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/aug/06/the-ghoul-observer-review

As many of us love the genre, I thought we could do with a separate dedicated Fortean Culture thread for all folk horror related TV, film, radio and book recommendations, rather than keep posting video links etc., to the Folk Horror thread over on General Forteana.

To get us started...

The Black Tower (1985-87)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088483/

That was good in a slow, minimal, low key kind of way. Was it originally shown on tv as part of a series? Totally unlike anything you'll see on tv these days. The imdb link is for a different Black Tower though.

Sorry that I haven’t gotten it yet, but what is meant by “folk” in terms of this thread? I’m just curious, as the first link for Dark Tower could be a bit folkloreish, but The Ghoul seems like an indy horror without a real folklore component. Once I know exactly what you mean, I’ll be sure to add anything that I think of that fits!

Leaves...?

At any rate...don't know if this fits ,if not consider it a book recommendation, but I highly recommend Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock.

51E9y6SgiAL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Leaves...?

At any rate...don't know if this fits ,if not consider it a book recommendation, but I highly recommend Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock.
51E9y6SgiAL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
One of my favourites back in the day. Too bad its author is no longer with us.

Back