• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Football Ghost Crowds & Cursed Grounds

Durhamghostwhisperer

Junior Acolyte
Football ghost crowds

Me again just been thinking if there can be ghostly sightings of roman soliders marching or ghostly battles which is said to be caused by all the energy produced then could there be ghostly football matchs or ghostly conserts with all the energy produced?

There was a famous football manager who once said that "Football isn't a matter of life and death - it's more important than that" !! (To be fair, his tongue was firmly in cheek when he said it - and that sounds like another candidate for Strange sayings.)

But this does point out a significant difference: in a battle you might be seconds away from death, whereas in a football match on a bad day you might get a red card (or possibly a broken leg).... Really, there is no comparison in the psychic stress involved.

(I like footie, me -

glorious synchronicity, I was halfway through typing 'footie' when a Digiguide TV reminder popped up on the screen to tell me that The Premiership is starting shortly!

- I had to go out last night after hearing that Arsenal were behind to a Man U goal, but I was chuffed to hear later on that Arsenal had won 3-1!! Heh, heh!)

I'm going back about 8 years or so here, but when possibly Blackpool FC were going through a bit of a bad patch there was a report on TV about it being caused by the ghost of some sailor haunting the offices.

mr chopper said:
if anybody know's the name of the team please, post it!

It's Southampton, they've just moved into St Mary's.

I believe that when Liverpool's Kop was redeveloped they found a skull or something under it which was put back.

Also, I think it was Barry Fry who piddled in each corner to counter a curse.

Don Revie (the greatest ever football manager) brought a gypsy medium in to Elland Rd after Leeds suffered a run of bad home form and strange injuries. This was in the lmid 60´s. She informed him that the land on which the ground was built had been purchased forcibly off a group of romanies who had cursed the ground b4 leaving. She informed him that if she didnt lift the curse then Leeds would never be promoted to the first division. She also advised the Don that the club´s peacock badge was unlucky and should be changed, advice which the great man followed.

There's a shedload of 'gypsies cursed the ground our football stadium was built on' stories about, featuring many different teams. I recall a previous issue of FT covered it, going back about five years I think.
Still, sounds a better excuse for a poor run of form than 'my football team is crap.'

on the Gypsy curse theme, Ive seen the Don Revie story in the LUFC matchday programme, in several fanzines and heard it off my Nanna. Im 100% certain the badge was changed on the orders of a Gypsy Lady (I remember seeing a Photo of her and the Don 2getha) but ive heard various "Gypsies cursed our ground" tales too. Mostly from Chelsea fascists.

On BBC radio Bristol yesterday they were talking to a man who has just had a book published about football and death which includes a chapter on football ghosts etc , it sounded like a great book but I wasn't really listening and all I could write down about it when they finished was that it was published by 'Robson's' and cost £6.99 . It has other stories in such as people dropping dead as they score a goal ( 'at least he died happy ' ) and companies that will paint your coffin in your team colours . There is apparently a haunted goalpost which includes the ghost of a hamster which halped the home team win . ( by distacting the opposition ) .
Marion

The book is called 'The Final Whistle' and is written by Graham ( can't find last name )

The Gruinard has a feature here on why Becks missed that penalty against Turkey. Supposedly, Fenerbahce's ground is cursed (like so many others, it seems) but is more likely to be the boggy state of the pitch.... :rolleyes:

Re: Football ghost crowds

ufonerd said:
"Me again just been thinking if there can be ghostly sightings of roman soliders marching or ghostly battles which is said to be caused by all the energy produced then could there be ghostly football matchs or ghostly conserts with all the energy produced?"

But do the emotions released by the athletes participating in a football game compare very highly with those released by the combatants in a major military engagement?

The player (operative word) doen't enter a football game with the expectation of literally slaying his opponent or else being killed himself. And hundreds or even thousands more combatants are involved in a military engagement than in a sporting contest.

rynner said:
There was a famous football manager who once said that "Football isn't a matter of life and death - it's more important than that" !! (To be fair, his tongue was firmly in cheek when he said it - and that sounds like another candidate for Strange sayings.)

Aye his tounge was firmly in cheek, this is a saying I dont think ive ever heard anyone quote correctly, it comes from the great man Bill shankly and he said:-
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that

The Dead Girl's on OUR Side

There's a high school in the United States (alas, I've forgotten the location, though I probably saved the file somewhere) which has its gymnasium built directly over a little girl's grave.

The father deeded the land to the city for the school, but with the stipulation that his daughter's grave not be moved.

The school athletes never forget to tell their opponents that "the dead girl's on OUR side."

I used to live very near Selhurst Park in South London. It was the shared ground of Crystal Palace and at the time, Wimbledon. Apart from the parking nightmare, it was always said that gypsies had laid a curse on the area as it used to be an orchard and they were brutally punished when caught stealing from it.
The whole area was said to be part of a gypsy camp and part of the 'Great North Wood' that provided the oaken timber that launched the first ever fleet of British ships.
Digressing a tad, I went to an FT convention some years ago and one of the guys selling books there mentioned that there was a high proportion of 'interested' people coming from that neck of the woods...maybe it was something to do with the antennas but it's a little bit just outside of London with a high strangeness factor.

My tupennorth anyway.

Our local ground is cursed by the council who own it and wont let us have a new one

Back