• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

It is very weird when you try something so removed from your own culture (the japanese goo mentioned above - or probably marmite for our american readers) that you can't really describe it and your tongue doesn't know what to make of it. I once tried one of those Japanese pickled uboshi? plums - that would come into the eh?? category for me.

yeah
umeboshi
don't love it, just ok

when my gf was pregnant and nauseous (sp.?) the only thing she felt like eating, or craved, was umeboshi
i had to go to i don't know how many restaurants looking for <nighiri sushi with umeboshi>
thank god a japanese lady we know made her some <nighir sushi with umeboshi)

that said, does anybody know (and love) those japanese pickles called oshinko?

Re Peanut butter & allergies:

mike_legs said:
I'm sure we do. But just 'cause you're deathly allergic doesn't mean you don't like it.:cool:

How would you know?

"I think I'll try some peanut butter today - slurp, slurp - mmm....nice....I think I'll try some mor.......ack!!" :D

hachihyaku said:
I hate strawberries. Whole strawberries.
In smoothies they're great, but not whole. Same with oranges: orange juice good, oranges bad.

I agree with you on oranges - definitly. I just don't like the texture of oranges, or the fact that you have to work so hard to eat one, but i LOVE orange juice!!!

Strawberries on the other hand i absolutely adore!!!!! yummy yum yum!

chips - everyone loves 'em don't they???

whyteowl~ said:
My boyfriend hates strawberries , my housemate hates all fruit and peanut butter and chocolate (together).

I've met several people who seem to eschew all fruit and veg.

Fine. Whatever you wish to eat or not is no business of mine.

I just wonder how their *ahem* digestion works. :?

:bump:

By coincidence after reading about fake bacon on another thread I came across this.

15 years later, the debate still rages. :chuckle:

I remember reading that, after Bruce Lee died, Hong Kong studios were so determined to leech off his name that new martial arts "stars" appeared overnight. There was mention of Bruce Li; even - God help us! - a "Bluce Ree"!

That, to my mind, is the status of "fake-'un": the Bluce Ree of foods.

maximus otter

Last edited:
I class chips in the same league as bacon. I love the smell, but after a couple of mouthfuls I wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm very uncritical about foods and will eat anything I'm not allergic to, but I'm pretty meh about a lot of it.

I class chips in the same league as bacon. I love the smell, but after a couple of mouthfuls I wonder what all the fuss is about. I'm very uncritical about foods and will eat anything I'm not allergic to, but I'm pretty meh about a lot of it.
Yup, chips're always a disappointment. Well, chip shop ones are. They smell delightful with their ketchup and vinegar but are too hot to eat, then are suddenly stone cold.

Those chunky ones you get with a meal though, they're good.

I'm the same. With chips anyway. When I was young I would have loved chips especially deep fried ones, but we didn't have them at home (I'm glad now really, to be honest). But on the odd occassion that I do have some nowadays, I never really enjoy them as much as I'd hoped. Plus the house smells of fried food for a week.
Im more a bread/cheese/olives kind of chap.

Yup, chips're always a disappointment. Well, chip shop ones are. They smell delightful with their ketchup and vinegar but are too hot to eat, then are suddenly stone cold.

Those chunky ones you get with a meal though, they're good.
I wouldn't trust chip shops if you're vegetarian Scargy.

I'm the same. With chips anyway. When I was young I would have loved chips especially deep fried ones, but we didn't have them at home (I'm glad now really, to be honest). But on the odd occassion that I do have some nowadays, I never really enjoy them as much as I'd hoped. Plus the house smells of fried food for a week.
Im more a bread/cheese/olives kind of chap.
Totally with you on this Floyd. I’ve never been a huge fan of chips, even as a kid I’d ask for them not to be put on my plate.

However, I will say this. My village pub does the best chips ever I’ve ever tasted. They are triple fried, then once fully cooked laid onto a baking tray and spicy salsa poured over them, then red Leicester cheese and jalapenos sprinkled over the top, then put back in the oven for the cheese to bake up.

Incredible, trust me

Some years ago, I saw for sale some port and stilton chocolates. I subsequently learned that they were made by the people who were looking to find, grow and sell the legendary “King bean” eaten by Inca royalty as it didn’t contain the tannins that caused gas. They also reasoned that at Christmas everyone liked; port, stilton and chocolate so they would combine them and market the result.

I purchased them as we were seeing friends that night. I told the friends about the chocolates and said they sounded disgusting. They fell for it and said “Oh we’d have eaten them.”

So, we did. Utterly ****ing disgusting. They started out tasting like cheap raspberry creams, then a sort of mouldy turpentine flavour kicked in after which none of us could continue. I ended up putting them in a bowl of chocolates and watching people play an unwitting game of Russian roulette with them. :evil:

The moral may be that there are things that lots if not everyone likes but it is not necessarily a good idea to combine them!

The King bean search was featured in a Sunday Times article but I never heard any more about it. I don’t think the article was April 1st and it did mention the god-awful chocolates which were only too real. :puke2:

Some years ago, I saw for sale some port and stilton chocolates. I subsequently learned that they were made by the people who were looking to find, grow and sell the legendary “King bean” eaten by Inca royalty as it didn’t contain the tannins that caused gas. They also reasoned that at Christmas everyone liked; port, stilton and chocolate so they would combine them and market the result.

I purchased them as we were seeing friends that night. I told the friends about the chocolates and said they sounded disgusting. They fell for it and said “Oh we’d have eaten them.”

So, we did. Utterly ****ing disgusting. They started out tasting like cheap raspberry creams, then a sort of mouldy turpentine flavour kicked in after which none of us could continue. I ended up putting them in a bowl of chocolates and watching people play an unwitting game of Russian roulette with them. :evil:

The moral may be that there are things that lots if not everyone likes but it is not necessarily a good idea to combine them!

The King bean search was featured in a Sunday Times article but I never heard any more about it. I don’t think the article was April 1st and it did mention the god-awful chocolates which were only too real. :puke2:
I wonder if they even tasted those chocs when they came up with the idea?
What an odd combination.

I wonder if they even tasted those chocs when they came up with the idea?
What an odd combination.
I didn't find anyone who could finish one, let alone who liked them and there were about twenty in the box!

I swear a lot of those weird combination foods are manufactured exclusively for YouTube influencers to do taste test videos with.

I'd eat them. :)

Eaten worse anyway.

I swear a lot of those weird combination foods are manufactured exclusively for YouTube influencers to do taste test videos with.
This was over thirty years ago, influencers hadn't been invented yet. :) Maybe one of them will see this and get them re introduced.

I never meet a hamburger sandwich that I didn’t love.
main-qimg-f3adeb8cc4cdcbc4f9b6e1937c4fd119

Back