• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forerunners Predicting Death

A

Anonymous

As you may or may not be aware, forerunners are a type of intervention by a "person" or thing that usually fortetells the death of someone you know.

Some common ones are knocks on the side of your house and no one is there ( 3 knocks usually), strange flashes of light in the house, pictures falling off walls. and even some dreams can be forerunners.
Well here is what happened to me about a week ago.

I had a dream one night that my mom called me on the phone. She clearly said, "I called to tell you Marion died."

(Marion is a friend of hers that lives near her)

I had not talked to my mom all week after the dream then yesterday afternoon, she called and her exact words were: "I called to tell you that Claire died."

(Claire is my aunt that lives in another province but to whom I was quite close. We spent many summers together).

Incidentally, Marion is still alive but I am taking the dream as a prophetic forerunner of the death of someone I knew.

So I am curious as to other forerunner experiences?

(P.S. I even drive a Toyota Forerunner!! Coincidence? Yes definitely..lol.)

I woke one morning and experienced an 'auditory hallucination' of a man saying, "There's a storm coming." Very loud and very clear.

By the end of the day, I'd had a huge fight with a co-worker, which nearly led to blows.

The choice of words in the 'warning' is intriguing, however, because at the time I worked for a weather forecasting company. (As an network administrator.)

:shock:

The Banshee Thread

There's also a rhyme about counting magpies - this version doesn't tell about death, but there's one somewhere that does. I can't find it at the minute, though.

One for sorrow, two for mirth;
Three for a wedding, four for a birth;
Five for silver, six for gold;
Seven for a secret never told -
Eight for heaven, nine for hell
Ten for the devil's very own self.

Digging through a book about superstitions turned up some more forerunners; the direction from which you hear a bird calling represents the following:

North - serious death or injury is near.

South - A good and plentiful harvest.

West - Good luck.

East - Love

nickedoff12 said:

West - Good luck.

East - Love

I'm always fascinating about correlations between directions and certain attributes or circumstances.

North - Earth - Fertility, South - Fire - Passion, West - Water - Mystery, East - Air - Intellect

Hence, North should be Good Harvest, South should be Love, West should be Death and East should be Good Luck.

(At least in many neopagan faiths.)

What's weird is that, if you diagram where the saying says they should go and where they should go according to me, and then draw arrows showing the shift, Harvest and Luck cross to the opposite point, Love moves clockwise and Death moves counterclockwise.

Of course, it probably means nothing but the pattern on my little scrap of paper is tantalizingly 'coherent.'

Aha! I knew there had to be a thread...
So, almost two years ago my dad was ill. We hadn’t had a diagnosis (though having seen similar symptoms in my mother-in-law I had a good idea). The day I was due to take him to see the consultant, I arrived to collect him, and he told me that the night before two pictures had fallen off the walls in the house. One of him and my mum in the lounge, one (more random subject - basically I don’t remember) in the kitchen. Coming from, on my mums side, a very traditional Welsh farming family, my first thought was that it was a harbinger of death. Dad just seemed amused by the coincidence, and off we went to the consultant. Who confirmed my suspicions. Dad had motor neurone disease, and actually died two months later.
Probably he’d put up both pictures at the same time, using the same picture cord, and it had just rotted, but still it stayed with e.

My condolences on losing your Dad.

Probably he’d put up both pictures at the same time, using the same picture cord, and it had just rotted, but still it stayed with e.

This reminds me of a discussion about pictures falling down as an omen, with a similar explanation, that I've read on here somewhere.

My dad always tells the tale of a large brass shield falling off the wall at my grandmother's wake, apparently it had been there for years and never budged. A bit late in the warning there! He said it certainly shocked everyone but lightened the mood. No one took much stock in it, I don't think. He must've claimed the shield after that because we had it on our wall all through my childhood.

Having said my mum’s lot were very traditional Welsh reminded me of an incident involving my grandmother. One of her biggest superstitions was about birds in the house. It was a definite harbinger of death, and nothing would shake her belief. Anyway, back in the Sixties my oldest cousin, and her first grandson bought her a pair of pretty glass paperweights in the shape of birds. Apparently she shuddered a bit but accepted them and put them on display in the front room. Within four weeks my cousin was killed in an accident at the pit, and my grandmother would never accept another bird ornament, though she kept the paperweights till she died. Not REALLY a harbinger, but a sad little story...

Birds down the chimney presaged a death, for my Grandmother. Wait long enough and one was sure to happen in her ageing cohort, even if any member of the family did not oblige by falling off the perch! :omg:

Digging through a book about superstitions turned up some more forerunners; the direction from which you hear a bird calling represents the following:

West - Good luck.

East - Love

I've got a family of Oyster Catchers living on the roof next to my house which is to the west so I should be in line for a lot of good luck - especially if the volume of the bird call is related to the amount of luck!

Hull trawlermen wouldn't have anything with birds on it in the house. Also, apparently, hated the colour green so much that when a new vicar painted church pews green, the locals waited til he was having a genteel tea party on the lawn and pelted him with fish heads... Well into the 20thC, the superstitions continued, so that when the local council painted things green they'd be bombarded with complaints and have to re-paint another colour. Apparently, the wool shops couldn't stock green wool and places that sold wallpaper, couldn't stock anything with birds or green on...

These things were harbingers of death and the nature of their jobs meant they were always a bit too close to that so anything protective, to ward it off, was a good idea. Some had a pattern called 'the eye of God' knitted into their ganseys, so they could ward off perils. Others, in the Humber region, including inland mariners, had a pattern called 'the Humber star' because it was a religious symbol (the Bethel star, I think). In other words; some things were symbolic of death and other things thought to have power in the opposite direction.

ETA: I think The Rime of the Ancient Mariner has a lot to answer for.

Don't we have a thread on this sort of thing? Family superstitions and such.

As a child I knew families who wouldn't have chalk in the house. Chalk wall ornaments were chucked straight out of the front door onto the pavement, where we kids'd gleefully snatch up the the broken bits for pavement-scribbling use!

The colour green and birds were both held to be unlucky by my grandmother. She had no maritime connections I can think of, being born and bred in Huddersfield. I wonder if it is a Yorkshire thing? :thought:
My Grandma too. She was a Geordie.

I'm a Yorkshire lass and haven't particularly experienced the bird one but definitely the green thing.

Back