• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Border (Gráns): A film which might best be described as Swedish Folk Horror as it mixes tropes of Trolls and Changelings with everyday Human Horror. Tina (Eva Melander) is different, she has a somewhat neanderthal appearance but also possesses strange talents. She works as a Customs Officer and can literally sniff out out wrongdoers, whether they are smuggling alcohol, drugs or other contraband. She literally becomes aware of their sense of fear and guilt. One day she meets someone who looks as odd as herself passing through her Customs channel, a man called Vore (Eero Milonoff). They sniff at each other and thus begins what might be a beautiful relationship or a nightmare.

This is the story of another species of Human or perhaps something far stranger, it depends on whether you view the film as Science Fiction/Horror or Fantasy/Horror. Tina and Vore are closer to nature, they run naked through forests and swim in lakes, have a relationship with animals that allows them to commune. They fear thunder storms, seem to attract lightning. But the story takes a far darker as Vore doesn't just want to make more little Trolls, he also has a lust for vengeance. To make humanity pay for driving Trolls to the point of extinction. There are also some extraordinary gender-bending episodes in Border and an intriguing explanation for the nature of Changelings is proffered.

Moving performances by Melander and Milonoff as they explore their angst, loss and alienation. A disturbing but powerful film which will make you think about the nature of differences and what constitutes a Monster. Director/Co-Writer Ali Abbasi delivers an original contribution to the Troll Film Genre. 9/10.

Where did you find this Ramon?

Border (Gráns): A film which might best be described as Swedish Folk Horror as it mixes tropes of Trolls and Changelings with everyday Human Horror. Tina (Eva Melander) is different, she has a somewhat neanderthal appearance but also possesses strange talents. She works as a Customs Officer and can literally sniff out out wrongdoers, whether they are smuggling alcohol, drugs or other contraband. She literally becomes aware of their sense of fear and guilt. One day she meets someone who looks as odd as herself passing through her Customs channel, a man called Vore (Eero Milonoff). They sniff at each other and thus begins what might be a beautiful relationship or a nightmare.

This is the story of another species of Human or perhaps something far stranger, it depends on whether you view the film as Science Fiction/Horror or Fantasy/Horror. Tina and Vore are closer to nature, they run naked through forests and swim in lakes, have a relationship with animals that allows them to commune. They fear thunder storms, seem to attract lightning. But the story takes a far darker as Vore doesn't just want to make more little Trolls, he also has a lust for vengeance. To make humanity pay for driving Trolls to the point of extinction. There are also some extraordinary gender-bending episodes in Border and an intriguing explanation for the nature of Changelings is proffered.

Moving performances by Melander and Milonoff as they explore their angst, loss and alienation. A disturbing but powerful film which will make you think about the nature of differences and what constitutes a Monster. Director/Co-Writer Ali Abbasi delivers an original contribution to the Troll Film Genre. 9/10.

I'm pretty damn sure that this one was shown in some mainstream cinemas in Moscow! I saw the trailer for it and was intrigued. I didn't bother however - I mean it's hard enouigh watching a film in original Russian without watching one in Swedish and dubbed into Russian!

If I'm right then it's good to see Swedish films breaking in to the international market.

The Hole In The Ground: A great example of Irish Folk Horror.

Saw your post as I was just about to mention the film. I watched it last night after reading the positive review in the last FT. I really enjoyed it, reminded me of the British-Irish horror film, The Hallow (2015). I love gems like this, they are few and far between, but that makes it all the better when you find one. The locations used were excellent and atmospheric, I'm in rural Ireland now and thought it was the best time to watch it! Highly recommended.

Saw your post as I was just about to mention the film. I watched it last night after reading the positive review in the last FT. I really enjoyed it, reminded me of the British-Irish horror film, The Hallow (2015). I love gems like this, they are few and far between, but that makes it all the better when you find one. The locations used were excellent and atmospheric, I'm in rural Ireland now and thought it was the best time to watch it! Highly recommended.

What does the FT review say? I still haven'r received 377.

What does the FT review say? I still haven'r received 377.

They gave it 5 stars and in the reviewer's opinion, ''...not particularly original. But that's nit-picking: (...) this is already a contender for the best horror film of 2019.'' On the same page was a review of Border, which was awarded only 3 stars by the same guy.

Good review. Border is one of the most mesmerising things I've seen in ages. I was completely absorbed right to the end. Watch it.

The Hallow could have been far better IMHO. I want to watch it again though, as everyone else loves it. I thought the faeries were used as little more than stylised zombies in an escape flick. There could have been much more powerful use made of their malevolent intelligence and motivation drawn from the folk narrative. They're far more nefarious than the film depicts.

I watched an unusual film last night, The Wind (2018). Which I can only describe as a folk horror western. The story was interesting, but the film was a bit slow at times and didn't explain itself too much. I'm not certain but I think the film may have been inspired by a 1925 book of the same name by Dorothy Scarborough, which I always thought was a fairly obscure supernatural story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_(novel)

Here's the brief wiki description of the film,
A plains-woman is driven mad by isolation, as a supernatural force haunts the untamed lands where she resides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_(2018_film)

I watched an unusual film last night, The Wind (2018). Which I can only describe as a folk horror western. The story was interesting, but the film was a bit slow at times and didn't explain itself too much. I'm not certain but I think the film may have been inspired by a 1925 book of the same name by Dorothy Scarborough, which I always thought was a fairly obscure supernatural story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_(novel)

Here's the brief wiki description of the film,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_(2018_film)

Looks interesting. I'd heard of the Lillian Gish film, but never knew about the novel. West Texas could drive a person mad indeed. :tumble:

The Soviet film Viy from 1967 is sometimes called `the first Soviet horror movie` on account of its ambience., even though it was -presumably - aimed at a family audience. It is based on a short story by Nikolai Gogol who in turn was inspired by the folk tales of his native Ukraine.

It has a spooky atmosphere reminiscent of some of the Hammer Horror films from Britain in the same period. Full movie with English subtitles:

Outcast: A mother, Mary (Kate Dickie) and her son Fergal (Niall Bruton) flee to Scotland and settle in a rundown estate on the outskirts of Edinburgh. They are pursued by others who believe that Fergal is an abomination and must be killed. On an Irish Traveller halting site Cathal (James Nesbitt) undergoes an excruciating tattoo ritual, this will enable him to slay the boy and will give him great power afterwards. Cathal is accompanied on his quest by Liam (Ciarán McMenamin) a ritual magician who will track the hidden pair and counter Mary's Spells. Mary is seen mixing her own blood into liquids and draws protective runes on the walls of their flat to conceal them from those who wish them harm. This is a world in which magic works and Mary uses words of power to confound an irksome housing officer.

A settled Romany girl Petronella (Hanna Stanbridge) falls for Fergal and their doomed relationship is central to the films development. Liam and Fergal have to get the permission of the Laird (James Cosmo) to continue their hunt in Scotland. Having secured it, Liam sacrifices pigeons to locate Mary and Fergal. On the Edinburgh estate a strange beast is loose and is gruesomely killing locals.

This is the story of those who believe they are part of an old race, most of which has departed this world, the remainder living in the shadows. Practitiones of magic live on but when a forbidden mating takes place the issue of that union must be hunted down and destroyed. A dark tale of folk magic, strange rituals, even necromancy and a monster. Great performances by all involved especially Nesbitt who doesn't realise that he is being used by greater forces rather than achieving his manifest destiny. Dickie is superb as the fiercely protective mother, she truly convinces as a Witch. Bruton and Stanbridge will scald your heart in their portrayal of the Star Crossed Traveller/Romany lovers.

The film is confusing at times though and it may also involve the coalescence/clash of two competing schools of magic. The Irish and Scottish accents are often difficult to comprehend. But director/co-writer Colm McCarthy delivers an engaging tale of Love and Horror. 8/10.

On Horror Channel,showing again on Friday 12th April at 12.25 AM.

Last edited:
I saw this a few years ago and really enjoyed it, thought it was a great story, highly recommended!

What did you think about Cathal? Was he another type of magical practitioner? Did he come from another strange race?

Outcast: A mother, Mary (Kate Dickie) and her son Fergal (Niall Bruton) flee to Scotland and settle in a rundown estate on the outskirts of Edinburgh. They are pursued by others who believe that Fergal is an abomination and must be killed. On an Irish Traveller halting site Cathal (James Nesbitt) undergoes an excruciating tattoo ritual, this will enable him to slay the boy and will give him great power afterwards. Cathal is accompanied on his quest by Liam (Ciarán McMenamin) a ritual magician who will track the hidden pair and counter Mary's Spells. Mary is seen mixing her own blood into liquids and draws protective runes on the walls of their flat to conceal them from those who wish them harm. This is a world in which magic works and Mary uses words of power to confound an irksome housing officer.

A settled Romany girl Petronella (Hanna Stanbridge) falls for Fergal and their doomed relationship is central to the films development. Liam and Fergal have to get the permission of the Laird (James Cosmo) to continue their hunt in Scotland. Having secured it, Liam sacrifices pigeons to locate Mary and Fergal. On the Edinburgh estate a strange beast is loose and is gruesomely killing locals.

This is the story of those who believe they are part of an old race, most of which has departed this world, the remainder living in the shadows. Practitiones of magic live on but when a forbidden mating takes place the issue of that union must be hunted down and destroyed. A dark tale of folk magic, strange rituals, even necromancy and a monster. Great performances by all involved especially Nesbitt who doesn't realise that he is being used by greater forces rather than achieving his manifest destiny. Dickie is superb as the fiercely protective mother, she truly convinces as a Witch. Bruton and Stanbridge will scald your heart in their portrayal of the Star Crossed Traveller/Romany lovers.

The film is confusing at times though and it may also involve the coalescence/clash of two competing schools of magic. The Irish and Scottish accents are often difficult to comprehend. But director/co-writer Colm McCarthy delivers an engaging tale of Love and Horror. 8/10.

On Horror Channel,showing again on Friday 12th April at 12.25 AM.
Recorder set, sounds fascinating, thank you.

What did you think about Cathal? Was he another type of magical practitioner? Did he come from another strange race?

I'm not sure but I took it that he was from another ancient race, but it doesn't give much away about their origins, which is good in some ways as the film allows you to use your imagination. This is another one of those horror/folk horror gems that come by once in a blue moon.

Just to clarify: Outcast is on the Horror Channel at 12.25 am on Saturday 13 April. It just appears as part of the Friday schedule.

The Charlie Parker books by John Connolly have from the outset touched on Folk Horror as the P.I. hunted serial killers, but these killers often hel occult beliefs. Charlie was also haunted by the ghosts of his murdered wife and daughter. As the series progressed a conspiracy started to be uncovered, one that was intent on bringing back the Old Gods or the Not-Gods. Six of the novels form a decidedly Folk Horror sequence involving The Green Man, Buried Gods and old religious sects. The latest Parker novel, A Book of Bones brings this sequence to a conclusion as Parker travels to England in pursuit of serial killers, a strange occult text and gets involved in the investigation of ritual murders. You could even start with this book as the back story is skillfully related.

A pilot episode for a Charlie Parker TV series is about to start filming.

John Connolly: The Charlie Parker saga reaches a culmination
But, two decades after Every Dead Thing, A Book of Bones is not the end of story
about 17 hours ago

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...e-parker-saga-reaches-a-culmination-1.3855791

Just Saying It Could Even Make It Happen – A short introduction to Folk Horror in the work of Kate Bush
it struck me suddenly that many people may not understand why this pop-star has such a hold on the hearts of those who grew up in a certain time, in a certain place, and why she is so indelibly linked with that particularly eccentric Englishness that is a core of folk horror. There is the same dark and capering glee in Kate’s work, a mindset that makes dressing up as itinerant monks to perform ‘Running Up That Hill‘ on Wogan seem perfectly normal, as there is in the concluding procession of The Wicker Man, as there is in Cotswold cheese-rolling and the fireworks of Lewes. There is the delight in sun-kissed mornings and the melancholy of mist-shrouded nights, there is the sadness of loss and the purity of love.

https://pietersender.wordpress.com/...tion-to-folk-horror-in-the-work-of-kate-bush/

The Dig: This film deserves to be seen as Folk Horror due to how a Fairy Tree in a circle of stones influence the progression of its narrative. Ronan (Moe Dunford) returns to a dilapidated farmhouse which is adjacent to bogland. A man is digging on the bog, sections staked out with flags. Seán (Lorcan Cranitch) is searching for his lost daughter, Ronan recently released from prison was convicted of her murder. At first the two clash violently but Ronan joins in the dig as he has no memory of the night of the murder due to being drunk. Seán's daughter Roberta (Emily Taafe) also reluctantly accepts Ronan's presence, they had once been friends and perhaps more. But the relationship between the three is an ongoing rollercoaster of emotions. There is also violence from locals and the local police chief Murphy (Francis Magee).

This film seems to be set in the border counties of Ireland, yet it is a not-Ireland, neither North or South. Murphy, heavily bearded, always in rough plain clothes, a pistol at his hip, is more like a Sheriff. Maintaining the law with his boots, fists and a gun when necessary. A Beckettian Bog Western where the participants wallow in the mud searching for something which might not even be there. Seán makes a drink with berries picked from the Fairy Tree in the belief that it will restore his memory. Ronan accepts the elixir, sharing Seán's faith in the old ways. The Fairy Trr and the surrounding land is very much hallowed ground in this peasant society. Dark secrets in many senses are uncovered as the film progresses.

Directors: Andy and Ryan Tohill, working from a screenplay by Stuart Drennan have delivered a dark gem, The Field for the 21st Century. 8.5/10.

The Dig: This film deserves to be seen as Folk Horror due to how a Fairy Tree in a circle of stones influence the progression of its narrative. Ronan (Moe Dunford) returns to a dilapidated farmhouse which is adjacent to bogland. A man is digging on the bog, sections staked out with flags. Seán (Lorcan Cranitch) is searching for his lost daughter, Ronan recently released from prison was convicted of her murder. At first the two clash violently but Ronan joins in the dig as he has no memory of the night of the murder due to being drunk. Seán's daughter Roberta (Emily Taafe) also reluctantly accepts Ronan's presence, they had once been friends and perhaps more. But the relationship between the three is an ongoing rollercoaster of emotions. There is also violence from locals and the local police chief Murphy (Francis Magee).

This film seems to be set in the border counties of Ireland, yet it is a not-Ireland, neither North or South. Murphy, heavily bearded, always in rough plain clothes, a pistol at his hip, is more like a Sheriff. Maintaining the law with his boots, fists and a gun when necessary. A Beckettian Bog Western where the participants wallow in the mud searching for something which might not even be there. Seán makes a drink with berries picked from the Fairy Tree in the belief that it will restore his memory. Ronan accepts the elixir, sharing Seán's faith in the old ways. The Fairy Trr and the surrounding land is very much hallowed ground in this peasant society. Dark secrets in many senses are uncovered as the film progresses.

Directors: Andy and Ryan Tohill, working from a screenplay by Stuart Drennan have delivered a dark gem, The Field for the 21st Century. 8.5/10.
Love that. The ghosts of the original ra stand ready. Cheers, mate.

Midsommar: The Paganism in this film is very much of a Shamanistic type, differing in many aspects from the Celtic varieties. The ingestion of magic mushrooms is central to the rituals portrayed in the film and how the mushroom tea is filtered is made clear in a banner panel. A "May Queen" is chosen at the Midsommar, the winner of a dance around a pole, you dance until there is one woman left standing. In the old days The Dark One forced the young to dance till they died, now the young women dance in defiance of Him. These practises are carried out by a Cult in Northern Sweden at Midsommar when the Sun never sets.

The contrast between the dark and snow of the U.S, as the film opens and the eternal sunshine of Sweden is vividly conveyed. Another darkness clouds Dani's (Florence Pugh) life as her sister kills their parents and commits suicide. Her boyfriend Christian (Jack Reynor) wants to break up with Dani and is encouraged to do so by his friends Mark (Will Poulter) and Josh (William Harper) but Christian feels a responsibility towards her. When classmate Pelle (Vilhelm Blomgren) invites Mark, Christian and Josh to join him at a midsummer celebration that occurs once every ninety years at his family commune, the Hårga, in Hälsingland, Christian cannot exclude Dani from the trip. When they arrive, they are all welcomed as if they were family themselves. But there are warning signals which should have screamed "Get Out Of Here" to them, especially to Christian and Josh who are Anthropology postgrads.

The Midsommar Ritual begins placidly enough but soon takes on an aura of strangeness. By the time the first scenes of violence occur they are perhaps not so shocking because of the developing eerie mood but they are quite gory. There are episodes of savagery and sadism throughout the second part of Midsommar but they are all related to The Ritual. Far more import to the the narrative's development is the uncanny feeling which permeates the entire the film. What happens to the characters after they arrive at the commune is perhaps preordained, every action they take is in some way related to The Ritual, In this manner, ritual development, Midsommar resembles Kill List and The Wickerman though the storylines and outcomes differ.

Midsommar is not a film you will easily forget, several viewings may be necessary though for you to catch every fine detail. Director and writer Ari Aster has delivered another Folk Horror masterpiece. 9/10.

Last edited:
Teen son and his friends went to see it last night. They said it was a great film, but "seriously messed up" (which I take to mean "disturbing.")

I watched an old Taggart episode last weekend, Season 24, Ep 6, "Island". A body is found butchered on old ceremonial stones on a remote Scottish Island. As the team make their way over by ferry, DCI Burke warns them to avoid Wickerman jokes. The island even has a Wiccan Commune and other strange characters. Well worth a watch. I saw it on Drama Channel.

Midsommar: The Paganism in this film is very much of a Shamanistic type, differing in many aspects from the Celtic varieties. The ingestion of magic mushrooms is central to the rituals portrayed in the film and how the mushroom tea is filtered is made clear in a banner panel. A "May Queen" is chosen at the Midsommar, the winner of a dance around a pole, you dance until there is one woman left standing. In the old days The Dark One forced the young to dance till they died, now the young women dance in defiance of Him. These practises are carried out by a Cult in Northern Sweden at Midsommar when the Sun never sets.

The contrast between the dark and snow of the U.S, as the film opens and the eternal sunshine of Sweden is vividly conveyed. Another darkness clouds Dani's (Florence Pugh) life as her sister kills their parents and commits suicide. Her boyfriend Christian (Jack Reynor) wants to break up with Dani and is encouraged to do so by his friends Mark (Will Poulter) and Josh (William Harper) but Christian feels a responsibility towards her. When classmate Pelle (Vilhelm Blomgren) invites Mark, Christian and Josh to join him at a midsummer celebration that occurs once every ninety years at his family commune, the Hårga, in Hälsingland, Christian cannot exclude Dani from the trip. When they arrive, they are all welcomed as if they were family themselves. But there are warning signals which should have screamed "Get Out Of Here" to them, especially to Christian and Josh who are Anthropology postgrads.

The Midsommar Ritual begins placidly enough but soon takes on an aura of strangeness. By the time the first scenes of violence occur they are perhaps not so shocking because of the developing eerie mood but they are quite gory. There are episodes of savagery and sadism throughout the second part of Midsommar but they are all related to The Ritual. Far more import to the the narrative's development is the uncanny feeling which permeates the entire the film. What happens to the characters after they arrive at the commune is perhaps preordained, every action they take is in some way related to The Ritual, In this manner, ritual development, Midsommar resembles Kill List and The Wickerman though the storylines and outcomes differ.

Midsommar is not a film you will easily forget, several viewings may be necessary though for you to catch every fine detail. Director and writer Ari Aster has delivered another Folk Horror masterpiece. 9/10.
I can't wait to see it. Planning it this week. I love the films you listed so look forward to it. I love the reviews by the way!

Back