• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

For a friend

Iamroachford

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My friend told me about a few things that happened to him when he was younger so I said I’d post them on here to get some of yer views…….. He typed the following…

From the day I was born until I was eight, I lived with my Mum, my Aunt, my cousin and my Grandmother in a four-bedroom house. Like most normal children, I often had the jitters about going upstairs on my own after dark. Whenever I found myself in this position, I used to give a ‘running commentary’ to the people downstairs as to what I was doing, obviously more for my comfort than anything else. The upstairs landing was almost a corridor with the stairs at one end, four doors leading off the sides to bedrooms (one to the bathroom) and at the end of the corridor, a door to the back bedroom. This door caused me great fear.

I would insist that my mother close the door to this room whenever I was upstairs, as the feeling of dread was immense from that room. Two occurrences I believe fueled my unease of this part of the house. I once had to spend the night with my cousin in the room as mine had been painted that day and as much as I protested to the point of crying and shaking, I was told I needed to keep my active imagination in check. That night, my cousin said if I was that scared, we would sleep with the light on. Looking back, I now wish we hadn’t. I have a vague memory of waking because I thought the rain was hitting the window, but once I came round fully, I realised it was more of a ripping sound than rainfall. I looked to the corner of the room where the sound was coming from and the wallpaper was being peeled away from the wall, from the corner of the ceiling. I was terrified as there was definitely no one else in the room and the room was 10-12 feet high, quite out of the reach of most people. As the paper slowly came down, the other corner of the strip peeled away and started to move in the same uniform manner. I apparently started to scream and a minute or so later, my Mum, Aunt and Grandmother came running. After examining the evidence, they thought my cousin and I had managed to get at the paper somehow (maybe with a bent coat-hanger??) and we both got a scolding for such needless damage. We still protest our innocence to this day.

The other aspect that I find more peculiar than outright scary happened one day while a friend and I were playing hide and seek in the house. I was ‘it’ and with it being a really bright and sunny day, the thoughts of eerie goings on were far from mind. I had searched all the other rooms and the back bedroom was left. I always felt uneasy going in, but as we were having a good time, I went in talking out loud advising Roy that his time was up and I was about to catch him. The sun was streaming through he windows and it must have been dusty because there were plenty of dust specks floating in the air. The shaft of sunlight divided the room into two halves. One of which seemed to be normal, but on the otherside of the light, there was absolutely no dust specks at all. I now distinctly remember thinking how weird it was. I remember standing there for a while and I also remember while I was stood there, Roy shot out of the alcove he was hiding in (almost giving me a heart-attack in the process) and ran downstairs. Finding myself alone upstairs in that room, I quickly joined my friend. Roy said that while he was hiding, he suddenly had an overwhelming feeling of fear and that he had to get out of the room ASAP. I hadn’t told him of my feelings towards the room and the things he said to me just convinced me that there was definitely something that was best avoided in there. My cousin only ever reported one other situation that occurred. He woke one night feeling a scratching on his pine bed frame. He turned on the light and it stopped. Again, figuring he was dreaming, he went back to sleep. The next day, my Aunt found seven gouge marks on one of the legs of the bed. My cousin again protested his innocence to the point of getting a smacked bottom and still sticking to his story. At this juncture, my Aunt must have realised that something was wrong because she moved him into her bedroom and the back room was then used for storage.

Interesting and scary story. Please thank him for sharing it with us.

So, was it an old house? Has he ever tried to find out anything of the history of the house prior to his family living there? Has he ever spoken to his mom or aunt to see if they were aware of anything besides what he and his cousin reported?

More..

Didnt want to press him too much as he seemed genuinely upset at remembering these two things. He did say that he kind of remembers or he was told at some point that his grandad passed away in the room, but that was before he was born. Beside's, he said his grandad had a reputation for being one of the kindest dudes you could ever meet, so he cant draw a parrallel to that, he said today. I'm trying to gently coax him to delve a bit deeper. He has also offered to show me the property that this took place.
Erk...???????

roach

some of those experiences (i.e the feeling of fear/dread) have been associated with my mums house, i've felt it myself! also the feeling of people being in the room with you when you are alone, very unnerving. Apparently, back in the victorian era, some sisters lived there who got up to all sorts of mischief... maybe something like that happened in your friends house...

So are you going to look around the property then? :eek!!!!:

More news

The guy in question told me today that he had spoken to his Mum and one of her friends children now lives in the house. The families keep in touch to a certain extent, and last year the family who now reside in the place had a series of problems with one of their storage heaters in the same room that the other events took place in. Between August and November last year, they had to call a heating engineer over a dozen times as the back room was freezing cold, even though the storage heater was on full blast. The engineers (more than one business was used) all confirmed that they could find nothing wrong with the heaters or the electrics in the house. The said heaters were substituted three times under guarantee, but even now its still hit and miss whether or not the room is warm through the night.

Needless to say, my buddy is getting a bit jittery now.

The new owners also explained that they had heard sudden thumps and bangs from the attic (which is not converted or habitable), but they think that it could be bats or a stray bird that got in via the eaves. They have a child living in the house. And whenever the boy is getting ready for bed on the upstairs landing, he asks his Dad to close the door to the back bedroom as he’s scared that something might ‘peek its head round the door and look at him’. When I was told this, even I got a bit of a shudder. The kid has also complained to his parents that there must be a window open somewhere upstairs because sometimes he has trouble getting to sleep because of the breeze in his room.

Now I have been told that my friends Mum hadnt mentioned any of the stuff that had happened while they lived in the house, but she found this new stuff out a couple of months ago. The current propritors had clicked onto the possibility of something weird going on when they strung all of the above events together. Now my friends Mum has told them about the stuff that happened previously, they are seriously considering selling the house.

But how much of it is true??? Its too easy sometimes to attribute stuff like this to ghosts etc……

It is a bit weird though.

As for visiting, it seems a bit of a sensitive area at the moment. Dont think they are as embracing of these such things like many of you good folks (and me'self) are. Think I'll bide my time for the next week or so and then perhaps suggest we pop round for a cup of tea........around evening time. Not gonna see my friend until next Friday now but I'll keep you guys posted. In the meantime, might have a talk with his bro and see what he remembers if anything.........

roach

Possible stay-over

Im not sure if anyone is still reading this thread or not, but I have just got off the phone from my friend who has in turn been talking to his buddy who lives in said weird/haunted house. His buddy's wife is away next weekend with the children, and he has agreed that if we want to stay over on Friday night we are more than welcome. He said he would appreciate the company.

My friend had to be talked round to it (3/4's of an hour!!) but why would he ring if he didnt really want to stay???

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated......

Can't give you any advice, but I find this very interesting, keep us posted, and good luck.

Best I can think of in a hurry would be to smudge (wave up and down) the corners of each room showing signs of phenomena with a couple of sticks of incense or even sparklers and ask the spirits in a loud yet firm voice to move on. Ask to them to go toward the light or whatever you feel comfortable doing. The trick is to know that whatever is there will not hurt you but probably just needs confirmation that they need to move on into another dimension, plane, sphere, re-incarnation.
Most times a haunting is just spirit who haven't realised that they have passed on. You could also try asking the "grandfather's spirit" for help.
If you have the time and the cash, see if you can't find a willing clairvoyant to accompany you and to help. Not strictly a "ghostbuster" but someone who can see/hear/feel to explain what is happening in the house.

I know it all sounds a bit creepy and like I've been smoking my socks but from personal experience there are things we don't know and things we do and a whole lot of stuff in between.

I have a friend (a world famous clairvoyant!) in Australia who might be able to help via email if I ask her. Email me on [email protected] if you want her email addy

Roachford, we are reading, don't worry. I've been reading this thread and I'd love to know what happens.
Is there any way you can look up the history of the house? Maybe it would help if you found out anything nasty that had happened there? Just a thought.
Just wondering, but I used to live in Worcester. Which part is the house in? If you don't feel comfortable posting it here thats ok.

Roachford. My advice would be to take a dog with you (and this post has nothing to do with the dog/cat wars happening elsewhere on the board).

dogs do pickup the things we cant see / sense big style

keep in mind the knowlege that there has never been a recorded incident of someone being physically harmed by supernatural activity (unless someone can tell us different)

and wear dark trousers.

keep us posted?

Erk....can I back out now???

Cool, and thanks for all the advice/input on this. I'm trying to keep a really impartial view on everything and I am by no way expecting to go into the house and see all sorts of phenomena that will boggle my mind. But on the other hand I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled and see what goes on.

My friend (I'm getting sick of referring to him as that so I'll say he's called Scott) is slowly, warming to the idea and the guy who's house it is (he is called Greg) has said that he has a camcorder he wants to set up along with two or three Dictaphones around the upstairs. This has kind of made me aware that Greg 'wants' to find something here so I know that's something I have to be aware of. The only other thing I'm finding a bit weird is how all of this is soooo covert!! Greg's wife is genuinely upset about what's been going on and I do feel kind of sorry for her in that respect, but she'd be less pleased if she returns home unexpectedly on Friday night to find her home resembles something out of Poltergeist etc...

Chilli, cool name dude, thanks for the pointers and ideas. I'll keep them in mind and dependant on the vibe I get, not just from the house, but also from Greg I may suggest them to the other two. And your friend; the medium, I might just wait and see what the outcome of Friday is before I look to go any further, but thanks again.

And Spooky, not sure what part of Worc's it is. The only thing I know is that its not in the centre of the city. Besides, as you said, I'm not sure I'd feel too comfortable putting that info on here, fine upstanding folks that you all are. Apart from those of you who are on the floor drunk at the moment. Har har =)

Ethelred, thanks, I'll watch the botty area, mine I mean, not the other guys...................crap, that came out all wrong.

So thats where we are up to presently. I'll post more as soon as it crops up. The other thing I wanted was to see if any of you had heard of the practice of drawing a circle on the floor around yourself to protect from spirits etc. Was talking to a mate the other day and he had never heard of it, whereas I'm sure I have seen it on the odd film or two. Might even get to use it on Friday!!!

roach
:(

i think the practice of drawing a circle around you is wiccan and you have to chant something while you do it. Also, don't expect that because you are going looking for something that you will find it, about 9 times out of 10 nothing happens on hunts, and if it does it's mostly underwhelming. Children and animals are more susceptible to 'other' things than us old duffers, too... :)

I just got back from staying overnight at a haunted house where a family had been murdered in 1912. It was my first time there, but some of my group had been there a couple of times before. What I learned was that some nights it would seem as if nothing was happening, but all kinds of stuff would show up in the pictures and videotapes.

If possible, borrow a digital camera--I know there's been a lot of talk about orb pictures being easy to duplicate without supernatural phenomena at hand, but if you take a picture of a room that appears to be empty, and the camera shows an orb or something else that doesn't appear to the naked eye, it could be an indicator that stuff is happening there.

Also, I would set up a tape recorder, especially in the area where you feel the most creeped out, and see if anything gets picked up.

I would recommend having someone act as scribe to write down everything that people see, hear, feel, smell or taste. (Sometimes paranormal activity manifests as an out-of-place odor, or a sudden taste in your mouth.) Writing it down ensures that it won't be forgotten and will help you compare notes between different experiences.

Sometimes when investigating haunts, either because the fear factor makes everyone on edge, or because of the affect of the haunting itself, people can get real testy. I would prepare everyone for this possibility, and see if you can work out some sort of a plan for dealing with friction between the ghost-hunters, if they should arise.

Good luck with your investigation!

I'm going to agree with Ted (and every1 else!) here on this. Also, if u could, I'd suggest bringing along at least 1 other person - preferably one who's a little more of a sceptic, someone who'll be able to try and put a rational explaination on things. Also, two people who have similar views can be coerced into accepting what the other sees/feels/senses. I've found that on a hunt, that third person is very good for bringing u back to your senses if things get a little freaky. But don't expect tooo much to happen. 9 times out of 10, it's a boring sleepover!

Good luck and take loads of piccies with a normal camera :) Then you can post them here.

Try to go in with an unbiased outlook - probably quite difficult after you've heard the stories.

Yup I'd use a normal camera and not a digital one, I've got a digital one and I often get weird ...'stuff' appearing all over some of the pictures, its nothing paranormal its just a crap camera;)

haunted Houses?!?

Hi, I've had a few experiances like roach mentioned, and a few "Trying" to contact the sprit. One time the house I was in, looked like a bomb site after telling the sprit to move on. My advice would be not to do or say anything, but take the camcorder and a camera, definatly setup a dictaphone or two, and if you can e-mail me the dictaphone recordings, its something ive studied for about 10 years, had a a friend who will analyise your recordings for free. Best of luck.

P.S also try to find a ley line map of the area, see if any lines run through the house, in particular this back bedroom. I dont think that this would be the spirt of his grandfather. In my experiance relatives dont normally haunt the houses where family live, even if they died there.

keep us posted.....

This is what happened....

Well, we spent the night at the house on Saturday night instead of Friday and I’m not sure if I can honestly say that anything happened. We arrived at around 7.30pm and had a bit of a talk about what had been happening. Scott told Greg that I had made a few enquiry’s and that I kind of knew what we were looking for. I immediately said that this wasn’t the case and the best thing you can do in situations like this is go in with an open mind and stay observant. I also said that we should be prepared to experience nothing un-natural at all as this is often the case. After a little more banter, we all decided to stay as level headed as possible.

So it got to about 9pm and we headed upstairs to the room where the supposed happenings had taken place. All the lights were on and it wasn’t completely dark outside. I’m sure that the hype I had heard had something to do with this, but as soon as I got onto the upstairs landing, I became a little jittery. You kind of look down the landing into the bedroom and the majority of the room is off to the left, out of the line of sight. And the thing that stuck in my mind was what the kid had said about something ‘peeking its head round the corner’ – ala Whitley Striebers Communion. Euugh!! Told myself to get a grip and chill out. Set up Dictaphones and had both digital and normal cameras. Took random snaps throughout the evening but they ain’t developed yet. Nothing suspect turned up on the digi-cams. Have the Dictaphones to listen back to tonight so we will have to wait and see on that front.

The only things that could be construed as peculiar were as follows.

At about 12.48am, Scott and Greg were talking quietly and I was lying down with my eyes closed but definitely awake. All three of us experienced what could only be described as a surge in air pressure, like when you take off in a plane and you have to take gulps to release the pressure in your head. We all felt it. If anyone has any ideas, then get em’ posted because I have no idea how that could have happened. The room certainly isn’t airtight.

The other thing (that I am trying to stay rational about) occurred at around 2am. I was again lying on the bed on top of my sleeping bag. Everyone must have experienced when you get tired and you get what I can only describe as a muscular twitch. I tend to get them loads in my eyelid, but I have had them on my leg and shoulder before. Well, I am lying on the bed and it feels like someone pokes me on the outside of the right calf. This happens four times. Four times in a very uniform sequence. Kind of one-and-two-and-three-and four. Does that make sense???? I mean there were equal spaces between each twitch or prod. That scared me. Woke the others and told them.

And that was all that happened really. Some cats started fighting outside the window just after I had told the other two about the prod thing and Scott audibly whimpered and pulled the sheets over his head!! Har har. So nothing was proven or disproved. Greg is looking into the history of the house and the lay-lines thingy too. He has decided that with the property market being what it is right now, the option of moving is out of bounds for the moment. So that’s the way stuff is at the moment. I’m sure that if anything else weird happens then I’ll get to hear about it and in turn so will you lot. If anything appears in the photos or tapes, Ill post it back here for everyone to take a look at.

roachford

Well done and thanks Roachford! Supremely interesting. Keep it up & keep us posted.

Groovy. Glad it appeals. I actually wrote the above at work today and I am, at the moment, listeneing to the dictaphone tapes. But so farr all I can hear is some sleeping bags shuffle occasionally and me fa*ting once or twice. Not all that scary really. Unless you are down wind of course. he he

I just think you were very brave to stay there at all! With something like this, I would imagine you'd have to stay there over a period of time before anything happened, and any real evidence could be gathered. I'd be interested to hear if anything makes itself apparent in the pics though.
If I have nightmares tonight now, I'll know why... Why don't I ever learn and read these things during the day? :rolleyes: :(

what year was the house built? it sounds like an old victorian house from some of your descriptions, not unlike my mums old house, especially the description of the suspect room at the end of a landing, and many unexplained events have occured there, too. I think my mums house was built around 1868, maybe there's something in the design of the houses at that time. This could back up the 'recorder' theory...

Going back to the 'wallpaper peeling off' incident, I remember hearing a similar story about a newly refurbished house.

When the central heating was switched on for the first time, the new occupants watched in horror as all the wallpaper slowly peeled off the walls in the heat!:D

Could this explain the incident in this back bedroom? You said that it wasn't the room you usually slept in, so could the heating have been switched on for the first time in ages? T'would explain it possibly.

Just an idea anyhows...

Yoinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely nothing on photo's, dictaphones of digi-cameras. Not that I'm surprised. Got a bit excited at one point when looking at the LCD screen of the digi-cam, but slowly and stickily realised I had sneezed on the screen (roachford currently has summer flu). Couldnt even convince my girlfriend that it was ectoplasm. Rats.

The other two are planning another night there the week after next. I'm going to be unable to attend as I'm off home for a few days, but in the meantime, I'll keep you all posted. If you see this thread jump to the top of the list, then have a look, it might just be that they have found whats peeling the wallpaper?????

P.S. I put earlier in the thread about Gregs kid saying about the breezes in the room. Called them both last night and excitedly told them I had caught something on tape that may point to what was causing it. Played them the farting I recorded while staying over. They both put the phone down without saying a word. Guess they must have both got cut off or something?

Old House

My friends and I once or twice entered an abandoned farmhouse and it had wallpaper, several layers in fact, and we watched once as some of it tore itself downward from up near the ceiling. Oddly, this didn't spook us nearly as much as what happened later. We figured it was just the glue, usually flour and water as I recall, coming undone thanks to damp, and the layers of wallpaper pulling down and tearing itself by gravity.

Later, though, we got freaked out and fled. Before that, though, other odd things happened.

We were in the main room and something began rattling a door, sounding as if someone were striking it quiclkly but lightly with their fingernails.

We all froze but Dan, who strode forward and opened the door. A startled bird flew out and quickly left the house via a broken window.

Turned out to be the cellar where we found a grave half-dug in the earthen floor -- no kidding -- and shlves of revolting preserves. What we didn't find was a way for the bird to have gotten in.

What chased us? The police, coming to see who was poking around in the old house.

New news

I got a call today from my buddy Scott. Greg and his family have moved out of the house completely. He's not sure why yet, but they are currently staying with friends. Apparently, It was Gregs wifes choice. I have just ridden past the house, and its in total darkness, with a for sale sign up.

Erk....

You *THINK*?? Hehehehe.....Return of the amityville horror!! Wonder if they saw a demonic flying pig...:D

Roachford...you're gonna kill me with curiosity!! Pls plsplsplspls find out why they decided to forsake the house!!

Back