• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

beakboo said:
Niles, you can get cinnamon flavoured toothpaste in the health food shops, it's called "Tom's Organic" It's quite yummy :blah:

Woop! Woop! Woop!

I shall look it up (I love cinnamon)!

Niles "who curiously has Tic Tacs in his coat pocket despite them being foul" Calder

You can get cinnamon Tic Tacs, too. At least in the states, anyway.

rynner said:
I know Glastonbury attracts a lot of fringe types, but that post seems to belong more to California than dull ol' UK!

Dog toothpaste, forsooth!

LOL you can get dog toothpaste from any vet's , you can get malt flavour too .
Tom's do Fennel toothpaste too , so do Kingfisher .
We used to get cinnamon tic tacs in the UK many years ago but they were gross and no one bought them , now we get mint , spearmint , orange ( which are actually also mysteriously minty ) and lime and tangerine .

Don't like mint itself, ie the leaf, and mint sauce makes me ill (but then I don't like lamb, either). Quite fond of Extra Strong Peppermints, though.

Adore peanut butter, but also have allergic kid, so have to score away from home and consume in shop doorways at night.

Hate liver (even with fava beans and a nice Chianti)

Can't even go into Burger King - worked there for a week, had to quit due to excessive imagination (ie I had one). Had great fun on my last day, though ("Kev? Is this the new mayo or the the one that had that stuff on top?" announced fortissimo )

Don't mind McDonalds. KFC ditto.

School dinners appalling, esp desserts (yeah, I remember green custard: quite watery, too)

Bristol tap water horrendous.

Like Garlic. Don't mind either way about beetroot.

Do not like sausage rolls (don't know why: like sausages, like pastry: Freudians need not explain, thank you very much..)

Would sell my soul for good syrup puddings.

Why do pubs sell cakes? Will boycott such enterprises til bakeries become licenced to sell booze.

Like toothpaste (though if you're trying to disguise that you've been smoking "Airwaves" menthol gum works a treat. Not that I've ever done that, honest, love..gave up years ago..you know that..)

Syrup puddings? Very easy to make, if you can procure two essential pieces of kit- an electric casserole (crockpot) and a plastic pudding basin with a fitted lid.
I used to make endless varieties of steamed pud, with coconut, jam, treacle, currants, pineapple, apple, banana, you name it....
......... never tried cinnamon flavoured toothpaste though...

Food brings back memories. The taste, smell, even the mention of certain foods...............

.................. the smell of garden mint makes me want to buy a shotgun.................

One thing I've never understood is orange flavoured chocolate. Orange has no business being anywhere near chocolate. And mint chocolate :cross eye. Toothpaste flavour chocolate? They'll be doing fish flavoured chocolate next. Oh I forgot, Hershey's have been doing that for years.:rolleyes:

Terry's Chocolate Oranges, and the afore mentioned Jaffa cakes have made quite a career out of mixing chocolate and orange, Beak!

What about bacon? Anybody not like bacon? I love bacon.... mmmmmmm....

Fake bacon,love it ,that American Mornstar stuff mmmmm... I think if I ate meat I would eat bacon but to me it smells like a combination of fake bacon and fat man's sweat. mmm...

Ahhh, yes bacon. Oddly enough I loathe tomatoes but will eat them (if the slimy stuff's been removed) in a bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. On whole wheat bread only, mind you!

Chocolate and orange is a flavor combination that proves the existance of higher powers, as it must have been inspired by a heavenly being.

And peanut butter is one of the most disgusting substances on earth, second only to sprouts.

Fallen Angel said:
Ahhh, yes bacon. Oddly enough I loathe tomatoes but will eat them (if the slimy stuff's been removed) in a bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. On whole wheat bread only, mind you!

Chocolate and orange is a flavor combination that proves the existance of higher powers, as it must have been inspired by a heavenly being.

And peanut butter is one of the most disgusting substances on earth, second only to sprouts.

As a fallen Angel, you are doomed to eat puree of sprouts and peanut butter sandwiches forever.:cross eye

ONE OF THE THINGS I LIKE BEST IS SUCKING THE JELLY OUT OF A PORK PIE (ASPIC ITS CALLED) HOT OR COLD.I ALSO LOVE COCKLES AND WHELKS BUT RETCH IF A MUSSEL COMES WITHIN AN INCH OF ME GOB

escargot said:
I HATE all varieties of mint flavour and bought Euthymol toothpaste for years, which the kids whinged about.

I think Escargot and I must be related. I hate mint as well and used Euthymol throughout my teens, which resulted in a number of cavities since Euthymol contains no fluoride. Since switched to regular toothpaste -- mint is a lot easier to take since I gave up smoking, but I'm still not a fan...

I dislike porridge (blech) and most cereals, endives, chicory, beetroot, and dark chocolate as well. I also hate offal, "dark" meat in poultry and most fish but as I'm a vegetarian now I don't have to worry about that so much.

I'm pretty indifferent to peanut butter and sprouts but I really miss the abundance of cinammon-flavoured convenience foods you get in the US but not over here (...at least I did until I read Douglas Coupland's Girlfriend in a Coma in which one character tells another that anytime you smell cinammon in a residential area, it means a decomposing body has been found and they're fumigating....) but I love Ranch Dressing and can eat it with anything.

Incidentally, I do miss meat. Thinking about medium-rare steak, pan-fried king prawns, McDonald's 1/4 pouders with cheese or a good roast beef dinner can have me slavering within seconds, but...

.... my very favourite food is ...

A lightly toasted thick hunk of fresh wholemeal bread scraped with melting unsalted butter and a thin layer of Marmite.

Yum.

Weird as it may seem the only things I really don't like are chichen and turkey, not so much the taste as the texture - I can eat them if they been pulverised and spiced beyond all recognition, but eating either of them roasted (which you sometimes have to do out of courtesey) makes me heave. I tend to hack them around and eat the absolute minimum.

I didn't used to like almonds either, but for some reason the taste doesn't seem as strong these days or else I unconciously block it out.

Has Anybody out there shared in the "delights' of that king of fruits Durian. Personally I can eat it till I am fit to burst, but the smell of it before I ate it for the first time was so bad I could almost upchuck at a whiff but out of courtesy I tried it and i guess it must have something addictive in it because I actually plan holidays just so it will be in season when I visit! Not allowed on Public transport either I am led to believe and i have never seen whole fruits outside of the tropics. If you get the chance stick a peg on your nose and dive in, its Peaches and cream but so messy! Yum Yum. not sure how on topic this is but the link for this thread popped up in my email..Not sure how. Maybe that could be a thread all of its own!

Love both the taste and texture of lychees :)

out of the original list of foods in the beginning of this thread, i do NOT like chocolate. especially the dark bitter one - the smell of it kind of makes me sick. anybody else?

i remember reading about durian. never tried it tho - never seen it in stores down here. i don't think they import it. i would be curios to try it (pref. outdoors...)

I think there's a bit in the present FT about durians being carried on a plane. The smell caused a flap though the fruits were found to be sprinkled with white powder to damp the smell down, or something............

They have signs in the Singapore rail transport system saying, 'no durians' . . . never tried 'em myself, but the taste is supposed to be worth braving the awful smell for. Can't quite believe that . . .

Carole

I can't believe I've just spent 15 mins reading this thread from the start ( I missed it 1st. time round)
I hate peanuts and have a vicious allergy to them. I don't know what they taste like because they burn my mouth as soon as the tiniest bit touches them! In fact so do all nuts except chestnuts.... now that's a different matter completely:D And then mushrooms, hated them as a kid but now I eat them raw and fresh..lovely. And of course nutmeg...wow you can even trip on nutmeg;) I could go on, but I must watch the spy prog just coming on bbc2.

That reminds me of one of my boring old person's stories: I used to have this very young, inexperienced flatmate. She was rather a long time in the kitchen one evening, and looked quite flustered when she came out. When questioned, she admitted she had, on my advice, bought some fresh vegetables, namely mushrooms. But sadly they were "all black, underneath", and she'd spent the last half hour cutting the gills out.
:(

Mint toothpaste is yeck! I used to use CTGs banana flavour powder.

Euthymol is good but I use mint stuff now.

85% dark chocolate is the real deal.

Peanut butter with cheese and jam (jelly) in a sandwich.

Sprouts, yummy, no matter what they do to your bottom.

Raw broccoli stems: yum, but the florets, yuck!

Liver is foulness incarnate.

Lamb is lovely and sweet, anyone else like eating crispy lamb fat?

However pork is... not nice--slice of long pig anyone? *shudder*

Caroline said:
Lamb is lovely and sweet, anyone else like eating crispy lamb fat?
Certainly not me. All that nasty fat and cholesterol. And that lovely lamb flavour... Sorry, no I would never ever tear great chunks of crispy fat of a leg of lamb and chew on it.

I also don't like mint sauce on my lamb. Gets in the way of the dead baa-lamb flavour.

meaty smells

Hahahahah, long pig!

I cook butcher scraps for my dogs and the house smells of boiling pork for one day a week. Puts me in mind of certain serial killers I've read about who boiled down their victims'........... no, don't go there. :cross eye

When I collect my butcher scraps there are always Asian ladies there who buy ribs to cook for their families. I'm told these ribs are spicy and very nice, but there doesn't appear to be much meat on them.

Liver is very cheap here- 2lb for £1- and I buy it as a treat for the dogs. They love it- they circle the bowl on the floor, drooling profusely, until it cools down.

You wouldn't think I was veggie!

Re: meaty smells

escargot said:
You wouldn't think I was veggie!
At least you don't force your dogs to be vegitarian, like some do. (It's not good for them, although it's not as bad for them as it is for cats. Of course, it's nigh on impossible to force any diet onto a cat, as it will just go and catch anything it feels like if it gets hungry.)

Liver is good because of all the protein and vitamins that wind up there. (Of course, it's much more attractive to dogs than it is to humans. At least sane humans.) Just remember never to feed them (or anyone else) a polar bear's liver as it contains way too much Vitamin A, and can actually kill you (or them). (Not that it will be available at you local butcher, anyway.)

remember never to feed them (or anyone else) a polar bear's liver
Thanks for the tip, Anome!
(Phew that was close- I was just off to the Arctic Delicatessen!) :D

I've heard of veggie diets for dogs but I wouldn't try it- I think it's wrong for lots of reasons.
When I worked on markets I was regularly given the most wonderful meat for the dogs- whole hams and so on which hadn't sold & would need throwing away.

Dogs need meat, and cats do too.

One of my cats watches the dogs with their pigs' feet etc and will dart out and grab a chunk when they're not looking, and carry it off to the shed roof to eat. She is a tiger in her mind!

escargot said:
I've heard of veggie diets for dogs but I wouldn't try it- I think it's wrong for lots of reasons.
When I worked on markets I was regularly given the most wonderful meat for the dogs- whole hams and so on which hadn't sold & would need throwing away.

Dogs need meat, and cats do too.

My stepmother (hysterical vegan type) used to feed her dogs on organic brown rice and brown bread, it sounds cruel but they used to live til they were about 20! I wouldn't do it mind,I would like to put my dog on a BARF diet but I'm too lazy!Sometimes I buy cheap raw stuff for her,once she had two quails from the bargain bucket at Safeway,and once a nice raw trout,but usually its just raw chicken wings (crunch crunch lovely!)
I'm sure humans are supposed to eat a certain amount of meat,I've been vegetarian all my life and I've started getting arthritis (and I'm not 40 yet).
Cats do need meat and only meat,they need a fair amount of taurine in their diet (and convert proteins into carbohydrates so don't need these in their food).They die if they don't get it.(literally they can starve to death on a veggie or low-meat diet even if they are eating lots)

Marion said:
Cats do need meat and only meat, they need a fair amount of taurine in their diet (and convert proteins into carbohydrates so don't need these in their food).They die if they don't get it.(literally they can starve to death on a veggie or low-meat diet even if they are eating lots)

I can't imagine a cat actually starving to death if it's owner didn't feed it meat, it would be out there killing things, unless you locked it in the house permanently. Cats are after all little furry killing machines, and you only have to look at one in long grass to know that in its heart it's a tiger.

Back