• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foreign Objects Moving / Migrating Within One's Body

elffriend

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is probably the best place for this tale.

My ex hubby once stepped on a sea anemone (?sp) in Spain and had the spikes in his foot. The doctors left them there saying they would come out on their own.

Well 2 weeks later they did come out - of his nose!!!!! :cross eye

Last edited by a moderator:
My ex hubby once stepped on a sea anemone (?sp) in Spain and had the spikes in his foot. The doctors left them there saying they would come out on their own.
That is gross.

And, umm, do you mean a sea Urchin?

Elffriend said:
This is probably the best place for this tale.

Well 2 weeks later they did come out - of his nose!!!!! :cross eye

Could a simliar thing have happened to these children I wonder?

I have heard similar stories - an ex once told me that her uncle had some kind of accident (possibly motorbike crash) where he got a lot of gravel under his skin (possibly in his leg) and it all couldn't be removed. Years later they all suddenly popped out of his arm. It always struck me as some kind of urban legend but I can't really think how to search out information on it: "mobile foreign bodies in the human body"?

I would guess that this may be more like Mary Toft in that they are somehow faking it but both stones and throns could embedded in the human body and if there is a mechanism whereby they can work themselves out......

It would depend on the nature of the stones (they imply that rather than being actually rock they may be more like kidney stones i.e. they have an organic origin) and how closely she has been observed.

Mighty_Emperor said:
... It always struck me as some kind of urban legend but I can't really think how to search out information on it: "mobile foreign bodies in the human body"? ...

Not so dramatic, but a minor foreign body migration happened to me in youth. I drove a splinter deep into my left palm near the base of my middle finger. A portion of the splinter was too deep to get out via home first aid. I could see the fragment down under the skin. The small wound healed up over it and I went on ... About a year or so later I started having irritation in the web of skin between thumb and forefinger (on the back side of the hand rather than the palm side). Eventually a reddish area appeared with a darkish something in the middle. The dark something worked its way near the surface, and I finally dug it out. It was the embedded splinter piece from the year before.

Total 'elapsed distance' on my adult hand = 2.5 - 3 inches.

I had a gravel-related injury to a knee at about 8/9, after which bits of debris emerged from a large ugly scar for years. The last was when I was 21. It all re-appeared in the same area.

When I was mowing the lawn 20 some odd years ago, I was stung by a yellowjacket on the knuckle furthest from the hand on my ring finger.
I didnot realize at the time that the stinger had broken off deep under the skin near the bone. It was a very painful sting and caused much swelling.
About 2 years later a large round lump about the diameter of a pencil lead or slightly larger had formed at the site of the sting.
I was curious but left it alone for several months, after which it began rising to the top as layers of skin started to peel away and it got down to a near perfectly round rubbery like ball.
The ball of tissue finally started to get loose and with little effort came out , leaving a crater in my finger that did not bleed at all and eventually filled back in as normal.
I inspected the ball of tissue and saw something black inside it , so I cut it open and found the stinger inside.

During my Mother's girlhood she knew a woman who'd lost a sewing needle in her right thumb. Years later it exited her left thigh.

Around a decade ago I ran a broken wooden matchstick into the palm of my left hand. I then removed most of it (I believed all of it) with a tweezers.

A week later I felt a funny sensation in my hand and looked at my palm in time to see a piece of wood pop out, nearly a quarter-inch long.

Here's a within-body migration story about a medical device (a birth control implant) ...
How a Woman's Birth Control Implant Ended Up in Her Lung

A woman's birth control implant that went missing from its proper place in her arm turned up in her lung, according to a new report of the case.

The 31-year-old woman, who lives in Portugal, had a birth control implant inserted into her upper arm in 2017, according to the report, published July 9 in the journal BMJ Case Reports.

This small, rod-shaped device is placed under the skin and releases a steady dose of hormones into the bloodstream to prevent pregnancy. The device lasts up to five years, after which it needs to be replaced, according to Planned Parenthood.

The woman had previously used birth control implants without any problems — she'd received her first device in 2010 and a replacement in 2013. But with her most recent implant, she started to experience abnormal vaginal bleeding. Because of this, doctors planned to remove the implant; but when they tried to find the device in her arm, they realized it wasn't where it should have been, the report said.

An X-ray revealed that the implant had traveled from the woman's arm into her left lung. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/66062-birth-control-implant-migrated-to-lung.html

This Malaysian woman's attempts to loosen or eject a fish bone stuck in her throat forced the bone out of her esophagus and into the surrounding neck muscles.
Woman swallows fish bone, it migrates into her neck

When a woman in Malaysia accidentally swallowed a fish bone, it soon became a pain in the neck — the bone poked through her throat and became embedded in her neck muscles ...

The 54-year-old woman was eating a meal of grilled wolf herring when she experienced "excruciating pain over the throat" along with the sensation that something was stuck there ... She tried to make herself vomit to dislodge the object, but that only made things worse — she began to have difficulty breathing and noticed that her neck was swollen ...

She went to the emergency room, where doctors palpated her neck. They noticed a crackling or popping sound called crepitus, which can occur when air bubbles get into the tissue layer under the skin. ...

At first, doctors couldn't find the fish bone. They couldn't see it when they visually examined her throat, and it didn't show up on an X-ray. But a CT scan revealed a 2-inch (5.1 centimeters) bone embedded in a large neck muscle known as the sternocleidomastoid muscle ...

Embedded fish bones like the one in this woman's case are uncommon, the authors said. They suspect that rigorous tongue and neck movement helped propel the bone through the lining of her throat, and it then migrated into her neck muscle. ...
FULL STORY:
https://www.livescience.com/fish-bone-embedded-neck.html

PUBLISHED CASE REPORT:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0736467921001578#!

Back