• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

For a friend

Probably all those ghost hunters from the board ringing the door bell :) Waiting with anticipation to hear from you Roachford with the details :)

Pests

Could be some truth in that. Certainly many folks who end up in houses where something famous or notorious occurred end up being pestered by seekers of thrills, etc.

I'd like to think it was something more sinister though, and that we find out all the details! :)
Well, as long as no one was badly hurt or traumatised in the course of things that is.

Details

Be interesting to find out the details, that's for sure.

Managed to get some feedback as to what has been going on. Greg and his family 'have' moved out of the house and from what I have been told, they have no intention of going back in.

Scott called yesterday and told me what had been transpiring. A week or so ago, The family had been asleep when it would seem they all awaoke at the same time due to the feeling of not being able to breathe. Needless to say, this was a bit disconcerting. Gregs wife started flailing around, but neither of them could get up from the bed. This lasted for about a minute alledgedly. Then, as soon as it had come, the feeling went. They could both move again and Gregs kid was screaming in his room. Obviously they both ran to the kids room, but as they got to the landing, they both heard the door to the back bedroom click closed. They didnt see the door, but (and even I remember this as it was a distinctive springy sound) as the door closes, the catch kind of resonates once it is shut. Its an old sprung ball and socket type of catch, while all the other handles on the doors, have to be turned to open. This added to the already monumental fear.

They got their son, who it seems had experienced the same thing, got the car keys and turned up at Gregs Mums house at about 2.30am.

When I heard this, I wasnt too shure how to react. But when I saw the for sale sign on their house, I guessed something must have been wrong as they are selling their house at a current 15K loss to themselves. Something seems to have scared them so much, they are willing to pay £15,000 to get out of there.

Me too. Not sure wether or not I'd be so keen to spend another night in there. Something's not right there.

Bad Scare

Was this the only incident? Or had there been other goings-on that culminated in this last attack?

More to the point, what exactly was it that would have triggered the "attack"? I mean, less than nothing happened that night that you stayed there, so why now? Something must have precipitated it. (Or not...I'm not exactly well versed in the logic behind the behaviour of spirits). Roachford, do you think you'd be able to find out what exactly had happened up to the point that the events happened? What the family members got up to up until then?
OMG this is so exciting!
Are you SURE that you don't wanna spend another night there??? *grin*

They might not want to talk about it though. I'm not sure I would. :(
Do you have to admit to a house being haunted when its sold at an estate agents?? Surely ppl will wonder why it's being put on the market so cheap?

Spooky angel said:
Do you have to admit to a house being haunted when its sold at an estate agents?? Surely ppl will wonder why it's being put on the market so cheap?
no, you don't 'have' to, it's up to your conscience, but ppl will want to know why you're knocking money off it, though...

Disclosure Laws

Many states have full-disclosure laws and failing to mention haunting might well constitute breach of contract and grounds for a lawsuit.

Be an interesting question to ask a lawyer.

There was a case recently (I may have read about it here somewhere), either in the US or the UK, where the buyers of a house were able to back out of the purchase a few months after the sale had gone through. The judge voided the contract because it could be proven that the former owners knew the house was haunted, and didn't disclose it prior to the sale. I don't think that sale price (whether below market value or not) was considered in the judgement.

Ted - I heard about that case too, it was in the UK.

Roach, your description of the night the family fled sounded decidedly creepy. It also reminded me though of some descriptions of alien abduction. I once saw a documentry on the 'Old Hag Syndrome' and peoples accounts of abduction also fitted in with the feelings and curcumstance of this syndrome. In particular I was reminded because of the paralitic/suffication sensation, also the door closing, someone/thing making a quick exit from the now fully concious subjects? I wonder if you could find out if any of the persons involved have experianced any incidences of unexplained lights or noise, or if the area has had any reports of these phenomina?
It just another theory that can be looked into. I think the family were right to vacate if the 'attacks' had become more phsyical. In stories similar it seems to increase this way. Also, perhaps now you could convince a medium to accompany you, or find out if there is a local ghost watch group that could help? It deffinatly would seem a waste to just leave things as they are (To much of an X-files ending! lol.)
BTW, fasinating reading, and as for staying in the house, you're a braver person than I!

It could be the 'old hag syndrome' but to affect all the people in the house at the same time?

Get Testers and Alarms

I was thinking more along the lines of carbon monoxide poisoning. It would be a very good idea to get test kits and alarms for CO poisoning, especially so another family isn't adversely affected. Clearing this as a possible cause is vital, I'd think.

No news

Yeah, theres something going on, even if its not paranormal. I dont want to be seen to be harrasing the people involved. So, unless new info is relayed by Scott, then I may leave it for a week or two. I think I would have second thoughts about going in there again...maybe??

And the Old Hag syndr, was something I didnt even think about. Nice one. Iguess we will have to wait and see..

ninja said:
It could be the 'old hag syndrome' but to affect all the people in the house at the same time?
There's a theory that the Old Hag could be brought on by electromagnetic field effects, which could explain collections of phenomena associated with one place and maybe even with a group of people - not everybody is sensitive to these fields but perhaps there's the right collection of people in this case with the same sensitivity. Perhaps a family might have the same genetic disposition to EM sensitivity? The "feelings of dread" in the house certainly sound familiar in that respect. The fear generated by these fields may then amplify relatively mundane things into physical manifestations of the phenomenon?
All guesswork of course ;)
It would be great to take some readings of EM field levels if possible, though not being an expert on this subject there's nothing I can advise of what to use or what to look for!

Hag Rides on Still Air

I think the Old Hag syndrome is brought on by sleep apnea, whereby the sleeper fails to take a breath for quite some time, and oxygen starvation kicks in a panic response, which is then frozen for a time by the body's hypnogogic paralysis that keeps us from flailing too much as we sleep. Thus we awaken, but not quite, and feel held down, sat upon, crushed, and unable to breathe.

If that theory were true (Sorry, I am unsure as to wether this is a theory you've pondered on or if it has been conclusively proven?) then that would link in very well with your CM posining idea. Do you think though, that if it were recieved in enough small doeses over a period of time (So as not to cause any great alerting symptons) that this would also effect the nervous system and bring about these feelings of dead also assosiated with the phenomina? That would explain why one particular room would have a more 'dread' effect, if in fact, it was comming from there. But then there is still the fact of the back bedroom door slaming shut? Does CM cause air pressure drops?
A reply to you, FraterLibre, and also me meandering! :)

Likely Cause

Wintermoon - Yes, I think small doses over a long period would have not only a cumulative effect, but also many unpredictable effects, too, such as hallucinations, even very brief ones. Could well account for hauntings. I've heard the carbon monoxide, being nearly undetectable until recent times when we developed the testers, can be insidious, showing up only sometimes, etc.

Molds are also suspected in some hauntings, but I'm not sure how well researched that's been.

Back