• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

For Fans Of Griffins, Folklore, Fantasy & Fort

amarok2005

Ephemeral Spectre
My ebook The Eyrie: A Book of Gryphons is now available on Amazon Kindle. As I say in the Introduction, I searched for pictures of, articles about, and stories containing griffins/gryphons in my youth and found little beyond Alice in Wonderland. So I had to write essays and fiction of my own.

The Eyrie was planned to be a collection of stories and novelettes about the fabulous bird-lions, but I had collected a lot of obscure information on the winged wonders, so I included numerous essays about them as well. Old cryptozoological friends like the Brentford Griffin and the Jersey Devil appear, and we find out what griffins have in common with Japanese Daikaiju, Peruvian petrol stations, an Irish gardening tool, and those pudgy little cherubs on greeting cards.

https://www.amazon.com/Eyrie-Book-G...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EWM7XT8N83NH32DPKHJT

The hero of one story, "The Curious Adventure of the Jersey Devil," should be familiar with readers of the FTMB:

Charles carried in a well-wrapped package as Anna cleared the kitchen table. The writer tore the brown paper like a boy on Christmas morn. He opened the box and pulled out several large volumes. Orange letters on blue cloth spelled THE OUTCAST MANUFACTURERS.

“Oh, Charles,” said Anna. “Your first book!”

The writer set his arm over his wife’s shoulders.

“Yes, Mama. Things will be different from now on. No more fish-head stew, if I have anything to say about it.”

Anna shuddered. Charles gave her a squeeze and stepped over to his writing desk.

“And there’s no time to rest on my laurels. I’m thinking of another book.”

“Another book? Already?” asked Anna, pulling the last of the novels from the cardboard box.

“Yes,” answered Charles Fort. “A book of frogs, and monsters, and visions in the sky. A book with volcanoes of dialogues and hurricanes of soliloquies.”

Back