• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

Timble said:
I can't imagine a cat actually starving to death if it's owner didn't feed it meat, it would be out there killing things, unless you locked it in the house permanently. Cats are after all little furry killing machines, and you only have to look at one in long grass to know that in its heart it's a tiger.
Yes, all cats are highly delusional.

But they're so cute when they're doing it. If you had a typical house cat at the size of a tiger, I can imagine that people would be overcome with its cuteness even as it was ripping them to shreds.

Then again, tigers look quite cute too. It's a cat thing.

And there's no way a cat with a reasonable roaming range would starve, although the local environment might suffer somewhat.

I gag even thinking about those peanut butter crackers, and I will only eat specific types of it, and very rarely. I, on the other hand, absolutely love almost any seafood, which I believe I am pretty much solo there :(
Heather

Seafood- I once bought, for 50p from Asda, a whole lobster for my cats. I left it on the table for a minute and F.A. the ginger half-Persian tomcat was away with it. He dragged it rattlingly around the house, chased by a screaming mob of the other cats, and eventually wrestled it onto the shed roof where he ate it. Fantastic entertainment!

Timble said:
I can't imagine a cat actually starving to death if it's owner didn't feed it meat, it would be out there killing things, unless you locked it in the house permanently. Cats are after all little furry killing machines, and you only have to look at one in long grass to know that in its heart it's a tiger.

A lot of cats are kept permanently indoors these days-mine is,and don't get to hunt anything more than the odd spider,I don't know how much taurine there is in them!

Bananas, hard boiled eggs, raw cheese, can't stand the texture of any of them, but I like the flavour of them all!!. Don't like mint toothpaste, but like mint on my roast dinners (and I make a superb roast dinner :D ). Donner kebababs, love them, taxi drivers staple food (only food available at 4 am in the morningg!!!!!:eek!!!!: ) Love all sorts of fat on meat except lamb fat when its cold. Don't like sweet things. I think I've said it before but do women turn to sex when they can't get chocolate?.:eek!!!!:

caroline: lamb fat is one thing that persuades me to stay in this world when i have strange thoughts
escargot: pork ribs are the other thing that persuades me etc. etc.

I dont like penut butter. Makes me feel dodgy.

As for things everyone likes I think Bacon must be on the list.

zardoz said:
me niether:no-no:
but my candidate for a universal liked food is: Peaches?:blissed:
Peaches? Ewwww!

What are the criteria for being universally liked? I think for every food you can name, you will find someone who doesn't like it.

And before anyone tries, I don't like apricots either.

My father loathes peaches!

I've never eaten bacon and I think it smells like hot sweaty fat men when its cooking but I do like the smell and taste of veggie fake bacon (which is more like bacon flavour crisps or Rancheros flavour)

Marion said:
I've never eaten bacon and I think it smells like hot sweaty fat men when its cooking ...

I would avoid any fat person that smelt of bacon cooking unless they were a chef cooking bacon at that very moment. I which case I would applaud.

Mmmmm. 4 rashers Bacon, light drizzle of smoked garlic mayo, 2 slices of wholmeal brown bread and some HP. Bliss :tongue: :yeay:

I hate flabby, greasy bacon.:cross eye

It has to either tough as shoe leather or so crispy and friable it's just a heap of bacon crumbs.:)

I like lamb fat, but can't stand fat on any other meat.:splat:

Chriswsm said:
I dont like penut butter. Makes me feel dodgy.

As for things everyone likes I think Bacon must be on the list.

Unfortunately Most of the Muslim Population would disagree no matter how nice it is (Bacon that is ). I am not sure but I think Jews are not allowed to like it either..Love it myself...But no where near as much as crunchy peanut butter smeared all over a lovely golden brown piece of..toast! dripping with butter. And if I am feeling wicked I'll smear mayonaise on top of all that but only if the toast is pretty thick.....Smear definitely makes food nicer!

Am I the only one on earth who despises bacon and boiled potatoes?

Yet I do love octopus, squid , liverwurst, snails and frogs legs? Am I an ogre but do not know it?

regarding peanut butter, I loved it as an adolscent but in my mid twenties I cannot stand it..........give me chocolate till I pass out though and I will be happy!

The cheesy crackers coloured orange with the niutty center were good in myt youth, and if I was truly ravenous I would eat them with delight.......

chocolate wafers, blueberry muffins I adore

strawberry's are icky

cheese ????????

Hello Dreemik, boiled potatoes are pretty icky, but only when they're peeled before boiling :cross eye They're all naked and grey and unappetising.
Blueberry muffins I used to like until I went to New York, where I had to eat so many of the blighters I can't look at them now. :)

Boiled potatoes are only grey if you don't do it properly. My mother's potatoes never come out grey, and I don't like having the skin on them, so she's always peeled them.

What about food you used to like but some dramatic event has turned you off them?

I haven't touched jam doughnuts since the mid-'90s when I semi-consciously imbibed about 10 in a row at Glastonbury Festival (I hadn't eaten in 2 days and was, er, chemically altered).

Last year I developed an evil stomach bug directly after having made my speciality pizza (goat's cheese, shiitake mushroom and rocket -- yeah, baby...). The next time I tried to cook it the associated smells sent me running out into the street to throw up -- similarly I had a bad moussaka a few months ago and chocolate cake for pudding... by the time I got home I was feeling very dodgy indeed and said hello again to the chocolate cake...

I'm only starting to come round to chocolate again....!

Last year I developed an evil stomach bug directly after having made my speciality pizza
- it's a shame you were turned off that because as food poisoning takes a while to develop it wouldn't have been the pizza's fault! As you'll have already worked out of course.

I once made fritters of all kinds - onion, pineapple etc- and was sick all night. I seemed to 'blame' the mushroom fritters and can't eat them to this day. As nobody else was affected, and I was 6 months pregnant, there may have been an alternative explanation.

Used to eat beetroot as a kid but haven't done these many years-since recognising lumps of it in the vomit a young schoolmate deposited on his desk. :cross eye

Ginoide, what about these ribs then?
The ones I see seem to be sheep ones. They are often bought by Asian ladies to cook with exotic sauces. I wonder if I should try cooking some for the BF?

Or he could share the pigs' tails with the dogs......splash of ketchup........

sprouts

David - you said (about 8 pages ago I'm afraid) "Put it this way Evilsprout, I live in an area of Bedfordshire, called the 'brussel sprout belt'"

sorry about this but, ooh! that's where I hail from originally! Ah, there's nothing like getting up of a morning and breathing in that fragrant sprouty air. I don't mind sprouts as long as they're fresh Bedfordshire ones. Not your grotty wilted, rubbery supermarket things.

Now I'm desperately trying to think of some Sprout Belt fortean anecdotes. Hmm.

But on the subject of food, surely everyone likes chips, sherbet lemons, and 'cheddars' biscuits?? Separately of course.

Did you know that some types of cheese (like the Epoisse) used to be banned from public transport in France? If you've ever smelt one you'll appreciate why.

Orbyn said:
What about food you used to like but some dramatic event has turned you off them?
Late 80s, period of unemployment, low on food in the fridge, low on coin in the pocket, and feeling a bit down, so went up to the corner shop and bought enough bacon for a sarny (food) and a Mars Bar (for the cheering up). Cremated the bacon and made the sandwich, ate it and then ate the Mars Bar.

Unfortunately the bacon was well past it's use by date. Barely 2 hours later I was starting to feel like a particularly nasty oil-slick. Then the bathroom beckoned.

Unfortunately, I'd eaten the Mars Bar after I'd eaten the bacon.

So there I am, suffering in the bathroom for what seemed like an eternity, and what's coming out of me is the exact same colour and texture at both ends!! Literally. :eek!!!!:

Predictably enough, I was back on the bacon barely a fortnight later (though from a more reputeable source from then on).

Mars Bars, however, I couldn't even look at for nearly 2 years.

Unfortunately, the effect wore off. :nonplus:

Good thread, this. It's called 'Stomach Masturbation' apparently, coined in Australia!

Putting that quite ickky though out of our heads for one minute

CHOCOLATE God, even the word looks good, doesn't it?

and chips with malt vinegar and sea salt.

i absolute LOATHE those horrible orangey biscuits with the cheese sandwiched between them. Yeukh!

And I'm totally indifferent to vanilla ice-cream and peanut butter.

How about Marmite? I adore it, but my husband and son won't come anywhere NEAR me for hours afterward because i like to savour the taste and won't brush my teeth so that they can come near me! It certainly does hang around but i don't mind it at all.

And if your potatoes are grey you need to throw them out, yes, OUT! They are NOT good.:eek:

Marmite, bloody good stuff,:D here is a quite good thread.

escargot said:
- it's a shame you were turned off that because as food poisoning takes a while to develop it wouldn't have been the pizza's fault!

Hello Escargot. Not sure about that. A few times (Dodgy fish, Wierd Cheeses, Prawn balls from the depths of the Freezer etc.) I have barely had time to finish ( or actually had to interupt) the meal before/because my Stomach has been giving eject commands to my Orifices. and it all certainly had the same effects as the more commoner 4-6 hours lapse to the state of "wheres that toilet!" I remember once living and sleeping in the bathroom for 2 days solid within 25 minutes of consuming a dodgy kingfish steak, you would have thought the first upchuck would have cleaned the offending food out but I only wish it had. Maybe its a combinational thing , your digestive system teetering on the edge of the abyss, from the abuse of other things. The straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

Chant said:
And I'm totally indifferent to vanilla ice-cream ......
But have you tried it with strong blcak coffee poured over it?:blah:
Xeno, you're a martyr to your digestion, I've only had this experience once, when a Wendy's Whopper burger came back up - in a waste bin on Hounslow High Street - ten minutes after I'd eaten it. And nobody there to hold my hair; most embarrassing.

Beakboo. I know the feeling. I think sometimes your stomach just knows what ain't right and just cuts to the chase or in this case the upchuck. I suppose it saves on that strange state where you really think you are not going to be sick if you try hard enough and if you could only find that comfortable position on your bed where none of your internals are arguing with you. Hope your hair didn't get too Mancky. I guess Wendy's are not what they used to be.

I have always wanted to try marmite. There is an interesting brance of a British Grocer in the West Villiage NYC that carries it but it cost ten dollars a jar and I have never felt impulsive enough to buy it. One thing they have there which I flip over though, is Lion Bars. A rare chocolate fix for me!

Has anyone ever had Japanese Natto? It is truly strange: a Japanese fermented soy product that is gray and sticky gooey ooey. I tried it once in sushi and still cannot decribe how it tasted except completely alien.

:tongue: :tongue:

What about canned deviled ham? My mom used to give it to me on toast at a kid so I bought it the other day for the sake of nostalgia. EEEEW. I had to toss it because it looked and smelled less appetizing than my puppies food.

Dreemik: try freezing Lion bars, they taste so much better.

frozen lion bars sounds excellent!!!!!

does anyone else like small spring radish with salt as snack/crudite?
once I served them on the table at a buffet/cocktail party and a couple of people stood horrified, as if I was picking weeds out of the garden and serving it to them!

Has anyone ever seen the Vincent Price Cookbook?
It is hilarious, and I am sure he exalts the radish somewere in there.
And the cocktail.......ha ha:miaow:

Back