• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Folklore Connected With Birds

uair01

Antediluvian
Hi, yesterday at the library I've been browsing symbol-encyclopedias to check if every bird I can see from my window has some symbolic meaning or legend.

I found, as expected: magpie, crow/raven (we don't have these but we have rookies), duck, heron, pigeon.

But I didn't find anything on: cormorants (AFAIK these "death birds" should be just as ominous as crows) and seagulls, which surprised me.

(For now I ignore the small stuff like blackbirds, starlings, tits, robins, sparrows and such ...)

It's a bit of a cheat but the birds that I can mostly see from my office are entirely wrapped up in myth and legend. They are the Liver Birds on top of the Liver Building here in Liverpool. As I said, bit of a cheat, sorry. :)

I can see Magpies, Seagulls and various Blackbirds, plus some sunbathing pigeons.

uair01 said:
But I didn't find anything on: cormorants (AFAIK these "death birds" should be just as ominous as crows) and seagulls, which surprised me.

From this website: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/l ... imals2.htm

In Native American cultures, seagulls stand for carefree attitude, versatility and freedom.

Speaking of adaptability, I know for a fact that 90% of the gulls in my tourist-ridden harbor town have eaten nothing but discarded Burger King french fries for generations.

ogopogo3 said:
Speaking of adaptability, I know for a fact that 90% of the gulls in my tourist-ridden harbor town have eaten nothing but discarded Burger King french fries for generations.

Interesting! I wonder if that's changed their evolution in some way?

Out my back window this afternoon, I saw a Rosella. Get a few of them around here, but not as many as the magpies, currawongs, crows, sulphur crested cockatoos, and galahs. Not to mention seagulls. In Canberra. 100 miles from the nearest ocean. (Want a friend for life? Give a seagull a chip, and it'll follow you home.)

Curious thing about the magpies here is that they seem loathe to fly. They walk everywhere in roaming gangs. A friend feeds the local ones who in turn act as guards on her house.

And for some reason, the sulphur cresteds and the galahs tend to hang out together. Never really understood why.

Anonymous said:
It's a bit of a cheat but the birds that I can mostly see from my office are entirely wrapped up in myth and legend. They are the Liver Birds on top of the Liver Building here in Liverpool. As I said, bit of a cheat, sorry. :)
But there is an interesting story behind them, all the same:

Liver bird sculptor rehabilitated by city that tried to forget
Liverpool honours Carl Bernard Bartels posthumously, nearly a century after he was imprisoned and his plans destroyed
Martin Wainwright guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 12 July 2011 16.31 BST

Liverpool seldom forgets an injustice. But for almost a century, the city has harboured one of its own, which will now be put right during a weekend of 3D projections and free concerts.
They will mark the centenary of the famous Liver building on the Mersey riverfront, topped by its pair of extraordinary birds, half eagle and half cormorant.
They were made by a talented artist who won an international competition for the commission, but was then airbrushed out of history.

Although a naturalised Briton, who had fallen in love with the country on honeymoon in 1887, Carl Bernard Bartels was arrested in 1915 at the height of anti-German feeling during the first world war, and imprisoned in an internment camp on the Isle of Man. At the end of the war, he was forcibly repatriated to Germany, separated from his wife, children and the home in London where they had lived for 20 years. :evil:

Worse was to come, as Liverpool city council admits in citations accompanying the posthumous award of citizen of honour to Bartels during the centenary celebrations between 22 and 24 July. "We are setting the record straight," said Wendy Simon, the city's cabinet member responsible for culture and tourism. "There was very strong anti-German feeling at the time, especially when the Lusitania was sunk in 1915 on her way to the port. It didn't last, even with the second world war, because we're a very multicultural city and famously welcoming. But it was too late by then for the man who gave us our famous Liver birds. He just got forgotten."

Rehabilitating the artist proved tricky, even in the last decade, because the 1915 xenophobia saw his drawings and blueprints for the 5.5-metre (18ft) copper sculptures destroyed, while false trails appeared to have credited foundry designers or the architect of the Liver building, Walter Aubrey Thomas.

Bartels himself accepted the cold-shouldering after a long and difficult struggle to return to the UK, where he eventually resettled and carried out commissions for Durham Cathedral and a number of country mansions.

"He also made artificial limbs for servicemen in the second world war," said his great-grandson Tim Olden, a graphic artist from Southampton who is one of 13 family members travelling to Liverpool to receive the award. "But it's only very recently that he has started to get real recognition. My mother took a 'let things lie' attitude, but one of her last wishes was to go and see the birds, and Liverpool gave her a warm welcome."

The visit in 1998 began Liverpool's rediscovery of Bartels, including his skill as the first person to sculpt a nonexistent bird only previously portrayed in drawings and paintings. He also managed to create a male and female, giving rise to the scouse legend that one or the other flaps its wings if a virgin or an honest man walks along Pier Head.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/1 ... ed-bartels

Rediscovery of the Bartles is overdue. They did plover versions of the following bird-songs.

A Hard Day's Nightjar
All You Need is Dove
Get Beak
Quack in the USSR
Happiness is a Worm Gun
Here Come the Hen
I Am the Albatross
I Want to Hold Your Hen
Love Me Dodo
Goosey in the Sky with Drongos
The Owl on the Hill

etc etc.

I hadn't noticed how many real bird titles they did. :)

At the end of the war, he was forcibly repatriated to Germany, separated from his wife, children and the home in London where they had lived for 20 years. Evil or Very Mad

Perhaps they could find the bugger who designed this god awful effort and deport him too.

birdshit.jpg

Me too. Not sure of the significance of it though. :?

I like it - the flock of birds statue, I mean. It doesn't have to have any significance per se. It's a flock of birds.

So far not seeing much folklore on this thread.

Aah, Peni, I was wondering about it's significance, as it's in a part of Leeds known as City Square, where there are several other statues of various famous folk from the area, (Joseph Priestly, James Watt), The black Prince, (though the significance of Edward has more to do with the patron than Leeds) and a bunch of Nymphs.

All classical statues. There is the emblem of an Owl associated with Leeds. I just wondered if those birds might also have some significance - hopefully in a folklore kind of way - otherwise I can't think of why the planners allowed it, as I don't see the connection.

We have a thread somewhere on robins as messengers from the Other Side, or something like that.

Here's a nice article on bird folklore from the BBC website -

Seven birds and their mysterious folklore

Our associations with certain types of birds can be traced back to the Stone Age, and have become part of our cultural and social history.

Without a proper understanding of how the world worked, people often tried to explain mysterious events or death by linking them to supernatural causes, giving rise to many of the superstitions we know today.

Here are seven infamous feathered friends and the myths and folklore associated with them.

Thanks for that! Bit of a shame it didn't say whether a swan really can break your arm, but I suppose there's not many folks willing to test the theory.

Back