• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

mikelegs

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A long time ago a friend and I were talking about different kinds of foods and realized that there were some foods that seemed like EVERYONE liked. We started hypothesizing somewhat conspiracy-style, but it really did get me thinking. So maybe we can sort this out. Some things we thought were candidates for foods that absolutely no one *disliked* were:

.peanut butter
.chocolate (and chcolate with peanut butter)
.vanilla ice cream (I'm not too fond of it, but can't say I don't like it)
.those bright orange crackers with cheese/peanut butter sandwiched in them (maybe only in the US?)
.strawberries

If anyone actually dislikes any of these foods, please come forward. If anyone has any more candidates, also please come forward. And be honest.

Do you not have the whole peanut-allergy-death thing in the States?

Much more severe than the children-who-turn-yellow-from-drinking-Sunny-D situation.

I'm sure we do. But just 'cause you're deathly allergic doesn't mean you don't like it.:cool:

True enough...

My personal faves are curry, and chocolate.

Yum

I dont know anyone who doesn't like chips...thats french fries in the US, and I love peanut butter.

i love all of those - even though i have a peanut allergy i absolutely adore peanut butter, especially the king that has layers of chocolate spread layered in between!

I hate strawberries. Whole strawberries.
In smoothies they're great, but not whole. Same with oranges: orange juice good, oranges bad.

I hate strawberries - any sort. And I don't like the taste of peanut butter!

I love Lime Pickle. Exquisite with curry, even in a cheese sandwich! (But my Frapping local supermarket doesn't stock it anymore.)

I can't stand peanut butter, sorry!

Btw, does everyone else agree with me that sprout are, indeed, evil?

Evilsprout said:
I can't stand peanut butter, sorry!

Oh yes! But I have discovered something equally evil...

Having won a box of goodies recently, including fresh vegetables, I wondered what to do with cabbage, which I hate. Feeling adventurous, I decided to pickle it, and the result was surprisingly tasty. BUT the after-effects next day, in the gaseous emissions department, were absolutely vile! I'm wondering who I hate enough to give a jar to as a 'present'!

Evilsprout said:

Dunno if sprouts are evil, but my entire family's bottoms were after five days of the little green beasts last Christmas (my Mum had bought a huge sack of them). The house smelled like a cattle shed for about a week afterwards...

Out of all those things listed, I like:
-Chocolate
And hate:
-peanut butter (really, REALLY hate)
-vanilla ice cream (sensitive teeth so it hurts, I wouldn't mind it so much otherwise)
-cracker things, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about ;)
-strawberries (I generally hate all fruits for their sticky and manky ways, but I don't mind the taste in small quantities)
Also, I don't like many vegetables, but I have no idea what that says about my health :)

Oranges that make the willy sore and sprouts that hurt the bottom!

Yes, yes but I thought we were talking about eating them. :eek:

Norman Douglas gives a recipe from Apicius. He calls it Vulvae Steriles
for which you need a Sow's Vulva. Praised by Pliny, Martial and Horace so
it must be worth a try next time you are in the country. Yum yum. :p

Put it this way Evilsprout, I live in an area of Bedfordshire, called the 'brussel sprout belt'.

On cold winter mornings, as you drive along the narrow lanes, you glimpse these hunched gnome like people, through the ground mists, as they pick brussels with the frost still on them, as they & their ancestors have done, for several generations.

And you know what?

I still don't like the nasty green vegetable!!!!!:D

I actually love sprouts - possibly the only person I know who actually does :eek: They're particularly nice steamed and then quickly fried in butter and nutmeg ;)

BTW, I like everything from the list (but I don't know what the cheesy cracker things are though).

I like peanut butter, curries, strawberries, brussel sprouts.
I hate garlic, capsicums ('peppers'), olives (double-yuk), avocado.

I've sometimes pondered why one man's meat maybe another's poision, so to speak.
Is it because of acquired taste (i.e. I now love spinach - a definite acquired taste), concentrations of particular taste-buds, small variations in bodily pH, or variable nutrient demands?
For instance, I've always loved somewhat acidic condiments, and onions in almost any shape or form - cooked, pickled or raw. I could each mounds of fried onions. My mother apparently had an almost insatiable love of pickled onions when pregnant with me (but not before or since); while my sister developed a taste for cryatallized ginger and ginger biscuits when pregnant with her eldest son - who happens to love ginger!
I suspect some tastes are dictated by mineral deficiences. In othe cases, I'm sure it's just because the substance - whether in terms of flavour or texture, happens to hit the appropriate pleasure centres of the brain - in many cases, probably due to their high calorific value.

Hermes said:
I like peanut butter, curries, strawberries, brussel sprouts.
I hate garlic, capsicums ('peppers'), olives (double-yuk), avocado.

You may yet come to love these....I couldn't eat peppers or olives until the ripe age of 29, now suddenly, I'm an addict - strips of pepper in (garlicy) hoummous, and a can of olives a week, no sweat!

Similar thing happpened with mushrooms (accepted at around 15)

...but tomatoes...

...and avocado...

...maybe one day...

As for a universal food - I guess no-one objects to strenuously to water...?

Cheers

Nick

Originally posted by nicktf

You may yet come to love these....I couldn't eat peppers or olives until the ripe age of 29, now suddenly, I'm an addict - strips of pepper in (garlicy) hoummous, and a can of olives a week, no sweat!

It's possible, Nick, but since I'm a little past 29, and it hasn't happened yet, I kind of think that these ones will stick.
As for mushrooms, I'm glad you mention them. And tomatoes. I'm not too keen on either, but can tolerate both as ingredients in a dish - say, Shepherd's Pie or Lasagne.

As for a universal food - I guess no-one objects to strenuously to water...?

Only the water in Birmingham. If it wasn't disguised by orange squash or tea/coffee, you might have been forgiven for thinking it came straight out of the Tame - and anyone knowing what the Tame was like in 1985 will know exactly what I mean!

PS I wonder if people can be 'typed' in any way reliably according to food preferences - based, say, on 10 main foods? Just an idea.

Actually, yeah, I'm suddenly remembering the "great taste" of London tapwater...

Ambrosia always struck me as a rather optimistically named brand too.

I tend to believe "Mother Nature knows best". If I get a craving for something I don't normally fancy, I just accept that my body is in need of some specific nutrient.

I think the strange appetites of pregnant women is another example of this.

Anyhow, Bon Appetit!

Women are all just mental, pregnant or not. My girlfriend won't eat anything white. (ooer) For example, she wouldn't touch cheese sauce but if I colour it with say, mustard, no problem.
"It's not the taste, it's the colour" she says. Mental.

Everybody likes it?

I HATE peanut butter...I guess that means I would hate the peanut butter cracker things you talk about. I have tasted cheese ones and lemon ones but haven't noticed peanut butter ones in the shops here.

Actually...I HATE all nuts and nut flavoured spreads, even the chocolaty hazelnut one.

I DISLIKE cooked onions, green peas, beetroot and some 'hot' foods like chilli's (only because they burn too much).
Once when I was a kid I got sick and spewed all over my sheepskin rug next to my bed, all I could see were carrots! It took me years to eat another cooked carrot.
Anyways...(sorry for the details).

Avocado's...eat them on toast; with prawns; on crackers; guacamole (nacho's...mmmm); use them as a spread instead of butter...hmm, some even eat them with sugar sprinkled on them (!?). I think they are the best, most versatile fruit in the world.

YUMMMMM!!!

I fear that I may not be human - -

I don't like chocolate. Not one bit. Not even allergic.

And I am extremely fond of sprouts - I'm looking forward to x-mas dinner solely for the boiled sprouts with chestnuts mixed up with mashed potatoes and liberally covered with turkey gravy. Oh, joy!

As a child I only ate white colored foods, and still hate all red foods, with the exception of Indian things, like Tandoori.

And those nuclear orange "cheese flavored" crackers with that creepy dried out crumbly brown "peanut butter" type substance in the middle - those are evil! I hate, hate, hate them. My grade school would give those as a 'treat' since they somehow fit in to the federally mandated food allotments, though how I could not know. Unless... ORANGE PEANUT BUTTER CRACKERS IS PEEEEEEOPLE!!!

~c.toast

Guacamole is basically pureed avacado with a few extras thrown in. I used to go out with a girl who had a complete mental block about the word guacamole, she used to call it glockenspiel!! :eek!!!!: :D

Sprouts are EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL ! Thats why mummy dearest never gives me them :D

To who ever said they don't like garlic, well I love it! I like it pickled and have been known to eat a whole raw clove of it. Yes it gives you major bad breath but it's good if you have a cold.

luce

I might have a bit of a cold coming on, but although I like garlic in cooking I don't think I'll try chewing a whole clove. But it might be away to get to the bar in a crowded pub...

The only thing I can't really manage now is pineapple. Don't mind the taste at all, and I can drink the juice no probs, but if I get a piece in my mouth, I suddenly find I can't swallow! It's really annoying if I have a fruity curry or sweet & sour, 'cos even if I pick the chunks out, I usually miss a few, leading to disgusted looks as I spit the offending article out. Once I've got rid of it everythings ok and I can swallow the rest.

No idea why this is. Maybe I was frightened by one as a child or something. I did know someone who was actually scared by the look of pineapples; she'd run out of a room if it had one in. Must've made going down to Tescos a bit strange...

My food predjudices have to do with what I like, not with what I will eat. If hungry I will eat almost anything that isn't raw animal.That's why I wondered at the quote I saw from Afganistan. "The food is bad and the raisins are off." Does that sound like a hungry man?Maybe they quoted the one person in the country who had all he wanted to eat.

Back