• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Food Query: What Was This Food Called? What Was Its Name?

DrWhiteface

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is an odd request, but do any Australians remember an ice block from the 1980's that were in the shape of Australian animals - emu, possum, koala, etc. Perhaps they were Crazy Critters, but I am not sure. I seem to remember that they were very sweet, as if they were made entirely from syrup (ah, the eighties! You could go get away with more then!)

Don't remember them. Where were you in the 80s? They could have been a regional thing.

I think I remember them! They were in Australia (as am I), but I'd completly forgotten these ice creams - and no, I cannot remember their name, either! I do remember Toobs! And Sunnyboys! Smurf Ice blocks as well (they had two sticks, you could snap the ice block into two ice blocks! - ah, those were the days!)

Anome_ said:
Don't remember them. Where were you in the 80s? They could have been a regional thing.

They were in Australia during the eighties, but I cannot recall for the life of me what they were called. I suspect they were called Crazy Critters, but I am just not sure!

Odd question, but it’s driving me nuts: Can anyone else remember those individual fruit pies that used to be available in the UK, the ones that came in cardboard boxes, sitting in a foil tray? The box was about 6” x 6” x 1.5”.

They used to be everywhere, but it’s suddenly occurred to me that l haven’t seen one in years. l ask because, out of nowhere, l recalled a trivial incident which featured one, and l couldn’t bring the name of the product to mind.

Anyone?

maximus otter

Odd question, but it’s driving me nuts: Can anyone else remember those individual fruit pies that used to be available in the UK, the ones that came in cardboard boxes, sitting in a foil tray? The box was about 6” x 6” x 1.5”.

They used to be everywhere, but it’s suddenly occurred to me that l haven’t seen one in years. l ask because, out of nowhere, l recalled a trivial incident which featured one, and l couldn’t bring the name of the product to mind.

Anyone?

maximus otter
There are quite a few products of that description out there. Any further clues?

Lyons did individual fruit pies, similar to Mr Kipling.

Morrisons do a particularly fine assortment of 'in store' baked fruit pies too, if you're hankering after a taste of the olden days.
Pop into the aisle where they keep the tinned fruits to find some RTE custard too. Yum.

Odd question, but it’s driving me nuts: Can anyone else remember those individual fruit pies that used to be available in the UK, the ones that came in cardboard boxes, sitting in a foil tray? The box was about 6” x 6” x 1.5”. ...
Do you mean miniature pies in pie pans, like this? ...

4-INCH-TT-NSA-APPLE-1.jpg

If so ... I don't know that there's a general category label for them. Here in the States they're still available from specialty / gourmet bakeries, but (as you said ... ) they seem to have disappeared from the snacks aisle or convenience markets.

As I recall they were usually called 'snack pies'.

My guess is that the cost of packaging them this way in non-airtight boxes with pans caused producers to switch to (e.g.) sealed wrappers (and a flatter / burrito-style shape for more efficient packing).

It was either that or the massive sugar content of the filling and the high fat of the pastry were increasingly thought to be unhealthy and as such they fell out favour. The pie you depict claims 'no sugar added' so probably not as bad but likely to carry some other sweetener instead.
Plus the fruit itself is full of fructose innit.
The lack of air-tight packaging wasn't so much of an issue either cos they just mixed in (un)healthy dollops of preservatives.
Does McRonalds still do their 'volcano-in-a-pastry-tube' that they laughingly describe as 'apple pie'?

Anyone?

maximus otter
I remember those too, I used to have one nearly every day in my lunch box in the 70s! I used to like the apple and blackberry one best but the apple one was good too. They were only about half the depth of the ones you get in the 6 pack nowadays but around 5-6" across. Lyons seem to ring a bell with me.
I wonder if they were prone to damage in transit as they were loose in the box and probably bounced up and down a lot!

Do you mean miniature pies in pie pans, like this? ...

If so ... I don't know that there's a general category label for them. Here in the States they're still available from specialty / gourmet bakeries, but (as you said ... ) they seem to have disappeared from the snacks aisle or convenience markets.

As I recall they were usually called 'snack pies'.

My guess is that the cost of packaging them this way in non-airtight boxes with pans caused producers to switch to (e.g.) sealed wrappers (and a flatter / burrito-style shape for more efficient packing).

Very similar, but that’s not the UK brand.

maximus otter

I remember those too, I used to have one nearly every day in my lunch box in the 70s! I used to like the apple and blackberry one best but the apple one was good too. They were only about half the depth of the ones you get in the 6 pack nowadays but around 5-6" across. Lyons seem to ring a bell with me.
I wonder if they were prone to damage in transit as they were loose in the box and probably bounced up and down a lot!

I’m sure it wasn’t Lyons.

maximus otter

Mr Kipling?

I don’t think so, that would be too easy!

I’ve gone through the usual suspects: Ginsters, Mr. Kipling etc., but I’m pretty confident that they were a separate brand.

Damn, this is annoying..,

maximus otter

I’ve gone through the usual suspects: Ginsters, Mr. Kipling etc., but I’m pretty confident that they were a separate brand.

maximus otter
I can see and taste them- but can only remember blackcurrant ones.

maximus otter
Me too. I can picture the box in my mind but can't quite visualise the logo. I used to live quite close to a small grocers where I used to get mine then and I don't think they sold Mr Kipling cakes at all.

Well someone had better find out- it will drive me mad otherwise. Where's Scargy when you need her? catseye? Sollywos? Anyone???!!!

These?

Attachments

• product-image-jam-tarts-favourites-uk-2020-t1.png
    product-image-jam-tarts-favourites-uk-2020-t1.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 14
Sara Lee?
Not heard of those ones. I'm picturing something similar to those in my photo (I know it's a modern pic), but something along those lines. I haven't eaten cakes in years so I don't know what's still around and what isn't these days.

Sara Lee products were sold everywhere and their Black Forest Gateau was really their flagship product. For some odd reason, they no longer sell anything here in the UK - but they are still in business.

Aunt Jemima breakfast products have been sold in the U.S. since 1889, but African American citizens objected to the slave type name.

These products are now called Pearl Milling Company which was the original company in 1889.

The pancake mix is big in the U.S.

Anyone?

maximus otter
Lyons

7d00b1fa407c0aac952a09b412b99635.jpg

Not jam tarts, Floyd1; I think it has to be something with a pastry lid too. I would just have guessed Mr Kipling's Fruit Pies (two of each flavour: apricot, blackcurrant and apple)? But perhaps there was a similar product (in some parts of the country, at least) with a more distinctive name.

Thanks for all the replies, but none of your suggestions rings the bell for me.

Grrr

maximus otter

Back